Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Stock 19's *DO* fit Performance with Perf Package, But...

14K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  mswlogo 
#1 ·
There has been debate over this for a while, and Tesla even recently updated their web site stating the 19's won't fit Performance with the performance package. Not completely true.. I recently swapped my stock 19's for 20's from a member.. My 19's bolted right up..cleared performance hub and brakes, no problem.

My theory is Tesla made multiple versions of the 19's.. one with(recent builds) the cutout for the protruding hub, and one without(early builds). Since they likely share same part number, its difficult to know which version you will get. The safe thing for Tesla to do is simply claim they do not fit.

Attached are pictures of the performance hub with the extra protrusion(lip), and pictures of the back of BOTH the stock 19's and 20's. Notice both wheels have the exact same cutout. The 19's came off my Dual Motor, non-Perf, that was built in Sept.. 97K vin.

For you performance owners who want 19's, they will fit if the cut out if present. This is something you need to verify before you purchase wheels..

1st pic = performance hub with lip (~70mm x ~2.3mm)
2nd pic = 20"
3rd pic = 19"

Wheel Tire Locking hubs Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Automotive design Alloy wheel
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Synthetic rubber

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting. Thanks for the post!

If Tesla has started having that clearance machined into the 19" wheels, you'd think they'd simply only offer those newer wheels for sale on the website, and there would be no need to say that they won't fit on vehicles with the Performance Upgrade Option. So, I wonder why they still state that.

#3 · (Edited)
This is good news. Hopefully Elon is realizing the monetary loss to competitors who have stepped up and are machining the boreout for the 3 mm lip and are now doing the same.
I’d like to hope that Tesla will soon update their shop page to reflect the ability (by drop down menu) or to have a dedicated 19” Stilleto Sport P3D+ compatible set for sale. Unfortunately too late (sorry Elon) as I need to pull the trigger soon on a Winter Tire set of rims/tires.

Ski

#4 ·
If your stock 19's don't have the 2.3mm bore, It's really quite simple for a machine shop to do it.. It does not nessesarily need to be exact neither since the hub and the wheel still have the 64.1mm section to properly center the wheel.

Or, if you feel brave and know how to setup a router with template, you can easily shave off couple mm's.. this may be too adventurous for some, but totally doable if you have right tools..

#5 ·
In Boston and picked up my Model 3 Performance with PUP at the end of August. Finally received a response from the local Service Center. They will build a winter wheel package around the performance 20" wheels - see below. I am going to just make these my winter wheels by swapping tires onto existing wheels and get offset HRE wheels in the spring for my summers.

From the SC - I did some digging and found the appropriate snow tires. We would have to order these and then build it when the parts arrive, if you wanted the set.

Here is the quote (not including tax):

Email QuotationDate: 10/4/2018
Thank you for your recent inquiry with Tesla Service. Below you find a price quote for the requested services/parts.

Service/Labor

FRT Hours

FRT Price

Tires - Vehicle - Set

Subtotal Labor Price: (USD)

Parts:

Price

1320670-00-A - SRVC WNTR TIRE Pirelli Sottozero Serie II 235/35R20 92W XL

1234227-00-D - PERF WHEEL, 20X8.5J ET35, SPORT - SILVER

1038973-00-A - TPMS, NUT, SILVER

1034602-00-C - TPMS, WHEEL SENSOR, 433 MHz SILVER VALVE STEM WITH SILVER CAP

Subtotal Parts Price: (USD)

Subtotal Services and Parts: (USD)

Discount: (USD)

Shipping: (USD)

Estimated Tax: (USD)

Total Amount: (USD)

Note: This is a quote on list price, actual prices may vary at the time of service.

#10 ·
Agree that it's a minor difference but we wheel nerds can get a bit hung up on the details.
For some it's fender gap, in my case it's stance, I hate it when the front and rear wheels don't line up equally in the horizontal plane with the fender edges. I still shudder every time I see an early Saturn SL1 with its OE front wheels poking way out and rears MIA way under the fender edges. This is a pretty minor thing on the 3, but one that was easy to tweak on the PUO car with its (effectively) longer studs. As I said in the video (admitedly jacked up on a few too many coffees :)) the 3's body lines were clearly drawn to look optimal with a wider rear wheel and tire. And it looked like up until the last minute this was going to be offered in production (see 1st release of owner's manual that showed a staggered 19" setup). So if you want to stay "square" a little spacer in the rear helps bring it back to the look I think Franz originally envisioned.

Reactions: garsh
#11 ·
@Mad Hungarian , a decrease of 8lbs per wheel resulted in a 2.5% decrease in your 0-60..

For the reverse, would you say the *addition* of 8lbs per wheel will result in an equal and proportionate increase in 0-60 times? I'm thinking there are other factors, but roughly speaking..

I'm asking, cause you guessed it, I added some weight with my 20x10.5 with 285's.. ;)
I

#18 ·
We're working on the final details now.
Two solutions will be available for PUO cars, both of them pretty much Plug & Play:

1. We're going to make custom machined centering rings that incorporates the same 69.5 mm groove on the backside as the OE wheel to a and these will allow any of our standard 72.6 mm bore wheels to become "Bolt-on" with no other mods required.

2. We're going to have a few specific models in both Fast and Braelin that will be "Direct-Fit" hub-centric with the machined clearance area in the back just like the OE PUO wheels.

As soon as they are all cleared by Engineering we'll release a memo with the details to all our retailers and everyone will then be able to place orders!
@Mad Hungarian - any update on whether these plug and play options are available yet? Starting to get chilly out there.... :)

#19 ·
Yes, ready to go!
I was just waiting on our www.braelinalloy.ca results to synch with the newly created P3+ part numbers to announce it, but the short version is we now have both custom-machined 19" and 20" hub-centric wheels available in Braelin (dealers can call in and get availability live right now) and we have custom-machined stepped centering rings to fit a number of our Fast Wheels in 18", 19" and 20" and these results are already "live" on our consumer website:
www.fastwheels.com
Although the official memo to them will only go out tomorrow, you can in fact place orders with any of our dealers as of today.

#20 ·
Here's a little teaser of what our custom-machined Braelin BR11 looks like on Magneto from a photo shoot we did last week...

19x9.0 +35 with 245/40R19 front
19x11.0 +45 with 275/35R19 rear (yes, we went to eleven)

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Car
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

#36 ·
#22 ·
@Mad Hungarian With the 11.0's in the rear, how much clearance is left ?
Could you have gone wider, 11.5, 12.0??
Yes, 12.0" should be just be possible back there if you keep the offset in the mid to high 40's. 11.5" for sure.

#24 ·
Initially I would have said 9.5" was the practical limit in front but our friend Sasha at @MountainPass is running 10.0" all around and it appears to work just fine. This car does have a ton of room under the fenders though, more in fact than the Model S.

#26 · (Edited)
We're working on the final details now.
Two solutions will be available for PUO cars, both of them pretty much Plug & Play:

1. We're going to make custom machined centering rings that incorporates the same 69.5 mm groove on the backside as the OE wheel to a and these will allow any of our standard 72.6 mm bore wheels to become "Bolt-on" with no other mods required.

2. We're going to have a few specific models in both Fast and Braelin that will be "Direct-Fit" hub-centric with the machined clearance area in the back just like the OE PUO wheels.

As soon as they are all cleared by Engineering we'll release a memo with the details to all our retailers and everyone will then be able to place orders!
My FC04s (FC04A-1880-65TN+30C726) from Canadawheels.ca are arriving this week, probably Tuesday now. Canadawheels said that they would ensure the fitment, but I haven't heard any specifics. I'm concerned because there is no ring listed on my invoice and their website only has fitment information for non-performance model 3s.

1) If there are no rings included with the rim, will there be any more steps necessary for fitment besides getting a custom hubcentric ring from 72.6mm to 64.1mm with the chamfered edge ground off?

2) Do these wheels come with lug nuts? Do you have any tips for lug nuts besides matching the thread (14X1.50)?

3) This doesn't really concern you but for bonus it looked like there was a data input error on the fast wheels website. The 18x8 had a higher weight listed than 18x9 in the same offset. Very strange. I used the "contact us" form to report this.

Reference link to manufacturer website: https://www.fastwheels.ca/productin...ur+(traction+intégrale)+(étriers+rouges)_s_pp

Thanks!

#27 ·
In order:

1) Nope, that's exactly the way to do it, no other parts/mods required. Note you can also order our new "stepped" hubcentric ring that has the relief area machined into the backside of it and avoids you having to grind the flange off a regular set (as below). Our part number is 872702641C.

Grinding Automotive tire Bicycle part Finger Rim

2) The exact part number you ordered can re-use the OE lug nuts, or any other conventional 60 degreee conical 14x1.5mm lug nut.

3) Not an error. Owing to the extra concavity of the 18x9.0 design it actually winds up being lighter than the 18x8.0, which has to have a thicker center pad to achieve the same offset. The extra inch width of the flow-formed barrel on the 18x9.0" adds less mass than the thicker center pad of the +30 18x8.0.

#28 ·
@Mad Hungarian, thank you so much for the reply!

1) I'm following up with Canadawheels with the information on the ring. Having the specific part number is going to be very handy. Thank you for looking that up for your reply. I left a voicemail with the nice gentleman who was my point of contact. I just got the grinder and a polycarbonate hub ring suitable for grinding - I read aluminum will melt on the grinder - so I'm thinking that will be my first route due to international shipping wait times.

2) Thank you for confirming the stock lug nut fit! That was one thing I was worried about and wasn't able to confirm on my own. I later noticed the 60 degree spec listed on the website. This is my first aftermarket wheel buying experience, so I'm learning a lot along the way. Thanks for your detailed YouTube model 3 video.

3) Oh very interesting and good to know! Thanks for explaining!

Thanks again!

#30 ·
This is an old tread but the photos of the 20" wheels got my attention. This photo says 20x8.5 +35 offset for the 20" stilettos but every where else on the web I see +40 offset for these wheels. I am confused...
https://unpluggedperformance.com/tesla-wheel-and-tire-guide/
The offset is +35 for the 20" OEM sport wheels.
The offset is +40 for the 19" and 18" OEM wheels.

I see that T-Sportline has this wrong too.

I assume this is done because the rotor hats on the Performance cars are 5mm thinner than the standard rotor hats, so this gives all the cars the same track.

#31 ·
#32 ·
The offset is +35 for the 20" OEM sport wheels.
The offset is +40 for the 19" and 18" OEM wheels.

I see that T-Sportline has this wrong too.

I assume this is done because the rotor hats on the Performance cars are 5mm thinner than the standard rotor hats, so this gives all the cars the same track.
Actually there are two distinct versions of the 20" Sport wheels:

OE version for Performance Model 3 with PUO package: +35 offset with stepped 70.2/64.1 mm center bore

Accessory version for all other Model 3 variants: +40 offset with standard 64.1 mm center bore.

If you look closely at the listing of the Accessory version it has specific warning that it is NOT compatible with the P3D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.