stupid cr@p you've been told by dealers selling EV

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
being EV people we've maybe heard it all. You can expect that from the guy on the street spouting stuff, but what about the crap the dealers just say for the sake of saying?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
being EV people we've maybe heard it all. You can expect that from the guy on the street spouting stuff, but what about the crap the dealers just say for the sake of saying?
most are probably said out of ignorance more than willingly trying to be deceptive.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'll start - (no, I won't start, @MelindaV has the fastest keyboard in the west)

Mitsubishi dealer yesterday (while looking at an outlander PHEV) I heard a couple of gems (paraphrased):

1) Mitsubishi doesn't have charging pads on the car because QI charging is disappearing in a couple of years and then the resale on our used cars would be affected.

2) we don't have spare tires because it's better to have Mitsubishi road service change your tires what with all the electricity in the car. when I asked about changing your own summer/winter tires in spring/fall he followed up with "I would never do that, too dangerous"

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
the moral to this story is to avoid buying used teslas from traditional dealers, only buy them from private owners or from tesla. the majority of "regular" dealers are clueless about the car and only see $$$.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
yeah, we drove in the V70 because that was the trade-in we would be offerening. they offered $200 for it. said it had a "check engine indicator" - what it had was a "light burnt out indicator" - but they couldn't tell the difference. hah. I'm tempted to follow @JasonF and do a follow up visit in the Tesla...

MarkB

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When I was turning in my VW NoX spew-mobile, I went to a GM dealer and asked about a Bolt. Sales dude tried desperately to talk me out of it and get a Volt instead due to range, etc.

Real reason I suspect was because he could get me a Volt immediately, and the wait for the Bolt was months. He wasn't so much looking out for MY best interests, but his "sale".

ssc8666

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When I was turning in my VW NoX spew-mobile, I went to a GM dealer and asked about a Bolt. Sales dude tried desperately to talk me out of it and get a Volt instead due to range, etc.

Real reason I suspect was because he could get me a Volt immediately, and the wait for the Bolt was months. He wasn't so much looking out for MY best interests, but his "sale".
If I'm not mistakened, Chevy Volt has been discontinued by GM. He's trying to clear inventory.

orekart

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Nissan Leaf salesman told me there's nothing under the (front) hood it is welded shut. I ask that sounds unusual then how do you add wiper fluid, and he replies it comes with wiper fluid from the factory.

I'm not an expert on the Nissan Leaf and I was ready to buy one at the time. I genuinely was leading with easy and sensible operational questions to let a salesperson show off their knowledge of the vehicle to try to impress me to buy the thing. I had casually asked a few other salespeople in the area who might be the most knowledgeable about the Leaf and they all said the same guy, whom I was on the test ride with.

If you don't know, "I don't know let's have a look through the owner's manual here let me help you find that information" is a totally acceptable answer. :confused:

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm a serial test driver and some of the crap I have heard sales people say is astounding. That comment above about the hood is just.....well, come on.

Maybe it's just my mentality, or maybe the general public is just that dumb, but wouldn't you want to be an expert about what you're selling? I recognize not everyone wants to know everything about the car they are buying. You don't want to be that sales guy who just vomits out statistics that no one cares about. But at least be prepared to answer 90% of the questions about the vehicle you're selling. And it's far better to admit you don't know and find out, I've found. People can smell the BS a mile away.

Even at a volume dealership with a dozen models, it's not that hard to know most everything about each one. The stuff is available online and there are countless dealer training documents for these things. Sheesh.

Perscitus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sadly many sales persons (and firms and people who employ them) do not want to know too much about what they are selling... or ment to be selling.

Ironically, this applies to both business who clearly benefit from this type of practice and those where it should be hurtful.

Easier to sell half-baked, beta or alpha build quality or simply flawed products as the bee's knees (or at least buy into marketing generalizations and bs) when you don't know any better. Let alone independent thinking where the sales person might suggest competitions product is better (and actually is).

Best to just always do your own research (even if its a huge timesink for something we are completely unfamiliar with or uninterested in), walk in or click and buy, done.

Whole-hearted 'no thanks' to all things sales and marketing.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was looking at a Bolt before we ordered the Model 3 and the sales guy (only one in the building that knew anything about the Bolt) assured me that Tesla was going out of business before end of Q3 of 2018 so I should buy the Bolt.

He was very wrong. Also the Bolt sucked, but he told me the "Corvette team" designed the Bolt's "amazing" suspension.

The Bolt was designed from 2012 by a team of 180 people in GM's Korea[12] studio (formerly Daewoo Korea), as B-segment size[33] on its own platform, and does not share elements with the GM Gamma platform cars Chevrolet Sonic/Spark/Opel Corsa.[34][35]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Bolt#cite_note-gcr2016-09-16-35

Yeah I don't think so Tim

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was looking at a Bolt before we ordered the Model 3 and the sales guy (only one in the building that knew anything about the Bolt) assured me that Tesla was going out of business before end of Q3 of 2018 so I should buy the Bolt.

He was very wrong. Also the Bolt sucked, but he told me the "Corvette team" designed the Bolt's "amazing" suspension.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Bolt#cite_note-gcr2016-09-16-35

Yeah I don't think so Tim
you know, a lot of people confuse the Spark for the Corvette