Strike 2... You're OUT... Sentry Mode wins!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• Please post your personal videos into a single thread to keep things organized. Thanks

MNScott

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My thought is this...the guy turned the dial to about 8 out of 10 when he wrote on your vehicle (11/10 would be keying your car). He is known to have done it once, suspected of doing it twice.

If he is this irrational in his thinking (writing on your car), what odds do you give it that he'll all of a sudden be rational with you when confronted? If he'll write on your car, I think it is a safe bet that the conversation between you and him would not go well. In fact, I can pretty easily imagine scenarios where it could turn pretty ugly (yelling/screaming, violence, fictional story created by him about how you threatened him, etc.)

Skip all that crap. Get the police involved, protect your own interests here. Your own interests include your vehicle, your residence, your freedom from false prosecution, and your health.

You don't know this guy, he is not your friend, you have no idea how he'll react if confronted. You do not "owe" him any conversation. Might seem harsh - but there are some unstable people in this world...as evidenced in the news. Every. Day.

Good luck -

Scott

MacInfoSys

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll agree with the no parking. As I'm looking at the Tesla, it doesn't seem to be plugged in.
The car is plugged in. The question is was it finished charging and it was left there overnight to park and happening every single night. As the sign states clearly, it's for charging and not for parking. This does NOT make what the person is doing to the car valid and the actions are clearly vandalism. If Smitty is actively using the spot to just park overnight and charging has completed many hours ago then it makes sense to move the car once that operation is complete as a curtesy to others that could use the spot to also charge. (This is assuming that's what is taking place which I recall Smitty stating this was his actions in the past.)

The person committing the crime should also be punished for his actions. (Both parties would be at fault unfortunately).

I just wish this could have been handled in a more civil matter before it ever got to this stage. Maybe a note on the windshield stating the problem at hand instead of writing on a car and Smitty not using the spot as a parking space after the charge was completed. :-(

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just wish this could have been handled in a more civil matter before it ever got to this stage. Maybe a note on the windshield stating the problem at hand instead of writing on a car and Smitty not using the spot as a parking space after the charge was completed. :-(
This. Very important because it shows his intent was to intimidate and scare you, not to start a conversation about where you're parking. It shows that he wants you out of "his" garage, and out of "his" apartment building. It also is a scary sign that he's possibly willing to resort to violence to meet that goal. If that's true, then simply telling him "I know who you are" or complaining to building management will only cause him to confront you, possibly violently.

Talking to police instead, it's more likely he'll have the wind taken out of his inflated sails. He might still confront you and yell at you that you're a coward for calling the cops, but with a warning of being arrested hanging over him, he'll leave the car, and you, safe.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Plugged in or not, nobody has the right to vandalize someones property. You have an adult conversation, not resorting to childish tactics that cause monetary costs. This guy is obviously a hot head with zero rational thinking, I'd get law enforcement involved so that they have a record of the incident. If he can be identified all the better, litigation is in order.

MNScott

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Put together the vandalism and the intimidation/harassment and you may have a solid case for the apartment manager to remove this guy from the premises.

Read @SMITTY previous post, the first time this happened. Leaving the car plugged in after charging, if posted, is a violation of the rules as well. No idea if that was the case in this instance or not. Even if it was done charging, that is not a "crime"...vandalizing someone's property is.

Scott

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I remember many years back a support fellow took exception to the call I had made and the feedback I had given him after the ticket closed. He took to calling me on my cell with death threats. I took it to the local police who used the number I gave him (doh- darn caller-id) to have a chat with the fellow. Now this was my local police in Canada calling someone in the far southeastern states - well out of jurisdiction.

As the police officer said to me later, he never admitted to making the calls or knowing anything about them, but was able to promise me that they would never happen again, and the funny thing is, the calls stopped after that.

Sometimes a chat from the local constabulary can remove the doofus coefficient from someones attitude and have problems just disappear.

MNScott

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Plugged in or not, nobody has the right to vandalize someones property. You have an adult conversation, not resorting to childish tactics that cause monetary costs. This guy is obviously a hot head with zero rational thinking, I'd get law enforcement involved so that they have a record of the incident. If he can be identified all the better, litigation is in order.
More than likely, the guy is the run of the mill passive-aggressive type that will smile at you in the hallway...then vandalize your car. It is likely he would pee himself if confronted. However, it's also possible that he would react violently if confronted...or concoct some story about the confrontation so as to implicate the person doing the confronting of wrongdoing...thus muddying the waters.

I agree with @Jay79 and others - get the police involved from the get-go.

Scott

MacInfoSys

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Put together the vandalism and the intimidation/harassment and you may have a solid case for the apartment manager to remove this guy from the premises.

Read @SMITTY previous post, the first time this happened. Leaving the car plugged in after charging, if posted, is a violation of the rules as well. No idea if that was the case in this instance or not. Even if it was done charging, that is not a "crime"...vandalizing someone's property is.

Scott

I agree 100%. Smitty's actions (if it is still taking place) is not a crime, BUT it still does not make it right to continue to do them either. The other person SHOULD BE punished for his actions and Smitty SHOULD also have the curtesy to not use that space for his overnight parking.

MNScott

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree 100%. Smitty's actions (if it is still taking place) is not a crime, BUT it still does not make it right to continue to do them either. The other person SHOULD BE punished for his actions and Smitty SHOULD also have the curtesy to not use that space for his overnight parking.
We are in agreement.

Scott

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla is def plugged in, you can see in the vid but its tough to tell because the vid is dark.
I am NOT sanctioning his actions. They are completely and totally inexcusable.

As others have asked, however, @SMITTY I'm wondering if you're willing to address the question about you parking the vehicle there overnight? Or well beyond the completed charge time?

Again, I'm not excusing his behavior. He ABSOLUTELY should have handled things another way. But I'm wondering if his anger is completely unprovoked and without cause.

SMITTY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for all the feedback everyone...

The apartment management knows of the first time and i told them about this 2nd offense yesterday but i haven't provided them the video yet. I don't plan on getting the police involved as i don't think its anything serious and I'm just not that type of person. Now if he had keyed or done something more drastic where money would have to come out of my pocket for repairs, then that's a different story.

As far as confronting the guy, I'm not going to go out of my way to find him but if we cross paths im definitely going to say something smart-assy to him just so HE knows I know its him. Im a happy, smart ass, sarcastic type of guy so me actively looking for confrontation was left in my younger years.

As for the "un-written rules of charging" go, as mentioned before i rarely use those charging spots being that i work from home and never really need to charge nightly like i used to when i had my Volt. That being said, per the management they are first come first serve and there's no time limit. This specific instance; I came home a little after midnight from a wedding rehearsal @ 43miles left of charge... This ChargePoint charges @ 23miles/hr MAX so we are looking at like 7 - 8hrs to charge me up to my 80%, Im certainly not going to wake up in the middle of the night to move my car at 4am or whatever the "un-written rule" may suggest.

Regardless, like i mentioned above the fact that this guy (who ive never seen before) feels the need to do this even-though "his" car is also currently charging is funny to me. I have footage of him and the lady (who ive seen tons of times) who actually owns that car pulling into that spot and plugging in to charge at some point during the night / morning. I have a feeling SHE doesn't know he's doing that hence why he didn't do it in her presence.

Ahhh well... People are funny.

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for clarifying @SMITTY. There is obviously a difference between etiquette and rules, but the situation you mentioned above doesn't seem to go against either (unless you left it there charging till like 2 in the afternoon or something). Even then, if there are more than enough charging spaces to go around I wouldn't even see that as an etiquette issue.

I guess in short:
  • If there are posted time limits, obey them
  • If there are limited spaces, be courteous
  • Otherwise, just be happy fellow EV brethren
Sounds like you're doing all the above.

Sorry you had to go through this man. I think it's overly kind of you not to go after him for the damage done to your paint job. Even if it's just getting him to pay for an orbital wax to get rid of the scuff marks. Your a nicer guy than I am.

Enjoy your smart-ass shaming. And hey, that might be another fun YouTube opportunity. Just sayin'. ;)

SMITTY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for clarifying @SMITTY. There is obviously a difference between etiquette and rules, but the situation you mentioned above doesn't seem to go against either (unless you left it there charging till like 2 in the afternoon or something). Even then, if there are more than enough charging spaces to go around I wouldn't even see that as an etiquette issue.

I guess in short:
  • If there are posted time limits, obey them
  • If there are limited spaces, be courteous
  • Otherwise, just be nice to your fellow EV bretherin
Sorry you had to go through this man. I think it's overly kind of you not to go after him for the damage done to your paint job. Even if it's just getting him to pay for an orbital wax to get rid of the scuff marks. Your a nicer guy than I am.

Enjoy your smart-ass shaming. And hey, that might be another fun YouTube opportunity. Just sayin'. ;)
Yeah man, I'm not a d*ck about those parking spots, i don't even LIKE parking there because its in the next building over and my assigned spot is right underneath my apartment... Ive only parked there overnight when I NEED a charge and if I get there too late to wake up just to move my car. There are maaaaybe 3-4 EVs in this complex and there is 90% of the time at least one spot open

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Alright... it was me. I admit it. I was really trying to get you to purchase my version of sentry mode.

Man... I look awful in that video. What's the saying, the camera adds 25 pounds, 30 years, glasses, a yellow marker and grows bald headed people's hair back? Yeah... I look bad.

EDIT to add: Sorry @SMITTY, from now on I'll use dry erase markers only when I vandalize your property. Also, sorry about the side of your fridge that you think is hidden by a wall.

I have skills.

Last edited:

MNScott

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Who walks around with a highlighter/marker in their jacket pocket? Pretty obvious this guy was looking for an opportunity to write on the OP's car...and maybe others.

So - you talked to the apartment manager...shouldn't be too tough to figure out who it is via plates on the car or just by face from the video. What are they going to do about it - now that you've reported the same problem? Twice.