Sunscreen Stains on Model 3 Seats!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EV3Tim

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unbeknownst to me, a friend wore Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-touch sunscreen, an 85+ helloplex broad spectrum uva-uvb while a passenger in my Model 3 last Thursday. He wore a tee and shorts and so the lotion was transferred to all surfaces of the black seats and arm rests, leaving white stains on the passenger and back seats.

I cleaned them as soon as I saw them with Chemical Brothers Interior Cleaner which helped get most of it off. But there are stains in several places that look more like the color has come out of the Vegan seat material. Vigorous rubbing with a glass-cleaning e-cloth with water hasn’t altered the stains much.

Any similar experiences out there and possibly a solution?

I’d be most grateful for any tips.

PS: Be careful of your passengers wearing sun screen in your Model 3!

Tim

Gunn

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had a similar experience, my 5 yr old goes to school with sunscreen on and well.. he's a 5 yr old so it went everywhere in the back seats.

I used The Chemical Guys Interior Cleaner (SPI122016) but it still left a hint of color difference, every time I wash the car I try to clean it.
Like @EV3Tim, if anyone has any tips or products that could help then please reply below.

Needless to say that now he get's his sunscreen on AT school :cool:

Spiffywerks

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Been having the same issue here myself. All the interior areas where fake leather is used. Only the steering wheel is okay.

Durability, stain resistance, etc of real leather is hard to duplicate.

Sumiguchi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had this as well with my kids in the back seat. I used a damp microfiber towel - seemed to get most of it out.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unbeknownst to me, a friend wore Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-touch sunscreen, an 85+ helloplex broad spectrum uva-uvb while a passenger in my Model 3 last Thursday. He wore a tee and shorts and so the lotion was transferred to all surfaces of the black seats and arm rests, leaving white stains on the passenger and back seats.

I cleaned them as soon as I saw them with Chemical Brothers Interior Cleaner which helped get most of it off. But there are stains in several places that look more like the color has come out of the Vegan seat material. Vigorous rubbing with a glass-cleaning e-cloth with water hasn’t altered the stains much.

Any similar experiences out there and possibly a solution?

I’d be most grateful for any tips.

PS: Be careful of your passengers wearing sun screen in your Model 3!

Tim
Neutrogena seems to leave spots on everything from my Apple Watch band to the windows on my car.

EV3Tim

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have used today a 70% solution of isopropyl alcohol on the spots with a microfiber auto e-cloth and it certainly reduced the severity. But it’s no silver bullet. Will try other solutions until one is found.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ha, I just had a similar experience after we did a family trip to the beach with everybody loaded up with Neutrogena 100!. Took three products before I could get rid of the stains. First tried Maguiars interior detailer, didn’t make a dent. Then tried Seventh Generation All-purpose cleaner, no dice. Finally busted out the Windex, that did the trick after a couple of coats. Good thing these seats can take alcohol-based products!

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great... Have to go check my car now. I moved it to and from a charger yesterday with plenty of that very sunscreen on. And it's now been baking in the sun for a day and a half.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great... Have to go check my car now. I moved it to and from a charger yesterday with plenty of that very sunscreen on. And it's now been baking in the sun for a day and a half.
Was it Neutrogena sunscreen? I’m not sure if other brands will have the issue.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a little spot on the corner of the seat and a little on the steering wheel and a little on the console cover. It seemed to mostly wipe away pretty easily. I also have a big spot on the door handle that wasn't easily wiping off. Have to try some cleaning options when I get home.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Same issue here (big time this week, as we were at the beach).

I use and always have Windex around the house. But I wonder why it's not listed on the Ultraleather website while Formula 409 and Fantastick are listed. Any ideas?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same issue here (big time this week, as we were at the beach).

I use and always have Windex around the house. But I wonder why it's not listed on the Ultraleather website while Formula 409 and Fantastick are listed. Any ideas?
because there is something in windex that could damage the material, while the others don't?