Steering wheel buttons default functionality

Frederik

Country
Country
We have seen in several videos from the reveal that the steering wheel buttons can be used to adjust the steering wheel position and the mirrors, but is there any information about their default functioniontality? Are they used for autopilot and/or audio volume control, or can they be assigned different functionalities? I haven’t seen any information on this and I’m very curious if anyone who had a test ride could elaborate on this.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We have seen in several videos from the reveal that the steering wheel buttons can be used to adjust the steering wheel position and the mirrors, but is there any information about their default functioniontality? Are they used for autopilot and/or audio volume control, or can they be assigned different functionalities? I haven’t seen any information on this and I’m very curious if anyone who had a test ride could elaborate on this.
My sense is that you can set that kind of thing.

viperd

Country
Country
From the pictures on the Google Photos page of the UI, you can't configure the default setting for the buttons on the wheels. So I would think they are context sensitive only, and if nothing is open it would control the audio.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From the pictures on the Google Photos page of the UI, you can't configure the default setting for the buttons on the wheels. So I would think they are context sensitive only, and if nothing is open it would control the audio.
The only thing I will say is...

1) We don't know what happens if you hold down the steering wheel buttons. That could bring up a menu to set defaults.

2) Tesla UI and functionality changes over time!! That means if you can't set the defaults on day 1, we can submit suggestions and it could be added later.

orcinus

Country
Country
3) The MotorTrend writeup noted their function could be assigned
Not quite.
It said:

These little wheels can be assigned to a number of functions via the central screen, including telescoping, raising, and lowering the steering wheel and adjusting the Tesla’s mirrors.
It doesn’t necessarily mean ”assigned by the user”, but ”assigned by the context on the screen”.
As in the provided examples (steering wheel adjustments, mirror adjustments).

AFAIK, we still haven’t seen anything beyond that, everything is just guesswork at this point.
This is what led me to believe the scroll wheel UI might still be heavily under construction, as i’ve mentioned in another thread.

Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
”assigned by the context on the screen”.
What a bizarre interpretation.

Let's take the case of no context on the screen. Should the wheels A) Do nothing, or B) Change the context (and thus their function)?

Thank you kindly.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What a bizarre interpretation.

Let's take the case of no context on the screen. Should the wheels A) Do nothing, or B) Change the context (and thus their function)?

Thank you kindly.
Well one possibility is that they have some kind of default function (that may or may not be programmable) and only when a specific context is on the screen do they assume a context-specific function.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey, when you get the car, then you will know. Until then, you are just spinning your keyboard.
Gee, sorry...I was only responding to a question someone had asked. At any rate, I wasn't aware that speculating and discussing items before taking delivery was frowned upon here.

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Gee, sorry...I was only responding to a question someone had asked. At any rate, I wasn't aware that speculating and discussing items before taking delivery was frowned upon here.
It's not, it's just me being grumpy.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Man, I really hope someone creates a video soon of the default functions of the wheels! I've seen them used for a few features like moving the steering wheel around and adjusting the a/c, but I'd really like to see the media controls. I would say 99% of the time I'll have nav and media up while i'm driving. I'm hoping I can control volume and other media functions from the left mouse wheel. I tend to switch between channels as well as AM/FM/SiriusXM frequently and also change volume, so I'd really love an easy way to change those. Ideally I'm thinking volume scroll up, channels scroll sideways, change AM/FM/Sirius click the button (if that's possible). Since I tend to drive with my left a lot, i'd like to use those from the left side.