Summer Compound Tires

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey Everyone,

I took delivery on my beautiful PW Model 3 with factory 19" sport wheels. I love driving, and the Model 3 has really impressed me so far, but when I push it the dynamics feel a bit tire-limited to me. This isn't a huge surprise because I'm sure the tires were spec'd with maximum range in mind.

More specifically, the turn-in on the Model 3 is fantastic at low speeds. The only other car I've driven with a similar feel was a 911 Carrera S. You can definitely tell there's no heavy engine out beyond the front axle. However, at high speeds the front tires give up and there is some significant understeer on turn-in.

I also suspect that acceleration may be grip limited. I don't detect wheel spin when I floor it from a stop, but I'm thinking the motors are able to adjust their output before I notice the back tires losing grip.

Anyway, I'm curious if anybody has swapped in summer compound tires on the 19" sport wheels.
  • What tires did you choose?
  • How have the tires impacted range? Road noise? Comfort?
  • Have the tires improved the dynamics of the car?
  • Have the tires improved acceleration?
  • Anything else?

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey Everyone,

I took delivery on my beautiful PW Model 3 with factory 19" sport wheels. I love driving, and the Model 3 has really impressed me so far, but when I push it the dynamics feel a bit tire-limited to me. This isn't a huge surprise because I'm sure the tires were spec'd with maximum range in mind.

More specifically, the turn-in on the Model 3 is fantastic at low speeds. The only other car I've driven with a similar feel was a 911 Carrera S. You can definitely tell there's no heavy engine out beyond the front axle. However, at high speeds the front tires give up and there is some significant understeer on turn-in.

I also suspect that acceleration may be grip limited. I don't detect wheel spin when I floor it from a stop, but I'm thinking the motors are able to adjust their output before I notice the back tires losing grip.

Anyway, I'm curious if anybody has swapped in summer compound tires on the 19" sport wheels.
  • What tires did you choose?
  • How have the tires impacted range? Road noise? Comfort?
  • Have the tires improved the dynamics of the car?
  • Have the tires improved acceleration?
  • Anything else?
Pretty well all cars are designed to understeer at the limit as it’s safer than over steering at the limit. The Conti ProContacts on the car are the same tires that came on our ‘14 Ford Escape. The 3 has 235/40/19 and the Escape 234/45/19. The ones on the 3 are also rated as extra load. Bottom line is they are very good all season tires. When I replace them I will put on a Max or Ultra performance summer tire. (Summer warm weather use only). There are lots out there in the stock size. Try TireRack and search your size for reviews. You will get much better handling performance but the trade off will be less range. Important to note that any replacement should be 96 and XL load rated.

Last edited:

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The low center of gravity can also be deceiving, since there's almost no body roll, yet it's about 700 lbs heavier than that Carrera S.