Strange Window Behavior - Driver side controls

ymilord

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Strangely enough, after 933 miles, neither my wife or I have opened/used any of the windows in the car until today. From the driver side controls- if you attempt to open the front passenger side window from the front driver side controls- the passenger window and the rear left side passenger window will both 'move' (I say move as they both attempt to go down at different rates.) From the same controls, if you attempt to bring them up, The front passenger window will go up and the rear left side will go down. On the third attempt, neither will do anything. The localized buttons control its designated window normally.

I contacted support from the car and the support personal said, 'Um- Okay, Er Uh. Wait- Explain that again please?' Which I did. He had me reboot the displays MCU. No Dice and arranged for mobile tech. visit.

Judging from his reaction, I am going to assume this is a new issue. He did say he could see the CAN Bus traffic and see the commanded movement of the window, but it does not tell him the position. Just the state. (Let that sink in for a sec.)

At any rate, the mobile personal should call me in the next 1~3 days and they can fix it.

Has anyone heard/have had this issue? Or is this new?

For efficiency sake.

We have had the car for about 3 weeks. As stated above 933 miles on it. It has 2018.28.1. The VIN is in the 0308XX block.

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Several reports of windows doing weird things. I know there is an adjustment as well. Earlier cars reported the windows wouldn't go all the way down, just part way and stop. You push the button to put the window down and hold it for another 10 seconds or so, it will reset the down stop position. Might give something like that a try.

That button isn't a direct switch to the motor. It just sends a signal to the computer which sends a command to the motor to react.

A few reports of people having a door would pop open on it's own as well. Traced back to a bad switch I believe and another was a perhaps a loose harness as they unplugged and replugged the connection between the door and the computer. So lots of weirdness can happen. Odd that one button is controlling more than one window though.

ymilord

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Status Update:

The local service center called today and said they need to order a couple parts and will get back to us. When I asked what parts (politely), She said the door assembly and the button assembly. And said it might be a couple days to a week.

Dang. (This is directed to the part list. I figured it would have been a software check/debug and replacement buttons.)
The time frame is fine as the car still drives fine.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the exact same issue with mine. Emailed the service center and they sent a mobile ranger out. He tested the system by connecting his laptop to the car and verified that it was a switch problem and not a computer board problem. He ordered a replacement door panel (it is an integrated unit, does Tesla make these or contract? From whom and where?) Anyway, it took about a week for the part to arrive and the ranger will come to install it next week.

ymilord

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting.

When I contacted support. They just told me that the local service center would contact us.

I had to follow up call in order for that to happen. At this point, we are still waiting for the service center to get back to us to schedule an appointment to get it fixed. We have a road trip planned mid-week. Was hoping to get this fixed by now. Thou this does not impact the functionality of the car- I just don't want them to call and say, 'We're ready!' and we're hundreds of miles away from home.

ymilord

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Status Update.

Yesterday afternoon we got an email asking how the service repair went. Well. No one has contacted us about setting up an appointment. I called support and they said the parts have been available for about a week and it was strange that the ranger team did not get a hold of us. So a couple hours later my wife got an email saying they have trying to get a hold of us. And asked to verify the contact details. The phone number they had was completely wrong. I call them (service center) back. Attempted to change the number they had, but they had the correct number. This morning we got another 'follow-up' email with a different wrong number. So this time I responded back to the email directly. Then the person responded back saying they have been trying to get hold of us for a week and asked if this was our contact number. Once again a different wrong number.

I called the service center again and they confirmed that the number they had was correct. I asked if I could call the person directly (the ranger) and they said they would do it on my behalf. About 20 mins later we got the same 'we need to contact' email with a different wrong number.

And what I mean by different wrong number is each email had a completely different incorrect phone number from various states and prefixes that were near our correct number.

I called support back again told them everything that has happened and they placed me on hold for about 15 mins and then told me to expect a call (they repeated the phone and the full VIN of the car) shortly. about 10 mins ago I got a confirm your contact details email with the wrong number.

So yeah.

I guess I am going to have to take the 1hr haul to the service center with the car today cause I don't know what else to do at this point.

ymilord

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Status update.

The service center insisted that the mobile team do the repair so I ended up not going to the local center.

The mobile tech./ranger (Of the 7 people I spoke to it was a mix of Rangers and Mobile Tech.) finally made it out to the house yesterday at about 7 PM. He replaced the window switch and the issue continued. He then did something that caused all the lights to flash in patterns. Then went to his van and the car flashed a couple of times and beeped. Then he sat in his van for 10 mins or so, then car flashed once. (I was inside my shop when this all went down.)

I went outside and saw a completely different UI on the screen. I was not able to get a closer look. As much I wanted to jump in there and ask a bunch of questions, I didn't want to bother this guy. He then went back into the car and about 2 mins later. 3~4 mins later I got a push notification on my phone that an update was available (32.5). He messed around with the windows for another 20 mins and started to pack up. At this point, I was already back inside my shop.

He knocked on the door and told me that he is not sure why this issue is happening and that it may be the right side body controller. And that I will need to take the car to the service center as this repair is more evasive and can not be done by the mobile team. He also commented that he is not sure how this car made it past delivery prep. I ask if he could elaborate on that and he basically said there is a checklist. Testing windows are one of them.

He also mentioned that the car has not 'slept' since the 20th of aug. He pulled the logs and was going to have engineering look at it.

So now more parts need to be ordered and I have to wait to get a call to schedule an appointment to drop the car off.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Status update.

The service center insisted that the mobile team do the repair so I ended up not going to the local center.

The mobile tech./ranger (Of the 7 people I spoke to it was a mix of Rangers and Mobile Tech.) finally made it out to the house yesterday at about 7 PM. He replaced the window switch and the issue continued. He then did something that caused all the lights to flash in patterns. Then went to his van and the car flashed a couple of times and beeped. Then he sat in his van for 10 mins or so, then car flashed once. (I was inside my shop when this all went down.)

I went outside and saw a completely different UI on the screen. I was not able to get a closer look. As much I wanted to jump in there and ask a bunch of questions, I didn't want to bother this guy. He then went back into the car and about 2 mins later. 3~4 mins later I got a push notification on my phone that an update was available (32.5). He messed around with the windows for another 20 mins and started to pack up. At this point, I was already back inside my shop.

He knocked on the door and told me that he is not sure why this issue is happening and that it may be the right side body controller. And that I will need to take the car to the service center as this repair is more evasive and can not be done by the mobile team. He also commented that he is not sure how this car made it past delivery prep. I ask if he could elaborate on that and he basically said there is a checklist. Testing windows are one of them.

He also mentioned that the car has not 'slept' since the 20th of aug. He pulled the logs and was going to have engineering look at it.

So now more parts need to be ordered and I have to wait to get a call to schedule an appointment to drop the car off.
Yikes! I am having the Mobile tech over next Tuesday, he stated that he has the part needed. He hooked up his laptop to the car and seemed satisfied that the on-board systems were ok...I hope it stays that way. Will post results after.

ymilord

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last Tuesday I got another email asking how the repair went. Thou technically a mobile tech did arrive at the house, but he was unable to do the repair. I called later that day and was told that the local center would call. I Finally got that call today about scheduling an appointment to get the window controls fixed. But the next 'window' (See what I did there...) for repair is next Friday. But it may take longer as the service centers do not operate over the weekend. (This may be old news- But I did not know that.) and depending if they have the parts available. So it seems like they are going to wait to receive the vehicle, inspect it- then order parts. The mobile tech and the first person I spoke to seem to both agree its the right side body controller. It is what it is I guess.

Everything so far to date has been for a window repair. I hope its not like this for other issues that may (hopefully not) arise.

Everyone I spoke too has been extremely nice and polite. But everything so far has taken a long time to happen. Especially follow up calls.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seemed to take Tesla a long time to get it together, but last Tuesday the mobile service tech cane with the parts and replaced the switches and controller. All done in about an hour in my driveway. Everything works good now. Presently on a road trip to NH. Nice change of pace for me to see 5 Teslas charging up, including another Model 3. Not something you see in Michigan.

ymilord

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Finally took the car in for service yesterday. One of the service techs came out in excitement and amazement to try out the windows. He said he saw the ticket yesterday morning and was confused on how that can even happen. He tried it out and it did exactly as it did before. You use the driver side controls for the passager side window and it moves and the rear passager side also moves. When you try to bring it back up, they move it two different directions. He did that for a solid 15 mins. I told him what the mobile tech said about the right side body controller and he said it was unlikely- but they'll get it fixed.

I mentioned the hood alignment, the under the clear coat blemishes on the rear passager side body panel. He looked at the VIN and said, 'Ah- Yeah... We'll get that fixed too. (Interesting) Is it okay if we wash it and charge it before pickup?' And that was it.

The loaner they gave us a 2018 Model S 75D (417 miles, dang) and warned us that it may be a couple days to get the issues fixed. So we may have the loaner for a while. And If we needed to supercharge it, that's free of charge.

The whole experience of getting Tesla to understand the issue was kind of a nightmare, but actual interaction with them has been overly pleasant.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey I had a very similar issue. They had to replace the door control module. There is an internal short that causes the signals to get mixed up and things to act wonky. Not sure why your SC is dancing around the issue and not replacing that part. Mine was diagnosed and fixed within 4 days. Hope yours gets fixed soon. Mine had the added issue that the driver side door would open by itself(unlocking the car and waking it up) giving anyone around it free access...

ymilord

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Finally picked up the car yesterday. From the invoice, it shows they had to replace the left and right side controller. (As a side note, I got 4 push notifications that an update was available, but they may have been the SC doing software voodoo after the controllers there replaced. It had 36.2 at pickup.) All is good with the windows. The one other thing I mentioned to them while it was there was the frunk lid. It was raised above the bumper line on the right side that the entire hood was slanted left. On the invoice, the tech wrote, 'removed and adjusted hood as far as it would go'. When we went to the car both fog lights were filled with water (about 1/4 cup water each.) I showed that to that to the SC rep and told us to go inside and have a seat, they fix it in a jiffy. About 20 mins later all was good. I am guessing when they took the bumper off when they were adjusting the hood, possibly the seals around the lights moved/removed. *shrug*, At anyrate, it rained pretty good late night and they both looked good this morning.

Glad to get the car back. After driving an S and jumping into a 3, it's a huge difference. Thou the S had waaay more 'punch' then the 3. It felt like I was navigating a cruise around parking lots and such. Don't get me wrong its a very nice car. Just not for me.