Supercharging cost

• JOIN @TREVP AND SOME T.O.O. CREW FOR THE FIRST EVER ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT AT BASECAMP MIAMI!
    THE LARGEST ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT ON THE EAST COAST SATURDAY FEBRUARY 8th!
    Full details and RSVP here

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

F0ZZ

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t use supercharging for my P3D much, but I had to today. I came in with 38% and charged to 89%.
The fastest I could charge was 250Km/h. I was the only car at the station. Temperature was 2 degrees.

The cost was just over $14.00 which seems high to me, but the charger rate is based on time.
Should I move to another charger if I’m not getting high charge rates. I’ve been to this station before ( when it was warmer) and was able to get 900+ km/h.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When you went to the supercharger, did you navigate to it with the maps? This would have let the car precondition the battery which would have let it accept faster rates.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t use supercharging for my P3D much, but I had to today. I came in with 38% and charged to 89%.
The fastest I could charge was 250Km/h.
Can you tell us the location of the supercharger? Some of them are urban superchargers, and only support charging up to 72kW. If you're talking about the Cambridge ON location, those support 120kW charging. The ones in Etobicoke and Toronto are urban superchargers though.

@iChris93 brings up a good point. If you didn't have the car navigate to the supercharger, or if you were too close to the supercharger when you began driving, then the car wouldn't have been able to warm up the battery enough to allow it to accept a maximum charge rate. So the battery would have to warm up while charging at a lower rate before it could start accepting a higher rate.

Further complicating things, once you get above 50% state-of-charge, maximum charging speeds begin to drop. Since you began your charging session at 38%, it wouldn't have taken you long to get to that point. Because of this, I usually try to run my battery down to below 10% before supercharging, and quit charging by 60% (assuming I can make it to the next supercharger or destination at that level).

The cost was just over $14.00 which seems high to me, but the charger rate is based on time
The good news is that Tesla uses two different pricing tiers. When your supercharging session drops below 60kW, the per-minute price drops in half.

F0ZZ

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I used the Supercharger in Cambridge, and I didn’t navigate to it. I’ll have to try that next time. My concern was that the charging was very slow and I’m billed on time. I think this made it more expensive than it could have been? Does it make a difference which charger I choose assuming they’re all empty?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My concern was that the charging was very slow and I’m billed on time. I think this made it more expensive than it could have been?
You mentioned seeing 250kph. Next time, try to look at the kW rate instead. Once that kW rate drops below 60kW, then the price you are being charged drops in half. It sounds like you were beginning the charging session right around that cut-off point, so it's hard to say for sure.

If you go to your Tesla account online, and click the History link, then you should see your charging session listed there. Click on that session, and it will show you the breakdown between the two tiers, like this:

1573042844671-png.30382

Does it make a difference which charger I choose assuming they’re all empty?
If they're all empty, it doesn't make a difference.

The graph below shows how fast a (properly preconditioned) Model 3 can charge at various battery SOC levels. The yellow dotted line is the one we care about, since most locations still have V2 superchargers.

Note that the max rate begins to drop at about 55%.

F0ZZ

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was charged 10 minutes @. $0.22/min and 30 minutes @ $0.44/min. This is expensive in my book.

So if I’m charging above 60kw/h, I’m charged the higher rate? Maybe they should have more tiers?

Regardless, I’ll make sure to warm the battery prior to supercharging next time.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was charged 10 minutes @. $0.22/min and 30 minutes @ $0.44/min. This is expensive in my book.
It's cheaper than paying for gas for the same trip, but more expensive than paying for electricity at your residence.

F0ZZ

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My actual bill was $15 after checking my account. This was for one day of driving (around 220km). My VW Tdi would give me roughly 900km for $45. For me at least, Supercharging is way more expensive than my old car. On the other hand, I can charge the same amount at home for like $3, so I’m not complaining too much. And maybe if I prepared better, the results would be different?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And maybe if I prepared better, the results would be different?
Absolutely. Usually you would never charge that long at the more expensive tier. I’m guessing because your battery was cold you were at the lower end charge rate for that tier so you basically got the most un-optimized supercharging session. Try navigating to it next time.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My actual bill was $15 after checking my account. This was for one day of driving (around 220km). My VW Tdi would give me roughly 900km for $45. For me at least, Supercharging is way more expensive than my old car. On the other hand, I can charge the same amount at home for like $3, so I’m not complaining too much. And maybe if I prepared better, the results would be different?
if your total drive for the day was only 220km, what was the reason for supercharging? was this mid trip, or did you leave home without already having enough charge for the trip?
also, no matter the cost, it is always best to only stay at a supercharger long enough to get enough charge to get to the next charging stop, and plan to get to superchargers with the battery at a low SOC to make the stop as efficient as possible (the same stop recharge amount when at 60% SOC could take 4x or more as long as a stop when at 20%).