STO-N-SHO Quick-Release Front License Plate Bracket - Model 3

cantdecide

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
You don't need both plates to leave a dealership. Even here in NJ they'll only issue one temp plate which is usually good for 30-days. Install the temp in the back and take it home.
Unfortunately here in MA there are no temporary plates. I'm not sure about the delivery process for a Tesla, but at regular dealerships they issue and install your official plates for you before you leave.

My other car has a tow-hook mounted license plate, I'll probably look for one of those.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately here in MA there are no temporary plates. I'm not sure about the delivery process for a Tesla, but at regular dealerships they issue and install your official plates for you before you leave.

My other car has a tow-hook mounted license plate, I'll probably look for one of those.
I see.. well just install the rear to make it home and wing it.

No cop is going to be that much of a jerk coming straight off the lot. Bring the STO-N-SHO with you and the second plate just in case you get stopped...you'll be fine. ;)

rlb4

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does Tesla automatically install the front license plate bracket at delivery or do we have to tell them not to?

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does Tesla automatically install the front license plate bracket at delivery or do we have to tell them not to?
Either way tell them what you want, it's your responsibility to display the plate, not theirs.

IF you forget and they install it have them get the detail guy out to remove the adhesive before you accept it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I love the way that the Sto n Sho places the license plate lower and doesn't hide as much of the fascia. I'm contemplating purchasing one while I wait for my plate to arrive. However, I'd love to think I'm getting a deal on it as well. Any thoughts about a group buy or a coupon code that brings it below the $84.99 price point?

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I love the way that the Sto n Sho places the license plate lower and doesn't hide as much of the fascia. I'm contemplating purchasing one while I wait for my plate to arrive. However, I'd love to think I'm getting a deal on it as well. Any thoughts about a group buy or a coupon code that brings it below the $84.99 price point?
The Amazon deal is about as good as it gets... direct manufacture price is $95. That said, I got mine for $80 as a return customer, reviewer and unofficial promoter by forwarding them this thread I started and they were nice enough to supply a "special" promo code. ;)

Last edited:

3PHASE

Country
Country
Is anyone worried about wires possibly under the piece you drill into, for the Sto-N-Sho? I'm about to do this soon. Delivery is imminent.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is anyone worried about wires possibly under the piece you drill into, for the Sto-N-Sho? I'm about to do this soon. Delivery is imminent.
I've installed my Sto-n-Sho and it didn't seem to be a problem. Either there are no wires under there, or the screws don't go deep enough to matter. It doesn't seem terribly secure to have the Sto-n-Show drilled into a plastic panel, but others have sworn that it stays put.

Attachments

rlb4

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've installed my Sto-n-Sho and it didn't seem to be a problem. Either there are no wires under there, or the screws don't go deep enough to matter. It doesn't seem terribly secure to have the Sto-n-Show drilled into a plastic panel, but others have sworn that it stays put.
How secure is yours?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How secure is yours?
Feels pretty secure, but only time will tell. I guess I'm wondering what'll happen when it first gets bumped by a car parallel parking in front of me. For now, I am keeping my front license plate off to see how often (or if/when) I get pulled over. The more I look at other cars, the more I see that 10-15% of the cars in the Bay Area don't even have a front plate. A friend of mine suggested that I only needed to put the plates on when going down the CHP-laden I-5.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Feels pretty secure, but only time will tell. I guess I'm wondering what'll happen when it first gets bumped by a car parallel parking in front of me. For now, I am keeping my front license plate off to see how often (or if/when) I get pulled over. The more I look at other cars, the more I see that 10-15% of the cars in the Bay Area don't even have a front plate. A friend of mine suggested that I only needed to put the plates on when going down the CHP-laden I-5.
Or parking in Berkeley or SF. Meter maids like to write that up.

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am having a hard time seeing what the issue with the provided adhesive front plate holder. Once I get my paint protection film on the bumper should not have any issues.

Or, should I?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am having a hard time seeing what the issue with the provided adhesive front plate holder. Once I get my paint protection film on the bumper should not have any issues.

Or, should I?
For me, it wasn't about damaging the front bumper and it wasn't even about the adhesive. I just didn't want to hide the front fascia. That fascia's a nice reminder to everyone that this is a Tesla, and certainly not a gas-guzzler. So I was looking for something that would place the front plate as low as possible. The Sto-n-Sho worked well for that purpose.

Interestingly, I took the front license plate off and I'm really starting to like the no-front-license-plate look! I'm going to try driving without it for a while to see if/when I get pulled over for it. As others have mentioned in this thread, I'll try and remember to put the plate on when parking on city streets or going on long-distance trips on the interstate.

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interestingly, I took the front license plate off and I'm really starting to like the no-front-license-plate look! I'm going to try driving without it for a while to see if/when I get pulled over for it. As others have mentioned in this thread, I'll try and remember to put the plate on when parking on city streets or going on long-distance trips on the interstate.
I started this thread and I'm feeling the same way... ;)

I haven't put a front plate on yet since they came in 2-weeks ago even with my STO-N-SHO ready and waiting even BEFORE I took delivery. :rolleyes: The front face is just soooo clean!!!

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
2019 aaaannnndd still no plate for me... but I'll at least install my Sto-N-Sho bracket on the car when things warm up and leave the plate in the frunk in case of a ticket hungry po-po.

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had the Sto-N-Sho on my car since delivery back in October 2018, and the plate is on full time. I just did not like the stick-on bracket. The only possible issue I have had with it, and this is not confirmed, was on a long steep downhill off a local mountain (several miles, low speed, hot day, 50% SoC, and within minutes of the drive up the mountain on the same road) my regen braking turned off. This may be because the plate restricts some airflow through the radiator at lower speeds, therefore I my have been running a higher coolant temp than the car preferred. I could repeat this trip to test this.