Stock 19's *DO* fit Performance with Perf Package, But...

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There has been debate over this for a while, and Tesla even recently updated their web site stating the 19's won't fit Performance with the performance package. Not completely true.. I recently swapped my stock 19's for 20's from a member.. My 19's bolted right up..cleared performance hub and brakes, no problem.

My theory is Tesla made multiple versions of the 19's.. one with(recent builds) the cutout for the protruding hub, and one without(early builds). Since they likely share same part number, its difficult to know which version you will get. The safe thing for Tesla to do is simply claim they do not fit.

Attached are pictures of the performance hub with the extra protrusion(lip), and pictures of the back of BOTH the stock 19's and 20's. Notice both wheels have the exact same cutout. The 19's came off my Dual Motor, non-Perf, that was built in Sept.. 97K vin.

For you performance owners who want 19's, they will fit if the cut out if present. This is something you need to verify before you purchase wheels..

1st pic = performance hub with lip (~70mm x ~2.3mm)
2nd pic = 20"
3rd pic = 19"

20180930_225434-jpg.15461
20181001_140800-jpg.15462
20180928_151132-jpg.15463

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting. Thanks for the post!

If Tesla has started having that clearance machined into the 19" wheels, you'd think they'd simply only offer those newer wheels for sale on the website, and there would be no need to say that they won't fit on vehicles with the Performance Upgrade Option. So, I wonder why they still state that.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
This is good news. Hopefully Elon is realizing the monetary loss to competitors who have stepped up and are machining the boreout for the 3 mm lip and are now doing the same.
I’d like to hope that Tesla will soon update their shop page to reflect the ability (by drop down menu) or to have a dedicated 19” Stilleto Sport P3D+ compatible set for sale. Unfortunately too late (sorry Elon) as I need to pull the trigger soon on a Winter Tire set of rims/tires.

Ski

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If your stock 19's don't have the 2.3mm bore, It's really quite simple for a machine shop to do it.. It does not nessesarily need to be exact neither since the hub and the wheel still have the 64.1mm section to properly center the wheel.

Or, if you feel brave and know how to setup a router with template, you can easily shave off couple mm's.. this may be too adventurous for some, but totally doable if you have right tools..

Burke136

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In Boston and picked up my Model 3 Performance with PUP at the end of August. Finally received a response from the local Service Center. They will build a winter wheel package around the performance 20” wheels - see below. I am going to just make these my winter wheels by swapping tires onto existing wheels and get offset HRE wheels in the spring for my summers.

From the SC - I did some digging and found the appropriate snow tires. We would have to order these and then build it when the parts arrive, if you wanted the set.

Here is the quote (not including tax):

Email QuotationDate: 10/4/2018
Thank you for your recent inquiry with Tesla Service. Below you find a price quote for the requested services/parts.

Service/Labor

FRT Hours

FRT Price

Tires - Vehicle - Set

Subtotal Labor Price: (USD)

Parts:

Price

1320670-00-A - SRVC WNTR TIRE Pirelli Sottozero Serie II 235/35R20 92W XL

1234227-00-D - PERF WHEEL, 20X8.5J ET35, SPORT - SILVER

1038973-00-A - TPMS, NUT, SILVER

1034602-00-C - TPMS, WHEEL SENSOR, 433 MHz SILVER VALVE STEM WITH SILVER CAP

Subtotal Parts Price: (USD)

Subtotal Services and Parts: (USD)

Discount: (USD)

Shipping: (USD)

Estimated Tax: (USD)

Total Amount: (USD)

Note: This is a quote on list price, actual prices may vary at the time of service.

Oyster Bait

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A little OT but the @Mad Hungarian went a little too fast when he talked about using the spacer on the rear but not on the front. A 10mm greater rear track can't be significant enough to bother with, can it? Could someone explain this to me?

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A little OT but the @Mad Hungarian went a little too fast when he talked about using the spacer on the rear but not on the front. A 10mm greater rear track can't be significant enough to bother with, can it? Could someone explain this to me?
Agree that it's a minor difference but we wheel nerds can get a bit hung up on the details.
For some it's fender gap, in my case it's stance, I hate it when the front and rear wheels don't line up equally in the horizontal plane with the fender edges. I still shudder every time I see an early Saturn SL1 with its OE front wheels poking way out and rears MIA way under the fender edges. This is a pretty minor thing on the 3, but one that was easy to tweak on the PUO car with its (effectively) longer studs. As I said in the video (admitedly jacked up on a few too many coffees :)) the 3's body lines were clearly drawn to look optimal with a wider rear wheel and tire. And it looked like up until the last minute this was going to be offered in production (see 1st release of owner's manual that showed a staggered 19" setup). So if you want to stay "square" a little spacer in the rear helps bring it back to the look I think Franz originally envisioned.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mad Hungarian , a decrease of 8lbs per wheel resulted in a 2.5% decrease in your 0-60..

For the reverse, would you say the *addition* of 8lbs per wheel will result in an equal and proportionate increase in 0-60 times? I'm thinking there are other factors, but roughly speaking..

I'm asking, cause you guessed it, I added some weight with my 20x10.5 with 285's.. ;)
I

Oyster Bait

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agree that it's a minor difference but we wheel nerds can get a bit hung up on the details.
For some it's fender gap, in my case it's stance, I hate it when the front and rear wheels don't line up equally in the horizontal plane with the fender edges. I still shudder every time I see an early Saturn SL1 with its OE front wheels poking way out and rears MIA way under the fender edges. This is a pretty minor thing on the 3, but one that was easy to tweak on the PUO car with its (effectively) longer studs. As I said in the video (admitedly jacked up on a few too many coffees :)) the 3's body lines were clearly drawn to look optimal with a wider rear wheel and tire. And it looked like up until the last minute this was going to be offered in production (see 1st release of owner's manual that showed a staggered 19" setup). So if you want to stay "square" a little spacer in the rear helps bring it back to the look I think Franz originally envisioned.
Now that you explain it, makes perfect sense. ;-) Thanks for that.

When is FAST Wheels going to be ready to take my money for a set of 18 x 8 FC04s with all the spacers and rings, or better yet, the machining to avoid the need, for my P3D+ and ship them down to Florida? I need to get them on before it starts snowing down here.

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now that you explain it, makes perfect sense. ;-) Thanks for that.

When is FAST Wheels going to be ready to take my money for a set of 18 x 8 FC04s with all the spacers and rings, or better yet, the machining to avoid the need, for my P3D+ and ship them down to Florida? I need to get them on before it starts snowing down here.
We're working on the final details now.
Two solutions will be available for PUO cars, both of them pretty much Plug & Play:

1. We're going to make custom machined centering rings that incorporates the same 69.5 mm groove on the backside as the OE wheel to a and these will allow any of our standard 72.6 mm bore wheels to become "Bolt-on" with no other mods required.

2. We're going to have a few specific models in both Fast and Braelin that will be "Direct-Fit" hub-centric with the machined clearance area in the back just like the OE PUO wheels.

As soon as they are all cleared by Engineering we'll release a memo with the details to all our retailers and everyone will then be able to place orders!

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mad Hungarian , a decrease of 8lbs per wheel resulted in a 2.5% decrease in your 0-60..

For the reverse, would you say the *addition* of 8lbs per wheel will result in an equal and proportionate increase in 0-60 times? I'm thinking there are other factors, but roughly speaking..

I'm asking, cause you guessed it, I added some weight with my 20x10.5 with 285's.. ;)
I
Your logic is just about bang-on, that is probably about the result you'd get.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you don't have the performance upgrade package on the P3, you do not have the upgraded brakes, therefor, you do not have the lip.

The lip is created by a thinner rotor hat for the performance brakes.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We're working on the final details now.
Two solutions will be available for PUO cars, both of them pretty much Plug & Play:

1. We're going to make custom machined centering rings that incorporates the same 69.5 mm groove on the backside as the OE wheel to a and these will allow any of our standard 72.6 mm bore wheels to become "Bolt-on" with no other mods required.

2. We're going to have a few specific models in both Fast and Braelin that will be "Direct-Fit" hub-centric with the machined clearance area in the back just like the OE PUO wheels.

As soon as they are all cleared by Engineering we'll release a memo with the details to all our retailers and everyone will then be able to place orders!
@Mad Hungarian - any update on whether these plug and play options are available yet? Starting to get chilly out there.... :)

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mad Hungarian - any update on whether these plug and play options are available yet? Starting to get chilly out there.... :)
Yes, ready to go!
I was just waiting on our www.braelinalloy.ca results to synch with the newly created P3+ part numbers to announce it, but the short version is we now have both custom-machined 19" and 20" hub-centric wheels available in Braelin (dealers can call in and get availability live right now) and we have custom-machined stepped centering rings to fit a number of our Fast Wheels in 18", 19" and 20" and these results are already "live" on our consumer website:
www.fastwheels.com
Although the official memo to them will only go out tomorrow, you can in fact place orders with any of our dealers as of today.

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's a little teaser of what our custom-machined Braelin BR11 looks like on Magneto from a photo shoot we did last week...

19x9.0 +35 with 245/40R19 front
19x11.0 +45 with 275/35R19 rear (yes, we went to eleven)

img_0087-1-jpg.16470
img_e0098-1-jpg.16471
img_e0102-1-jpg.16472