Super Bowl EV ads.

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm only interested in EV's that take it seriously, that want to be a real no-compromises daily driver car. I tend to ignore the misguided attempts to be trendy, the EV's build solely as compliance cars to bring down the company's average MPG, and the exclusive supercars that they only expect a few people to actually buy.

An electric Hummer is something I'd definitely ignore based on the above. The Audi may or may not get my attention, depending on how well it's done.

MalloryB.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
I'm only interested in EV's that take it seriously, that want to be a real no-compromises daily driver car. I tend to ignore the misguided attempts to be trendy, the EV's build solely as compliance cars to bring down the company's average MPG, and the exclusive supercars that they only expect a few people to actually buy.

An electric Hummer is something I'd definitely ignore based on the above. The Audi may or may not get my attention, depending on how well it's done.
"misquided attempts to be trendy" good point

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

You can't deny the Hummer was a popular vehicle. This is truly where we have to get too. Build a vehicle people want, but make it an EV. Keep making it look like the Bolt or the EV1 and we are doomed, ugly as crap and people aren't going to get interested or buy.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You can't deny the Hummer was a popular vehicle. This is truly where we have to get too. Build a vehicle people want, but make it an EV. Keep making it look like the Bolt or the EV1 and we are doomed, ugly as crap and people aren't going to get interested or buy.
Don't get me wrong, the Hummer going all electric is a good thing. But I've never seen tons of Hummers driving around all over (in Ohio or in Central Florida - but maybe I'm in the wrong place?). What I'm calling a misguided attempt at embracing a fad is they take a vehicle with very low risk attached - a Hummer - and make it an EV. They don't really expect to sell many in the first place compared to more common and cheaper vehicles, so they don't care terribly much if it's a losing bet.

The braver companies are the ones building EV's they do expect to see driving around everywhere. Even moreso if they're investing in charging infrastructure to really make it stick.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Popular? Maybe in Hollywood.
"Hummer sales had its peak in 2006 when it sold 71,524 units. Ever since General Motors took over the brand from AM General, Hummer sales had a steady increase of sales from 1999 to 2006. But things suddenly went downhill after 2006 as the brand saw a serious decline on their sales. As a result of the financial crisis in 2008, the Hummer sales dropped to 9046 units sold in 2009 and 3812 in 2010. "
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/hummer-sales-figures-usa-canada/
As for ugly as crap electric trucks, I think Tesla will own that market. :p

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
But I've never seen tons of Hummers driving around
For as expensive as it was, I saw quite a few driving around in western PA back in early 2000's.
I took one on a 24-hour test drive back in 2003, just because GM offered it and I wanted to see what it was like (big, slow, and hard to see out of).

1580729690889-png.32104

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
For as expensive as it was, I saw quite a few driving around in western PA back in early 2000's.
I took one on a 24-hour test drive back in 2003, just because GM offered it and I wanted to see what it was like (big, slow, and hard to see out of).
I was careful to point out exactly where I made my observation because prevalence of certain car models varies greatly by location. For example, the Model 3 - in California they're everywhere to the point where you can probably find a parking lot filled with them. They're still somewhat rare in Central Florida, but I see them occasionally - sometimes several in one area. In other areas, they might be really scarce (I'm guessing where I used to live, in southwest Ohio, because there are still very few charging options there).

It could very well be that wherever neighborhood GDN is in, there are Hummers everywhere you look, filling parking lots like Model 3's in Fremont CA. So I can't discount when he or anyone else perceives a model as popular.

Even so, the Hummer was never really intended to be a mainstream vehicle. GM would be happy if it becomes one, but realistically they don't expect it to. It's a perfect fit for GM believing that EV's is a passing fad that will go away in a few years. Turning the Hummer into an EV is basically GM taking very little risk on what they expect to be either a small volume seller or a failure.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Even so, the Hummer was never really intended to be a mainstream vehicle. GM would be happy if it becomes one, but realistically they don't expect it to. It's a perfect fit for GM believing that EV's is a passing fad that will go away in a few years. Turning the Hummer into an EV is basically GM taking very little risk on what they expect to be either a small volume seller or a failure.
Yeah, I can't argue with that.

But SUVs are one of the most popular vehicle segments in North America currently, and they command higher prices. So this makes better sense than trying to sell an EV econobox like the Bolt at higher prices.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@JasonF is correct when he talks about the location. I know everyone gets tired of hearing about Texas and I don't like how it gets blown up either, but how many other states does GM make a special edition of their pickup for? I tried California, Pennsylvania and Florida and found nothing. However, you will find a special version just for Texas. Hummer kind of followed that lead. It may not have sold millions, but it sold in TX and it sold to Hollywood. Tell me seeing a celebrity out in your vehicle doesn't lend some street cred. I saw a couple of stories and posts just this weekend about what the new vehicle of choice is for NFL players. Geuss what - it just happens to be Tesla. I didn't hear it first hand or read the stories, that was the headline though. That is news and helps the whole brand. Hummer was good for the GM brand until the gas crisis hit. Then it failed hard.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
But SUVs are one of the most popular vehicle segments in North America currently, and they command higher prices. So this makes better sense than trying to sell an EV econobox like the Bolt at higher prices.
It does. And when GM comes out with something like Ford's Mustang Mach-e (with an investment in charging stations), that's when I'll admit they're actually making an effort. The Mach-e isn't my favorite, but it's a solid effort, and it's Ford taking some risk to enter the market.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
"Hummer sales had its peak in 2006 when it sold 71,524 units. Ever since General Motors took over the brand from AM General, Hummer sales had a steady increase of sales from 1999 to 2006. But things suddenly went downhill after 2006 as the brand saw a serious decline on their sales. As a result of the financial crisis in 2008, the Hummer sales dropped to 9046 units sold in 2009 and 3812 in 2010. "
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/hummer-sales-figures-usa-canada/
As for ugly as crap electric trucks, I think Tesla will own that market. :p
probably the near $5/gal gas prices around that time is what caused a big decline.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I saw a couple of stories and posts just this weekend about what the new vehicle of choice is for NFL players. Geuss what - it just happens to be Tesla. I didn't hear it first hand or read the stories, that was the headline though. That is news and helps the whole brand. Hummer was good for the GM brand until the gas crisis hit. Then it failed hard.
at Spring Training, when walking past the player's parking lot(s) I always look to see whats in there. the last few years, there are more and more Teslas. (next to multiple Bentley, Lambo, and other exotics - and a ton of rentals). Dont remember ever seeing a Hummer, but will look this year ;)

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
at Spring Training, when walking past the player's parking lot(s) I always look to see whats in there. the last few years, there are more and more Teslas. (next to multiple Bentley, Lambo, and other exotics - and a ton of rentals). Dont remember ever seeing a Hummer, but will look this year ;)
The Hummer as we speak of it is old news, I don't think you will find many of them these days. The true upscale SUV is the Range Rover. You will find several of those I'm sure.