Steering pulling left after software update last night

Kary993

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello, I am new to this forum as I just took delivery of my Model 3 last Wednesday. The car has been great!

Yesterday, Sunday 3-10-2019, I drove the car and everything as as usual. Around 6 pm my phone notified me a software update was ready and I elected to have it install immediately since I was going to be using the car. Software update 2019.5.15 f5def7e

This morning, 3-11-2019, I drove the car to work and at first it pulled hard left forcing me to put a fair amount of force to keep it straight. It seemed after about 20 minutes of driving it was a little better but still pulling. I also tried autopilot and of course autopilot could keep the car straight as it was doing all the work.

Searching the internet and some threads here seem inconclusive that the software update could force a steering recalibration. Perhaps it is recalibrating now? Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated before I jump the gun and try to get Tesla involved.

Kary993

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It appears after some more driving the steering is slowly working itself back to center. So I guess calibration does work.

Now though the car turned off all traction control, regenerative braking, etc suddenly while driving down the freeway. Some research stated just turn the car off and then restart it and it will clear. I will test later when I go home.

A little unnerving driving down the freeway and everything goes away particularly the regenerative braking. My old BMW i3 would lose it's regenerative braking when it hits bumps and in combination with an already initiated regenerative braking because I slowed down and hitting a bump caused the car to shoot forward because regenerative braking was disabled instantly when the bumps were hit. Fortunately I was on the freeway and had some time to realizze what the warnings were telling me ;)

rlmcgee

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone here found their front passenger window in the down position after backing up when parking the model 3 car? I’ve had this happen several times now but not on a consistent basis.

John Rea

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It appears after some more driving the steering is slowly working itself back to center. So I guess calibration does work.

Now though the car turned off all traction control, regenerative braking, etc suddenly while driving down the freeway. Some research stated just turn the car off and then restart it and it will clear. I will test later when I go home.

A little unnerving driving down the freeway and everything goes away particularly the regenerative braking. My old BMW i3 would lose it's regenerative braking when it hits bumps and in combination with an already initiated regenerative braking because I slowed down and hitting a bump caused the car to shoot forward because regenerative braking was disabled instantly when the bumps were hit. Fortunately I was on the freeway and had some time to realizze what the warnings were telling me ;)
This happened to me once. A power off and back on fixed it. It was quite unnerving.

Kary993

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, I spoke with Tesla last night and I did a hard reboot and the traction control error cleared.

Unfortunately, it reappeared again this morning on the way to work. I tried another hard reboot which failed to clear it.

I then call Tesla Service on the way to work, and got the preverbal hard reboot, yes I know. It doesn't work. They said make an appointment.

He said that I should try and show up at a service center and see if they can fit me in because the next appointment I can get is April 10th!!!!

I have not had the car for one week yet, a new software update and now the car features (regenerative braking, traction control, emergency stop, sport mode, auto-pilot) all do not work.

Is this the experiences of others here?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, I spoke with Tesla last night and I did a hard reboot and the traction control error cleared.

Unfortunately, it reappeared again this morning on the way to work. I tried another hard reboot which failed to clear it.

I then call Tesla Service on the way to work, and got the preverbal hard reboot, yes I know. It doesn't work. They said make an appointment.

He said that I should try and show up at a service center and see if they can fit me in because the next appointment I can get is April 10th!!!!

I have not had the car for one week yet, a new software update and now the car features (regenerative braking, traction control, emergency stop, sport mode, auto-pilot) all do not work.

Is this the experiences of others here?
That has not been my experience. I have had my car since 7/25 and have over 16k miles. No issues like that whatsoever. I hope you can get help before April 10th!

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am actually really glad I am on the east coast with no wifi for my car, because these software updates always seem to break something - you West Coast beta-testers do a great job finding the issues. Thanks!

Kary993

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well mysteriously, after another hard reboot and letting it sit for a while the regenerative braking, traction control, and emergency braking are back. I still do not have sport mode, chill mode, track mode or auto-pilot. Do have cruise control though....

John Rea

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car has been perfect other than the one time - right after an update - that all that stuff stopped working. But one reboot later and it all fixed. No issues since. Got the car on 11/30/18. Just got another update last night and so far everything is good. I'm wondering if your update was corrupt. Is it possible to reapply an update? i.e. the ranger comes out and forces an re-apply of the update?

Kary993

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure what the real issue is, but I have another message in detail into Tesla asking for help....will keep us posted but I guess I am the only one with this persistent issue....at least that has posted here or on the Telsa model 3 forum :((

Kary993

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am actually really glad I am on the east coast with no wifi for my car, because these software updates always seem to break something - you West Coast beta-testers do a great job finding the issues. Thanks!
I tweeted Elon to start beta testing to the public on the east coast first and he said "Good idea!"

Kary993

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The saga keeps moving along. No help from Tesla thus far. But everything is now working except for Sport mode and track mode. Maybe if I just wait another day more features will mysteriously appear back operating!

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
The saga keeps moving along. No help from Tesla thus far. But everything is now working except for Sport mode and track mode. Maybe if I just wait another day more features will mysteriously appear back operating!
There is no sport mode. You can set steering to sport, however. Also, you'll only have track mode if you have a P3D.

Kary993

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Many of us have experienced a pulling to one direction after a software update. This is, amazingly, normal, and should go away after a few dozen miles of driving.
Thanks for the valuable feedback. Wish I could get the rest of the driving modes working correctly after this update!

oripaamoni

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can confirm that I noticed the car pulling (for me it was always a strong right pull) after an update and then seen it slowly correct itself as I drove on. Happened twice so far where it was clearly noticeable. I just got 2019.5.15 the night before I was going in for an alignment and it was still pulling when I dropped it off, After the alignment the car drove perfectly straight but not now the steering wheel is slightly off center when tracking straight down the road, Haven't driven it since, Will see if it magically straightens out the wheel, My guess is it won't.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got 2019.5.15 the night before I was going in for an alignment and it was still pulling when I dropped it off, After the alignment the car drove perfectly straight but not now the steering wheel is slightly off center when tracking straight down the road
Who did your alignment?

oripaamoni

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A shop that I have take a few cars to now. The before and after readout are shockily similar to all the other alignment reports I have seen on here after getting UP milds or tsportline springs (about the same drop)

Last edited: