String of issues on 7 months old Model X

Fgagnepain

Country
Country
Hi All,

I have had my Model X for 7 months, and I've had a string of issues with it, and the latest problems are not fixed yet.
I was thinking of contacting the Tesla customer service with the list of issues I've had, but before that I'd like to share my experience and ask owners on this forum what are their thoughts.

Below is the list of problems I had, sorted by order of severity.

- Complete loss of sound. That means not only the audio app/phone streaming, but navigation instructions and even the blinkers sound is gone. This is usually fixed by rebooting the MCU with the 2 buttons on the steering wheel

- Both key fob failed in a 2 weeks span, one after the other. There was no notification of low battery in both cases. When I called Tesla, they also acknowledged their system showed no such thing. I had mobile service come twice to fix each fob.

- Above issues are annoying, but it is nothing major. Now we get to the potentially dangerous stuff.
Black screen all of a sudden while driving on the highway in heavy traffic. No more sound, no more camera, nothing. I wondered (I actually still wonder now) if my blinkers were even working when I used the stalk, as I had no feedback whatsoever to tell me if they were active or not.
Thankfully, this happened only twice, relatively early after taking delivery of the car. The screen and sound came back online maybe 5 minutes later. During these 5 minutes I thought I would pee my pants though.

- The horn never worked from day 1. Both sides of the steering wheel are not working. I really only use the horn when there is immediate danger, and it took me 6 months before realizing it didn't work. Another visit of Tesla mobile service, and they couldn't fix it right away because ...

- The steering wheel airbag is not functional. The guy mentioned something about the airbag harness that has an issue, and the whole steering wheel/airbag needs to be replaced. At that stage, my wife went ballistic when she learned I drove a car without airbag for over 6 months. Right now, her level of confidence in this car has dropped more than the Tesla stock in recent weeks, which is saying something.

- And finally, the latest weird thing that happened in the last couple weeks. My shift gear stalk just stops working randomly. The scenario is always the same though.
I push the stalk up to go rear and park. I press the stalk down to go forward again. Nothing happens. The gear is stuck in rear. Trying to press the button on the stalk to park doesn't work either. Only way to move the car forward again is to reboot the MCU.
That happened once if front of my garage while I was alone, and again a few days ago when I was driving with the whole family. After the airbag stunt, this one really broke the camel's back with my wife. She'd rather I don't drive that car until it gets a full checkup.

So, I'm asking everyone with a Model X on this forum, does that sound familiar?
Tesla has already fixed most of the issues I had, but since I seem to find one after another, I was wondering if I should just ask them to take it in and do a full checkup.
I will contact them and update here accordingly

Last edited:

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Welcome to the forum, Fred! And sorry to hear you've been experiencing so many issues with your Model X.

- Complete loss of sound. That means not only the audio app/phone streaming, but navigation instructions and even the blinkers sound is gone. This is usually fixed by rebooting the MCU with the 2 buttons on the steering wheel

I suspect this particular issue is firmware-related and not specific to the Model X. Several audio-related firmware issues that have been reported here (example).

- Both key fob failed in a 2 weeks span, one after the other. There was no notification of low battery in both cases. When I called Tesla, they also acknowledged their system showed no such thing. I had mobile service come twice to fix each fob.

Just to clarify, are you saying that both key fobs that came with the vehicle failed? Or did one fob fail, and then the replacement fob subsequently failed? If both fobs that failed were original, it could have been that they were both pulled from an inventory lot whose batteries were mostly discharged. If a replacement fob failed, however, I would definitely raise that issue with Tesla service.

Black screen all of a sudden while driving on the highway in heavy traffic. No more sound, no more camera, nothing. I wondered (I actually still wonder now) if my blinkers were even working when I used the stalk, as I had no feedback whatsoever to tell me if they were active or not.
Thankfully, this happened only twice, relatively early after taking delivery of the car. The screen and sound came back online maybe 5 minutes later. During these 5 minutes I thought I would pee my pants though.

This could be another firmware-related issue that isn't specific to the Model X. Although it has never occurred to me personally, my impression from reading the forums here is that this has been happening more frequently with recent firmware versions. If you see this issue continue to happen, definitely bring it up with Tesla Service.

- The horn never worked from day 1. Both sides of the steering wheel are not working. I really only use the horn when there is immediate danger, and it took me 6 months before realizing it didn't work. Another visit of Tesla mobile service, and they couldn't fix it right away because ...
- The steering wheel airbag is not functional. The guy mentioned something about the airbag harness that has an issue, and the whole steering wheel/airbag needs to be replaced. At that stage, my wife went ballistic when she learned I drove a car without airbag for over 6 months. Right now, her level of confidence in this car has dropped more than the Tesla stock in recent weeks, which is saying something.
- And finally, the latest weird thing that happened in the last couple weeks. My shift gear stalk just stops working randomly. The scenario is always the same though.
I push the stalk up to go rear and park. I press the stalk down to go forward again. Nothing happens. The gear is stuck in rear. Trying to press the button on the stalk to park doesn't work either. Only way to move the car forward again is to reboot the MCU.
That happened once if front of my garage while I was alone, and again a few days ago when I was driving with the whole family. After the airbag stunt, this one really broke the camel's back with my wife. She'd rather I don't drive that car until it gets a full checkup.

These three issues could all be related to a hardware problem with your steering column. Bring all three issues to Tesla's attention ASAP, and they will probably want to replace the whole steering column.

What do you think I should do ?
Contact Tesla with the full list of issues I had and ask for a full verification of the car ?
If they agree to that, do you think I can get a loaner car during that period ?

From what you've described above, I'd say you're overdue for a service appointment. :) Contact your Service Center directly to book a time, or use the online "Schedule Service" feature within your Tesla Account or within the Tesla App. Mention all of the issues you've experienced to date, starting with the most severe (i.e. the issues related to the steering column).

After submitting your request, it's possible that Tesla will decide to send a Mobile Ranger to take a look at your car and see if they can't repair it while it's parked at home or at work, rather than requiring you to take it into the Service Center. If they do have to bring it in, and you want to give yourself betters odds of getting a Tesla loaner, try to schedule your service for earlier in the day, as Tesla loaners are the first to be given out.

Best of luck getting these issues resolved!

Reactions: 1 person

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
@Fgagnepain, wow, sorry to hear of your problems. The only of your issues that I’ve had on our Model X is the blinker not making a noise. I had that one quite a few times and yes, it is rather disorienting. For me it came with a cluster of issues that included high beams not working, and all autopilot features not there. Oh, and outside temp and odometer went wonky. While Tesla could send some code to the car which temporarily helped (we did this about half a dozen times) the problems didn’t fully resolve until they replaced a receiver for the LTE signal, I believe.

Those problems occurred for us in the first 6 months of the model X, and yes, we had a bit of a loss in confidence in the car. But it’s been trouble free since then. Until a week ago when the driver’s door handle doesn’t work nor does it respond to the fob. Service appointment in 2 days. Love the car, but really sometimes wonder what else is going to pop up (and at what inopportune time.)

I would advise to push Tesla until you are satisfied. I like the idea of them doing a more thorough check of it, but will be surprised if they jump on that. We even paid for the vague 1 year service because of the problems we had had and we thought they might look it over and find more, but I don’t know of anything they actually checked out. We have found them more likely to be responsive to specific problems.

If you have a total loss of confidence in the model X, I have to say our model 3 has been near perfection.....

Fgagnepain

Country
Country
Hi There,

Sorry I realize I made this look much worse than it really is.
Truth is, Tesla is on all of my issues, fixed most of it, and I have an appointment this morning at the service centre to get the remaining issues looked at. I'm confident everything will be fixed today :).
Someone from the service centre looked at my list of issues and confirmed they are working on a new firmware for the black screen.
The sound issue, horn, and gear stalk should all be fixed by an hardware upgrade in the steering wheel. They have the parts so they'll do it today.

I'm definitely not losing confidence in my Model X, it's definitely the best car I ever had.
It's just the little snags here and there made wifey a bit annoyed, that's really it :).

Long live Tesla!!

Reactions: 4 people

PA-pilot

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We have a Nov 2018 build Model X that we purchased as an inventory vehicle at the end of March 2019 and have also had a string of issues. Like you most are not major, but having a string of issues is annoying. Tesla has fixed or in the process of repairing all issues. Just curious what was the build date of your X? And like you this is the wife's car

Below is a quick list of issues. Again none are major but all were an inconvenience and required either me going to the SC or being available for Mobile Service.

1) Autopilot wire harness and Camera failure. replaced at service center (1 week at service center, received Model S loaner)
2) Windshield wiper needing adjustment (travelled beyond windshield and a pillar (Mobile Repair)
3) Steering Wheel leather separating from Steering wheel (Mobile Repair)
4) Driver side window would not fully raise (pressure sensory triggered 3/4 the way up and lower window) (mobile Repair)
5) Driver side window issue repeats after 3 weeks (Service Center adjustment)
6) 12V Battery needs servicing (service appointment next week - mobile service)

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’ve had my share of issues with mine but Tesla has always looked after them without hesitation. Yeah, it’s annoying but compared to my Lincoln I had before this car is almost perfect!

PA-pilot

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’ve had my share of issues with mine but Tesla has always looked after them without hesitation. Yeah, it’s annoying but compared to my Lincoln I had before this car is almost perfect!

Trevor,

I mostly agree. I can’t see myself getting anything but Tesla or comparable electric going forward. Tesla has address every issue so far but I also believe they shouldn’t get a free pass that issues exist as time tending to issues is a value (loss) issue as well. As of this writing we can add MCU yellowing and a faulty falcon wing door sensor.

Mike

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
As of this writing we can add MCU yellowing
My X developed the yellow band this summer. It’s not so noticeable in satellite mode where I usually keep it, but is awful in regular map mode with a white background. While at the service center recently, I asked about it and was told that they aren’t replacing parts any more for this, but that Tesla has a machine they are using that reconditions the screen and greatly reduces the yellow. My SC does not yet have this magic device.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My X developed the yellow band this summer. It’s not so noticeable in satellite mode where I usually keep it, but is awful in regular map mode with a white background. While at the service center recently, I asked about it and was told that they aren’t replacing parts any more for this, but that Tesla has a machine they are using that reconditions the screen and greatly reduces the yellow. My SC does not yet have this magic device.

I had my screen changed but they have since issued fix for it now that involves exposing it to UV rays which eliminates the yellowing. Call them to have it done

PA-pilot

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Have "heard" that SC won't replace MCUs as the issue will just emerge with new screen as well until there is a fix at the supplier level. The UV treatment is supposed to address the yellow curing issue. Wondering if I should make an appointment to get myself in the queue.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi All,

I have had my Model X for 7 months, and I've had a string of issues with it, and the latest problems are not fixed yet.
I was thinking of contacting the Tesla customer service with the list of issues I've had, but before that I'd like to share my experience and ask owners on this forum what are their thoughts.

Below is the list of problems I had, sorted by order of severity.

- Above issues are annoying, but it is nothing major. Now we get to the potentially dangerous stuff.

So, I'm asking everyone with a Model X on this forum, does that sound familiar?
Tesla has already fixed most of the issues I had, but since I seem to find one after another, I was wondering if I should just ask them to take it in and do a full checkup.
I will contact them and update here accordingly

What I find really interesting is almost all your issues are commonly mentioned on Model 3 as well !!

Except for your new "Yellowing MCU" and the Airbag issue.

PA-pilot

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
About a month or so ago, I was able to get the X in for the UV treatment of the MCU screen and it seemed to resolve the issue, the yellowing is completely gone.