Summon settings - discussion

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Simple answer, Summons isn't the trustworthy right now, don't use it.

And while I don't known the specific answer to your question, I suspect not. the absolutely WORST thing that it could do is to send a garage door command. Why? Because if the door happened to be open, it would close it. Not exactly something you would want to happen.

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Simple answer, Summons isn't the trustworthy right now, don't use it.

And while I don't known the specific answer to your question, I suspect not. the absolutely WORST thing that it could do is to send a garage door command. Why? Because if the door happened to be open, it would close it. Not exactly something you would want to happen.
I would think the ultrasonic sensors should detect whether the door is open or closed.

I do agree with you that I am not comfortable using it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Assuming you have already configured the car to work with your garage door opener (homelink), you can configure “summon” to open the garage door for you before moving the car. I did this, but have not actually tried it yet. Also, if I remember correctly there is a configuration option in “summon” to tell the car if the space is tight. Within the context of the question, I am interpreting this to mean that the car will not stop if the garage door is closed and if you still have 3ft of distance - if you selected the tight option. So much to learn, so little time.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is summon supposed to open the garage door before starting to move the car?
I'm confused, does your car open your garage door when you back out normally(not using summon). Mine doesn't, it closes the door as I depart and opens it as I arrive. Therefore, I wouldn't expect it to open the door while using summon. Am I missing something?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm confused, does your car open your garage door when you back out normally(not using summon). Mine doesn't, it closes the door as I depart and opens it as I arrive. Therefore, I wouldn't expect it to open the door while using summon. Am I missing something?
His point is that if the door was already open then Summon would close the door.

To answer the OPs post ... yes Summon can be configured to open the garage door.

I personally do not have it set to that as it feels like an unnecessary piece of functionality for me.

I do trust Summon (to a point) and it generally does well how I have used it. I’ve tested standing in front of and behind the car and it always picks me up and stops. I trust it would do the same with a door or wall but won’t put it through it’s paces on that.

kort677

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is summon supposed to open the garage door before starting to move the car? Because in my case it did not. It started moving the car backward even though the door was down. The garage door is only 3 feet away from the rear bumper so I would expect the sensors would detect it and either open the door or prevent the car from moving.
I don't use summons often but on my S it would open the garage door, however like anything else in these cars I wouldn't blindly trust it to be 100%

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The car will begin begin to move with the door closed, then stop just prior to it to open the door before continuing. For those with the luxury of having 3’ between the car and door, it is alarming to see it begin to move toward the closed door, but for those that don’t panic and override summons, it does open the door (assuming it has been set up to do so).

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would think the ultrasonic sensors should detect whether the door is open or closed.

I do agree with you that I am not comfortable using it.
But the sensors won't detect an closing door coming down on the hood. If you garage door safety sensors are mounted at standard height, they are below the car body and won't see the car moving until the wheels block it. Since the car would generally have to wait for some period of time to assure that the door is open, if closing, it still may be before the door is low enough and the wheels block the sensor, as the door crumples the hood.

radio

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Works OK for me. The door opens, car rolls out onto the driveway and stops (when I let up on the button) However, I then have to use the on-screen icon to close the door as I drive off. It will auto open when I return. When not using summon, I first open the door, get in and back out. With that routine it does auto-close as I drive off.

radio

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you've configured Homelink there is a button on the upper right corner of the summon screen you can open or close the door if needed.

Country
Country
When I Summon my Model 3 while in "Continuous Press" mode the car backs up a little, stop within inches of the garage door and then the garage door opens. If I were to set it to "No Continuous Press" will the garage door open 1st before any movement of the car happens?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I Summon my Model 3 while in "Continuous Press" mode the car backs up a little, stop within inches of the garage door and then the garage door opens. If I were to set it to "No Continuous Press" will the garage door open 1st before any movement of the car happens?
No, it will stop when it senses the garage door (or what it thinks is the garage door), then issue an RF garage door signal to open the garage door. Once the door is open it will continue on its way until it senses another object, you tell it to stop via the phone app, or it reaches the current linear limit of summon (which I believe is currently 39 feet or so).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, it will stop when it senses the garage door (or what it thinks is the garage door), then issue an RF garage door signal to open the garage door. Once the door is open it will continue on its way until it senses another object, you tell it to stop via the phone app, or it reaches the current linear limit of summon (which I believe is currently 39 feet or so).
Interestingly enough it will continue to steer around objects once in the driveway. It doesn’t always do a perfect job but in my testing it has never come close to hitting anything.

Country
Country
Is summon supposed to open the garage door before starting to move the car? Because in my case it did not. It started moving the car backward even though the door was down. The garage door is only 3 feet away from the rear bumper so I would expect the sensors would detect it and either open the door or prevent the car from moving.
I agree with others on not fully trustworthy. My experience it worked coming out of the garage, however, having it go into the garage it stopped short and tried to close door. I had to stop the door or it would have hit the back of the car.

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with others on not fully trustworthy. My experience it worked coming out of the garage, however, having it go into the garage it stopped short and tried to close door. I had to stop the door or it would have hit the back of the car.
Did adjust the Summon parameter for the front distance to allow the car to drive deeper in your garage?