Superchargers in Paris area

Swann

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I had (briefly) a model S, I realized that there were no superchargers in Paris and in it's northern region.

I am surprised that TESLA has no plan to deploy (to my knowledge) them in that region. There is a lot of Tesla in Paris and all Superchargers are outside Paris in the south and east (and very far).
If you compare to London for instance, there are Superchargers right inside in the center and around.

I think a Supercharger near Tesla Service Center in Genneviliers would make sense and there are a lot of free space to built one. It is also very near highways A86 and A15

What do you think? Should we discuss this with Tesla?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I had (briefly) a model S, I realized that there were no superchargers in Paris and in it's northern region.
The supercharger network was originally developed to facilitate long-distance travel. For that purpose, it makes no sense to place them in city centers.

About a year ago, Tesla finally acknowledged that they also need a charging solution for people who are unable to charge at home. So they've started placing supercharging stations within cities (at least in North America) just within the last year, and only in a few places. It feels like they've paused for a little bit to see how that's working out so far, in case they need to make some adjustments to the strategy. Unfortunately, I think you'll need to be patient - it looks like it might be a while before they expand this program to Europe.

Swann

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I will rephrase my post.
4 Superchargers exist in the center of London already. This means it does make sense.

Paris and London are very similar in the sense that both :

have mostly appartements (to recharge home is not possible)
have around 14 millions inhabitants with a very high concentration of wealth (and cars).

I don't see the difference between the two cities in terms of superchargers deployment strategy.
I think in Paris they are even less city houses than in London.

Beyond that, you may live in Paris and need to leave up north with low battery -> there is no Supercharger

Tesla does not seem to pause deployment. There is around 40 superchargers in project just in France for 2018/2019, which is quite a lot.
I am surprised none are planned in north and west of Paris (with big highways), when you have three in the south and the east.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Swann, bonsoir... :)
I quickly checked Teslarati. In addition to Senlis which I trust you know about, yet may consider far, there is also St-Germain in the Yvelines, not north clearly yet at least west.
D982C196-E0E2-49D1-83EE-5DB443E9F01F.png
Can’t comment on the London situation so agree you probably have a point there. A suggestion to T≡SLA at a minimum would make sense.

Certainly like the idea of putting it next to the SC in Gennevilliers like they have in Mérignac near the Bordeaux SC.

Samsaggace

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes ! Doing my survey for l’y future Model 3, I discovered that there are no supercharger in Paris or in the nearest suburb. I thought that this was due to Autolib deployment which attracted all new power supplies. But do you know what will be the future of those Autolib huge facilities without cars ?
Perhaps Tesla could preempt some of those Autolib facilities.

Swann

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
J'ai pas Twitter mais si l'un de vous a pour titiller tesla ou Elon Musk sur le sujet?

Samsaggace

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
J'ai pas Twitter mais si l'un de vous a pour titiller tesla ou Elon Musk sur le sujet?
Tu avais commencé ce fil en anglais, sûrement pour être entendu outre atlantique mais cela ne semble pas inquiéter nos amis. "You said Paris,... Paris, Texas I presume!"
Je me suis ému sur le sujet dès que j'ai pensé recevoir bientôt ma M3 (cf. ci-dessus), surtout avec la fermeture des bornes autolib mais rien ne vient. On dirait que notre très chère maire ne s'intéresse plus qu'aux patinettes !

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On a toujours pas de SuperCharger à San Francisco alors que la Californie est le premier marché pour Tesla. Ceci dit, il y a déjà beaucoup de bornes de recharge Level 2 et Level 3 dans la ville ce qui te permet de charger rapidement.

En France, je préfèrerai plutôt que Tesla investisse pour permettre de voyager dans toute la France car c'est toujours un frein majeur à l'achat d'une voiture électrique.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oui bien sur mais il y a tout de même besoin de densifier.

Par exemple dans ma région, si tu es un Parisien qui va au ski à Chamonix, le dernier Supercharger avant Chamonix est à Macon. Tu arrives à Chamonix avec seulement 15% de batterie ce qui rend le séjour un peu compliqué...

Samsaggace

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My feeling is that Superchargers are not well tailored for urban areas. They need to be installed in large parking lots. Tesla should propose a new design to fit in smaller places (like Autolib charge points).
That will be mandatory if Tesla will extend its catalog with SR models.
A partnership with other charging facilities is also possible.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Samsaggace

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla came out with an "Urban Supercharger" last year.
Very good point ! I didn’t notice such slim chargers. If available in Europe, they could be installed in French cities. Why not refurbishing some Autolib places with those “urban Superchargers” ?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very good point ! I didn’t notice such slim chargers. If available in Europe, they could be installed in French cities. Why not refurbishing some Autolib places with those “urban Superchargers” ?
It's unlikely you could retrofit them because Urban Superchargers, while having a compact design require a big transformer. The Autolib places could however easily accommodate a level 2 charging speed which would provide a charging speed of 35km per hour.

Samsaggace

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's unlikely you could retrofit them because Urban Superchargers, while having a compact design require a big transformer. The Autolib places could however easily accommodate a level 2 charging speed which would provide a charging speed of 35km per hour.
OK ! It's a "slim" design for the charging point only... For Paris, we need other initiatives to provide local charging utilities.

Pescakl1

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
And what about destination chargers? There are quite a few in Paris "intramuraux":
1544024906610.png
Ok, mostly in rich neighborhoods (do not go there on Saturdays...:oops:

like some said already, Superchargers are for travelling purposes, and Tesla seems to plan more and more around Paris:
1544025066994.png

And remember, you are lucky enough (we do not, and no ChaDeMo adapter for us neither) that you will have a Type 2 CCS connection, so you can plug on any CCS chargers:
1544025194073.png

I wish you urban chargers will come eventually in quite good numbers, but they may go in underground paying parkings (see Ottawa chargers as an example), so you may have to pay for parking + charging.

FredW

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Currently the best solution in Paris is Belib: You get 22kWh on their chargers, while the former Autolib network (recently token over by the city itself) lag at 3 kWh...
Have a look here