supercharger usage

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know if statistics on "hour by hour supercharger usage/availability" is available? For example I would use this information on a trip to schedule my arrival when availability is usually high.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've never seen anything like this published. Some of the 3rd party apps like Teslafi could gather and publish some stats. I don't know if the user agreements allow them to use and aggregate data like that, but they know when a registered car is supercharging and they know by GPS where you are, so data could be published based on a sample of all drivers.

Only Tesla would have all of the data though and have never seen it. Only in the car or app to know how many chargers are in use at a given time.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It should follow traffic volume.
But I suspect that at this point in the year, you are going to have to drive longer distances to find busy Superchargers. Holidays are over, people aren't travelling a lot.
While there are some East coast Superchargers that can get busy, most aren't.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While there are some East coast Superchargers that can get busy, most aren't.
not sure if you have heard of California yet, but assume if any superchargers are regularly busy, it will be those in the golden state. East Coast doesn't even know what busy looks like when compared to the Tesla traffic in California.

Here's a photo of Kettleman City (40 stalls) with just as many backed up waiting to get plugged in.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
not sure if you have heard of California yet, but assume if any superchargers are regularly busy, it will be those in the golden state. East Coast doesn't even know what busy looks like when compared to the Tesla traffic in California.

Here's a photo of Kettleman City (40 stalls) with just as many backed up waiting to get plugged in.
That's Kettleman during the holiday travel period. The poster is from Ohio. Odds are slim that they would be heading to CA. And that's why I specifically said East Coast chargers.
Some people read the forums and things that the Superchargers across the country stay busy. But that's not the case.
Most Superchargers, outside of CA, have unpaired spots pretty much always available. During holiday travel, pairing can become a requirement and rarely a wait.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's Kettleman during the holiday travel period. The poster is from Ohio. Odds are slim that they would be heading to CA. And that's why I specifically said East Coast chargers.
Some people read the forums and things that the Superchargers across the country stay busy. But that's not the case.
Most Superchargers, outside of CA, have unpaired spots pretty much always available. During holiday travel, pairing can become a requirement and rarely a wait.
your comment was worded as if over crowding was only an east coast issue. just giving a little perspective.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, I was posting from the poster's point of view.

There does tend to need to be a little graphic for many of the posts. One with CA lit up, one for the rest of NA and then rest of world. So many issues are limited to geographys.

Let's see, CA gets Overcrowded chargers, delivery center, service centers. They also get people mad at Tesla and damaging cars. CA is responsible for sentry mode, coming from the rear window break-ins. So much of the population of CA has a Supercharger within 15 miles.

Oh yea, subtract those issues and the forums get boring ;)

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know if statistics on "hour by hour supercharger usage/availability" is available? For example I would use this information on a trip to schedule my arrival when availability is usually high.
Not sure exactly where you are travelling, but I've had to wait at the Louisville supercharger. It was full 8/8 stalls and I was 3rd in line. I ended up waiting about 30 mins and charging about 40 mins. Other than that, I've never had too many issues. The Indianapolis supercharger on the southern side (on the bypass) also gets very busy. The two times I've been there it was 6/8 and 7/8 full. No wait either time obviously but close to it. Neither of those were at peak charging times of the year.

Smokey S

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The only time I’ve run into a wait at a supercharger has been the West palm beach SC behind the WaWa in my travels in Florida. I‘ve noticed the S.C. at West Sand lake road is usually crowded.

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What's the protocol for deciding who's next when all superchargers are occupied? Is there typically a line that forms? I've never encountered this situation so I don't know how that works.

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What's the protocol for deciding who's next when all superchargers are occupied? Is there typically a line that forms? I've never encountered this situation so I don't know how that works.
Yes, proper etiquette is just to pull up behind the waiting car. Hopefully the first person waiting is in a logical spot for a queue...