Steering Wheel Shakes when Dropping to ~40 MPH

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Doug Joubert

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One of my family's favorite things to do is to accelerate off a stop light, then ease up and go back to the speed limit. We don't go too far over, just enough to get the feel for the M3's acceleration.

As of about a week ago, the steering wheel started to shudder when we dropped to about 40 MPH. In an ICE, I would be thinking tire issues.

Any thoughts?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is it the lane departure warning?

Are you using friction braking? Could be warped rotors.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lane departure when turned on is on all the time the car is moving, not just when AP is engaged .I thought it was an unbalanced wheel too at first.
Technically speaking lane departure warning is really only when not in auto steer (autopilot), because auto steer shouldn’t be leaving the lane ;)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@dragonvoi @SoFlaModel3 So, what's your take? Is it lane departure shaking the steering wheel, or something else?
If it’s only as you described in the first post, then no; but if it’s just coincidence that you slowed and drifted to the side of the lane then I’d say yes.

Best bet is to hop in the car and try to reproduce and be mindful to not leave your lane without the turn signal on.

Doug Joubert

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it’s only as you described in the first post, then no; but if it’s just coincidence that you slowed and drifted to the side of the lane then I’d say yes.

Best bet is to hop in the car and try to reproduce and be mindful to not leave your lane without the turn signal on.
@SoFlaModel3 Thank you! I'll give that a shot tomorrow and let y'all know.

sakaike

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To get home, I drive on a non-highway residential street that is easily 2 1/2 lanes wide. Autopilot can be enabled on this street. as indicated by the gray steering wheel, however I never enable it because I am so close to home. That said, Autopilot recognizes the lane markings in the center divider, but because there are no other lane markings on my side of the street, I can get the shudder you describe when I move away from the center divider. Is this a possible reason for what you are experiencing? If so, I would consider this normal behavior and not a bug.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I found this thread searching for a problem with steering wheel shudder.
Every so often, my steering wheel shudders for about one second. It's normally when I'm driving 40 mph or higher. It often occurs when I'm crossing a lane seam or when entering or exiting an on ramp. It's not consistent, but I can often replicate the problem given 5 or 10 minutes. Passengers don't feel this shudder, apparently.

I'm seeing "lane departure" mentioned in this thread, presumably as a car feature. But, I'm NOT seeing that mentioned in my owner's manual at all. Is it maybe called something else?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I found this thread searching for a problem with steering wheel shudder.
Every so often, my steering wheel shudders for about one second. It's normally when I'm driving 40 mph or higher. It often occurs when I'm crossing a lane seam or when entering or exiting an on ramp. It's not consistent, but I can often replicate the problem given 5 or 10 minutes. Passengers don't feel this shudder, apparently.

I'm seeing "lane departure" mentioned in this thread, presumably as a car feature. But, I'm NOT seeing that mentioned in my owner's manual at all. Is it maybe called something else?
Page 77 of the manual I was looking at.
capture-png.16871

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's my list of most common reason why a steering wheel may vibrate:

-Lane departure warning, which often occurs not just near the edge of real lanes, but also by tar-filled seams and other dark lines in the pavement that the system is translating as lanes.
-Flat spots in the tires, becoming especially common this time of year as the rubber sits overnight in very cold temperatures, and will go away after several miles on the highway
-Truly unbalanced tires, which usually occur at particular harmonic speeds, this may require a visit to service or tire place for re-balancing
-a buildup of mud, snow, or ice in the rims. Don't forget to clear them out when digging your car out of a snow drift!

Vendacious

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Adding to that list: If your front brake rotors are a bit warped and you are using the brakes. My current car does this and I hate it. Resurfacing the rotors fixes it for a few thousand miles.