Supercharger charging wrong Tier rate?

sdbyrd79

Country
Country
I just charged my M3 for the first time yesterday and the experience was great! I hit a 477 mi/hr rate and put 75 miles on in 10 minutes. However, when I received the bill shortly after, it charged me at Tier 2 which is twice the cost of Tier 1. To quality for Tier 1 you should have less than 60 kW (which I did - only had about 60 miles left on battery) and not be sharing a charger as another Tesla (I had an empty spot on both sides of my car,) so I'm confused as to why I got charged Tier 2. I sent an email into support yesterday and haven't heard anything back. Has anyone else experienced this?

Nikola

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you hit a 477 mile/hour recharge rate, your car was charging at well over 60 kW. That's in Tier 2 territory.

I think you are confused about what Tier 1 and 2 mean. They refer to the rate of recharge, not the state of your battery charge. See Tesla's explanation here:
  • Tier 1 applies while cars are charging at or below 60 kW and tier 2 applies while cars are charging above 60 kW. Tier 1 is half the cost of tier 2.
  • Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
they seem to be really good with the cutover as well.
I charged recently at a full supercharger and was getting 70-80kW for the first few minutes then 65-70 for most of the charge - and they gave me the cheaper rate for the 65-70kW time.