Supercharging cost is equivalent to $9/gallon???

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Jeda USB Hub - Tesla Model 3/Y USB Hub

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Garsh - We could start a thread. In your Tesla History there are invoices for each SC use with $ rates. Some are $/kWh and some are $/minute by charge rate. I think the basic information is there. Maybe have someone make a google spreadsheet.... Of course the rates will change over time. Maybe a lot to keep up with.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Garsh - We could start a thread. In your Tesla History there are invoices for each SC use with $ rates. Some are $/kWh and some are $/minute by charge rate. I think the basic information is there. Maybe have someone make a google spreadsheet.... Of course the rates will change over time. Maybe a lot to keep up with.
I was thinking something more like gasbuddy, where everybody can report current prices and it's easily searchable.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sometimes people just over-math things. The simpler comparison would be "average fillup cost", because it's something every driver can relate to.
Exactly! Even at supercharger rates:

$.26*75kWh=$19.50 for a “full tank”

I don’t remember the last time I spend under $20 on a full tank.

Whats more impressive is that I now have a “gas station” AT HOME that gives me a full tank for only $7.50!

gary in NY

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yep, $.26/kWh is equivalent to $8.76/gallon in terms of energy equivalence. But the car has an equivalent gas tank size of only 2.2 gallons (75kWh / 33.7 = 2.2) and it can go ~300 miles on that.

Apparently, the fact that the equivalent gasoline capacity of the M3 is 2.2 gals is lost on C&D. And this is where the uniformed come away with the wrong understanding of an EVs's efficiency.

I didn't read the article, and have no intention to do so. I haven't read C&D since I was a kid.

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Car and Driver seems to be getting worse and worse. A long fall from once being the best car magazine. Might be time to cancel my subscription.
(I would have the last few years, but then I find a $5/yr deal)
They have had a ton of anti-EV underhanded language buried in many of their articles over the last several years, and here they can't do basic math.
I canceled years ago and they STILL wouldn’t stop sending me magazines for the next 2 years. They went directly from the mailbox to the recycle bin. C&D is used to car companies bending over to provide vehicles for them to test in order to garnish a good review. Tesla refused to provide them with a vehicle (gratis) in 2016(?) and they’ve never gotten over it. When a new Model 3 crapped out on one of C&D’s drivers in 2019, C&D couldn’t get the news out quick enough about their Tesla’s “catastrophic failure“ and how it was the first vehicle to ever leave them stranded (I highly doubt that, btw). It’ll never change until whomever was at the C&D editor’s desk when Tesla “snubbed” them, leaves.

rrolsbe

Our Tesla Model 3 Proves EVs Are Cheaper When Charged at Home
...using Tesla's Superchargers cost the equivalent of nearly $9 per gallon...

This doesn't seem right to me. The last time I tried to figure out equivalent costs in gasoline, supercharging fell somewhere between half the cost of gas and equal to the cost of gas. So how did C&D come up with $9/gallon?

During the first 24k miles, they state that their Model 3 Long Range AWD averaged 83MPGe, which is a good bit higher than the rated 121MPGe. Ok, I can see them being a bunch of lead-foots, but they never explained how they came up with this value. The car itself doesn't report MPGe, correct? But let's accept that figure for now - it's not unreasonable. They then say that IF they had performed all charging at superchargers (at a cost of 26¢/kWh, which is a reasonable assumption for supercharging), that it would have cost them 10.4¢/mile, giving a total cost of $2,496 over 24,000 miles.

Let's see. They're comparing to a BMW M340i that has averaged 26 mpg. Over 24,000 miles, at $2.80/gallon (rough current price for premium in Ann Arbor, where C&D is located), gives $2,585 spent on gas.

So, in what universe does this make supercharging equivalent to $9/gallon? I think it's obvious that it's closer to $2.70/gallon.

The culprit is this MPGe figure. It's the "precise amount of electric energy that's equal to the energy in one gallon of gasoline". Which is fine if you want to compare energy sources, but TERRIBLE for comparing vehicles, given that EVs are 80-90% efficient while CVs are 30-50% efficient. And so another generation of C&D readers comes away from that article mistakenly believing that EVs are more expensive to drive.

Yeah, it's great to put something misleading on a Website and not have provisions for comments.

Except for one of the following two choices:

Are you surprised by this result?

Yes, I thought electricity costs were still pricey.
No I own a Tesla and found this out a long time ago.

My reaction was WHAT!!!

Last edited:

SkiTrak

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I have owned a Model S for 4 years and it has unlimited SC and when I charge other then SC I can always find a free charger usually a chargepoint one. So in about 90,000 miles I have never paid for electricity! So if I still had my previous car which was a prius which got 50 mpg. That would be 1,800 gallons of Gas @ 2.77/Gallon would be $5,000. :) :) So I am not sure where the above came up with $40,000 for $9/gallon because that would only be $16,200 for 90,000 miles

SkiTrak

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I love my Tesla but one thing no one talks about is the Vampire drain. If you do not drive a lot you can use more electricity not moving then you do driving. My car uses about 100 miles worth of energy for each week it sits in a garage. I wish Tesla would do more to make this better.

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I love my Tesla but one thing no one talks about is the Vampire drain. If you do not drive a lot you can use more electricity not moving then you do driving. My car uses about 100 miles worth of energy for each week it sits in a garage. I wish Tesla would do more to make this better.
We talk quite a lot about vampire drain here(search the threads). But yours seems very excessive. I get the impression(based on discussions on this forum) that 3-4 miles per day is about normal. Your cold weather might explain some of your 14-15 miles per day, but not nearly all of it. Are you using a third-party app that is keeping your car from "sleeping". Anecdotally, I see an average of about 1.5 miles per day of drain year round.

Klaus-rf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have owned a Model S for 4 years and it has unlimited SC and when I charge other then SC I can always find a free charger usually a chargepoint one. So in about 90,000 miles I have never paid for electricity! So if I still had my previous car which was a prius which got 50 mpg. That would be 1,800 gallons of Gas @ 2.77/Gallon would be $5,000. :):) So I am not sure where the above came up with $40,000 for $9/gallon because that would only be $16,200 for 90,000 miles
Around here the 87 octane unleaded is between 1.85 and 2.00 - hasn't been over $2 for most of last year. $2.77/gal is even extremely high to 91 octane.

The $40K "estimate" you refer to above had a C&D level (commonly referred to as a bucket full) of mis-calculation with just a pinch of sarcasm (flavor to taste).

BTW - my current Prius C has averaged 62.3MPG over the past 36,000 miles. Fuel costs have been in the range of 3.2-4.5 cents per mile since I've owned it.

Reactions: 1 person

jsmay311

Top-Contributor
Country
Country

Make sure Sentry Mode is off. (most important)

And Summon Standby Mode.

And Cabin Overhead Protection*.
(*This one may have been fixed to reduce its vampire drain in the years since it was first released. I had it set to “fan only” for only a few days before turning it off permanently due to observed battery drain even when it was parked in my cool garage and not doing any cooling.)

Reactions: 1 person

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That level of drain should only be happening when the car is unable to sleep.
SkiTrak, go through this entire list to make sure you're not accidentally doing anything that prevents your car from entering deep sleep.
There's a whole list of things to prevent battery drain.
  • Turn off smart summon standby
  • Turn off sentry mode
  • Turn off dog mode
  • Turn off cabin overheat protection (thanks FRC!)
  • Don't use the Tesla app to check the status of your car often. Using the app wakes it up.
  • Be careful using third-party apps. Some of them behave well. Some of them don't and keep waking the car back up.
  • Don't use more than one third-party app. Even if two individual apps behave well, combining them can be enough to prevent the car from sleeping.
  • If you tried out a third-party app in the past, but no longer use it, it may STILL being doing things that prevent your car from sleeping. To be absolutely sure that this isn't happening, change the password on your Tesla account. This will revoke any privileges you may have given to apps in the past.
Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.