Summon settings - discussion

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Ksb466

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you have homelink set , summon can be set in the app to activate the garage door. I’ve done it several times. In the end I turned this off Because often the door was already open, so it would start the process by closing the door. While summon will stop the car from moving in time to not hit anything the homelink setting was more trouble than it was worth. Really just a cool gimmick at this point to impress a friend.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After watching the recent valentine video that showed a summoned model S opening a garage door, my buddy in Florida was skeptical that a Tesla could open the door.

After work today, I backed in the garage like usual, but did not plug in and closed the garage door behind me.

I opened up the Tesla app, waited for it to connect, then opened Summon and held down "forward" and the mirrors tucked in, the front wheels straightened out, and the tail lights flashed a few times, then it inched forward a couple of inches, and stopped about 10 inches from the door. Then the garage door opened and it inched forward about a foot until I let off the button. Since the wheel had straightened out, I didn't feel comfortable with it getting so close to the doorway. It probably would have been OK, but I didn't want to push it. So I held down the "reverse" button and again the lights flashed and it backed up until I let off the button, then the garage door closed. Needless to say I was impressed that it could open and close the garage door during my daily commute, but this blew me away.

I was so impressed, I forgot to plug in so had to go back out to the garage again.

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, Summon can open the garage door through HomeLink if set to do so in the settings, but it may also close the door if it is open when Summon begins.

Suggestion: to avoid any chance of the garage door coming down on the car itself, I added a 2nd pair of safety sensors to the garage door closer at a height equal to the leading edge of the Model 3. That way, any body part blocking the light stops and reverses the garage door. It also protects the car if the garage door is open and then Summon issues a HomeLink command which in turn closes the garage.

For me, Summon is not reliable at all vis-a-vis my garage, but works decently away from the house to avoid puddles, tight parking, etc.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, Summon can open the garage door through HomeLink if set to do so in the settings, but it may also close the door if it is open when Summon begins.
Would it do this? I have not tried in the garage, but from the demonstration by @Rick Steinwand it does not open the garage door as the first step, so it should close when it means to open. The car moves and when it encounters the door, then it opens it, then continues. When he summoned the other way, the car moved and then it closed the door. That second case I can see wanting to make sure your sensors cover the part of the car (bumper) that sticks out the furthest. However in his test case, it didn't arbitrarily try to open or close the door until after the car movement detected the door or had moved in to place

Either way I'm one of those people with no kids and I rarely let the dogs in the garage, so for 20 years my door beam sensor has always been set at the bumper height of my pickup or now, car.

Charlie W

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Although it’s been a few months since anyone has posted here, I remember reading (back around Page 9 or so) that some folks were having trouble getting Summon to work at all with their Model 3s. I’ve been one of those people — until about 1 month ago — when I FINALLY got Summon to work. I'd been getting all sorts of phone error messages, such as with the proximity sensor, settings, & other things too complicated for me to figure out. While you're probably more tech savvy than I — and I've so much respect for people like you — here’s my story on how I got Summon to work. And (I hate to admit it), for me, it took an iPhone "factory reset"-type command (or “Erase all content and settings”). A bit drastic, I know — but actually, Summon wasn’t my primary reason for doing this.

I’d had a ~98% success connectivity rate with my Model 3 and iPhone 6s all along — with an occasional Bluetooth off/on toggle needed. But after my phone’s internet starting running pitifully slow and apps were running worse, my choice was either to buy a new iPhone (I didn’t like that idea), or do a "factory reset" (I wasn’t thrilled with that choice either), but I was willing to give it a try. Having never done an “Erase all content and settings” before, I backed up my phone to my computer, wrote down the apps I feared I might need to reinstall, held my breath, and hit the “Erase” button. After the dust settled & I reinstalled the Tesla app, I tried Summon, and it worked! Forward/Backward. It was amazing. Yes, reinstalling my other apps was annoying, but my phone was working better than before, including my phone’s internet — and Summon. While I can’t guarantee your success, that’s how I got Summon to work (by accident). Best wishes to you!

~Charlie W

Mods: feel free to move, edit, or delete my post. You do a great job of keeping M.3.O.C./T.O.O. a great place to come to for friendly Tesla Model 3 info. BTW, you can even delete this little paragraph. ;-)

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I love seeing success. That does seem to be extreme and no fun to go that far, but this does say that software and the phones can just go wrong and need some new life. Glad this has brought you Summon success !

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Although it’s been a few months since anyone has posted here, I remember reading (back around Page 9 or so) that some folks were having trouble getting Summon to work at all with their Model 3s. I’ve been one of those people — until about 1 month ago — when I FINALLY got Summon to work. I'd been getting all sorts of phone error messages, such as with the proximity sensor, settings, & other things too complicated for me to figure out. While you're probably more tech savvy than I — and I've so much respect for people like you — here’s my story on how I got Summon to work. And (I hate to admit it), for me, it took an iPhone "factory reset"-type command (or “Erase all content and settings”). A bit drastic, I know — but actually, Summon wasn’t my primary reason for doing this.

I’d had a ~98% success connectivity rate with my Model 3 and iPhone 6s all along — with an occasional Bluetooth off/on toggle needed. But after my phone’s internet starting running pitifully slow and apps were running worse, my choice was either to buy a new iPhone (I didn’t like that idea), or do a "factory reset" (I wasn’t thrilled with that choice either), but I was willing to give it a try. Having never done an “Erase all content and settings” before, I backed up my phone to my computer, wrote down the apps I feared I might need to reinstall, held my breath, and hit the “Erase” button. After the dust settled & I reinstalled the Tesla app, I tried Summon, and it worked! Forward/Backward. It was amazing. Yes, reinstalling my other apps was annoying, but my phone was working better than before, including my phone’s internet — and Summon. While I can’t guarantee your success, that’s how I got Summon to work (by accident). Best wishes to you!

~Charlie W

Mods: feel free to move, edit, or delete my post. You do a great job of keeping M.3.O.C./T.O.O. a great place to come to for friendly Tesla Model 3 info. BTW, you can even delete this little paragraph. ;-)
I had an opportunity to use summon yesterday when someone parked so close to me I could barely get into my car. My Tesla app said proximity sensor is covered. It was not. So I squeezed into my car and my shoes fell off in the process.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had an opportunity to use summon yesterday when someone parked so close to me I could barely get into my car. My Tesla app said proximity sensor is covered. It was not. So I squeezed into my car and my shoes fell off in the process.
I'm trying to understand how you fit into your car, but your shoes didn't.

How big are your feet (and your massive shoes)?

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm trying to understand how you fit into your car, but your shoes didn't.

How big are your feet (and your massive shoes)?
So here’s the deal Rick. I was able to barely squeeze into my seat with the door open a crack. When I pushed myself into the seat. My shoes (slip on) sized 9.5 medium got caught on the door jamb and they fell off. What really pissed me off it that it was cold and my phone screen had some condensation on it and I couldn’t engage summon to back the car out. It said proximity sensor covered. I tried a few times. The phone went from my pocket to a cold parking lot in partial fog. So I definitely am not Big Foot.o_O

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
What really pissed me off it that it was cold and my phone screen had some condensation on it and I couldn’t engage summon to back the car out. It said proximity sensor covered. I tried a few times. The phone went from my pocket to a cold parking lot in partial fog.
I've never had an issue in the cold and wet and fog with my phone's proximity sensor (as long as I keep solid objects (like my hands) away from the top of the screen). Do you have one of those plastic or thin glass screen protectors on there?

Last edited:

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've never had an issue in the cold and wet and fog with my phone's proximity sensor (as long as I keep solid objects (like my hands) away from the top of the screen). Do you have one of those plastic or thin glass screen protectors on there?
I don’t PNW. It has worked before, but when I needed it most it failed. I really needed summon that time if only to get my shoes:mad:

pdp1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Many times the logical spot to run Summon ( garage or driveway) is on the boarder line of a wifi’s Range, so connections can easily drop. I find it better to just turn off WiFi when using summon in many of my uses.
I used to think that was my case because summon would always stop when my car just barely got out of the garage and it would never summon back into the garage. It turns out my driveway is too steep and summon doesn’t work on slopes.

Tesla blue 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I used to think that was my case because summon would always stop when my car just barely got out of the garage and it would never summon back into the garage. It turns out my driveway is too steep and summon doesn’t work on slopes.
do you have any idea of how steep slope effects summon?

pdp1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
do you have any idea of how steep slope effects summon?
I read that summon will not work on steep slopes in various forums online. I’m not sure of the technical reason.

I even tried a WiFi range extender to get a strong signal in my garage before I knew about this, when I still thought it was a WiFi connectivity issue. It did not help at all.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I find my Summon fails the most when I'm in a small town or rural setting. I suspect a week 4g signal is why I have a lot of trouble with Summon. It works much better in the city where I'm less likely to use it.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I read that summon will not work on steep slopes in various forums online. I’m not sure of the technical reason.
Summon operates in a mode with severe power and speed restrictions. On a given slope, if the torque required to move the car from a standstill is greater than what Summon allows, then Summon will end automatically.

This happens to me sometimes when I try to use Summon on my driveway (with something like an 8-10% grade on average). If the section of driveway where I've parked is too steep, Summon won't have enough power available to get the car moving, and will give up after about a second. If the car is parked on a less steep section of the driveway, though, Summon will work, and will have enough power to keep the car moving all the way to the top.