"Steam" wash and wax

flyeaglesfly

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I generally try to wash my car weekly, with a quick pass of optimum no rinse (I use one bucket and 5 microfibers, instead of two buckets and one microfiber) just to keep it generally clean. I can do that in 20 minutes, so it doesn't really eat into my weekend family time. But, I'd like to also do a periodic more thorough "detailing" to really maintain the car's finish. I neither want to put a lot of time into it, nor do I know what I'm doing beyond the simple weekly wash, so I'm willing to pay someone to do it. Problem is, because I don't know much about it, I'm not sure how best to find someone that will do it "right" and not damage things. I don't have a wrap, or any of the professional coatings, and I don't have any interest in paying for those (maybe the coating if it ultimately makes the detailing unnecessary and thus pays for itself by cancelling out the detailing cost)... I think I'm just looking for a good once or twice a year detailing, preferably one that can come to me.

I recently came across http://helloslick.com/detailing.html, which looks like it will come to me and it do it in my office parking lot while I work, but I don't know anything about the "steam" wash and wax they appear to use.

Does anyone know anything of the helloslick service or similar services in central Maryland? or have any general advice on the topic?

Perscitus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Steam cleaning is great. Inside and out. Safe and good for wheels, paint, interior, etc.

Give it a try and work it into your routine if youd like (say once every 3-6 months or more often if you need).

Jason@FreshStartDetail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I strongly recommend finding an IDA Certified Detail Company. Plus, always check the Google Reviews of any detail company. Our industry is littered with horribly unprofessional and un-trained companies that give the rest of us a bad name. Most of the time it's pretty easy to sniff out the bad apples. The last thing to base your decision on is price.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Steam cleaning is great. Inside and out. Safe and good for wheels, paint, interior, etc.

Give it a try and work it into your routine if youd like (say once every 3-6 months or more often if you need).
Repeated use of steam can be detrimental to the interior. It's gentle because it's water, but it's not gentle because heat and water vapor are involved. It should not be "routine".

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
th
I generally try to wash my car weekly, with a quick pass of optimum no rinse (I use one bucket and 5 microfibers, instead of two buckets and one microfiber) just to keep it generally clean. I can do that in 20 minutes, so it doesn't really eat into my weekend family time. But, I'd like to also do a periodic more thorough "detailing" to really maintain the car's finish. I neither want to put a lot of time into it, nor do I know what I'm doing beyond the simple weekly wash, so I'm willing to pay someone to do it. Problem is, because I don't know much about it, I'm not sure how best to find someone that will do it "right" and not damage things. I don't have a wrap, or any of the professional coatings, and I don't have any interest in paying for those (maybe the coating if it ultimately makes the detailing unnecessary and thus pays for itself by cancelling out the detailing cost)... I think I'm just looking for a good once or twice a year detailing, preferably one that can come to me.

I recently came across http://helloslick.com/detailing.html, which looks like it will come to me and it do it in my office parking lot while I work, but I don't know anything about the "steam" wash and wax they appear to use.

Does anyone know anything of the helloslick service or similar services in central Maryland? or have any general advice on the topic?
Holy crap, I just watched the quick 30 second video on the landing page of their website. I hope you RAN like hell from that crap. It sounds like you have a good knowledge of proper cleaning talking about 1/2 buckets and multiple microfibers (personally I prefer two buckets and a microfiber madness Incredipad but that's just me). Watching that video made me cringe hard! That dude just went from the wheels to the body to the interior and back with the SAME TOWEL! Even on a car post wash, that's going to make a giant mess. And if it wasn't washed before hand, YIKES!

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What would you use to routinely clean an interior with if not vapor steam?
A reputable interior cleaner specific to the material being cleaned (vinyl, leather, etc.)

I definitely painted with a broad brush in my previous statement. Steam is probably the most gentle on the actual surface vs. a chemical cleaner. However the heat (and the penetrating vapor) can lead to material delamination as well as adhesive delamination if not used properly.

Jason@FreshStartDetail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
A reputable interior cleaner specific to the material being cleaned (vinyl, leather, etc.)

I definitely painted with a broad brush in my previous statement. Steam is probably the most gentle on the actual surface vs. a chemical cleaner. However the heat (and the penetrating vapor) can lead to material delamination as well as adhesive delamination if not used properly.
Agreed. Using steam only as much as needed to remove the offending dirt is what is recommended. This is better than blasting everything with high-pressure steam regardless of whether it needs it or not. Like anything in this world, the best tool is one that's being used by a trained technician.

flyeaglesfly

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
th

Holy crap, I just watched the quick 30 second video on the landing page of their website. I hope you RAN like hell from that crap. It sounds like you have a good knowledge of proper cleaning talking about 1/2 buckets and multiple microfibers (personally I prefer two buckets and a microfiber madness Incredipad but that's just me). Watching that video made me cringe hard! That dude just went from the wheels to the body to the interior and back with the SAME TOWEL! Even on a car post wash, that's going to make a giant mess. And if it wasn't washed before hand, YIKES!
I had the same reaction and ultimately never tried this service. In fact, I haven't gotten any mobile detailing service yet because I realized that my current process seems to be maintaining a visual appearance on par with a just-detailed vehicle (after seeing one post-detailing by someone who had one done in my office park), by my eye at least. In fact, I think I'm doing better, as that one had some window streaking that would drive me nuts and I take as a sign of either bad technique or dirty cloths.

I'm either doing something right, or my eyes just aren't that good... either way it works for me!