Stats for Tesla (iOS)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I'm the developer of the Stats app. The app is designed to minimize the impact on iPhone and the car battery. I use the app quite often for testing and development and my phantom drain rate is about 0.15 miles per hour.
I also measured the phantom drain rate with and without Stats and the drain is virtually the same.
You can see the distribution of phantom drain in the attached image.
Regarding security: your credentials are stored in the app securely and are only sent to Tesla over a secure connection (TLS) to obtain a security token which is used for subsequent communication with Tesla servers.
I'm a Model S owner and not a corporation and I wrote the app for myself when I bought my car in 2017.

Attachments

CleanEV

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since taking delivery last Saturday (7/7), I installed this application that I read about from Tesla forum where OP named douglasstuckey had commented about this application - https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/stats-tesla-new-app

I did not find this developer on this forum and have mentioned to him to include a link to this forum from his app as he has various other forum links.

His website is - https://www.maadotaa.com. I will ask developer to join here to answer any questions as I have already sent him a few.

To be clear, I have no affiliation with the developer. The only reason I am posting this is to make this community aware of a product out there in case this is missed here. Other notable experience is, since installing this app; my questions have received quick and satisfactory responses. Although I just have 81 miles on odometer since delivery @ 7 miles, I need to make longer runs to get better details and highlight any issues in using this.

Feel free to check out this application & see if it suites your needs. I feel this app to be much more secure as the data resided on my device rather than in cloud.

Link to iOS store - Stats: For Tesla Model S/X/3 by MaaDoTaa https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stats-for-tesla-model-s-x-3/id1191100729?mt=8

CleanEV

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
TezLab will do pretty much the same stats and is currently free (no idea if they plan to monetize).
I see that one mentioned in Tesla forum as well however the thread has gone dead. It’s definitely interesting that Tezlab is free and being super conscious about security I wonder what the catch is? Do you have this app and what do you think are its strong point in comparison. I can install it but reading thru their webpage they require me to have a facebook/twitter account that I am not willing to share.

Would prefer hearing from you on your experience.

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Thanks @CleanEV.
Some of the unique features of the app:
- battery Heath graph shows how battery capacity changes over time
- your phantom drain compared to others as a histogram
- your efficiency vs. others
- climate scheduling
- charge reminder if the battery is below the designated level and car is at home and time is after a designated time
- notification if you turn on th climate remotely and forget to turn it off
- efficiency vs. temperature
- sending an address from your iOS device to the car. When you get in the car, the address appears in your calendar and navigation starts once you tap on the calendar item.
- a bar chart that shows percentage of users that are on each firmware version

I’m an owner and I’m actively working on this app. I’m very interested in your comments and suggestions for improvements

DannyHamilton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s definitely interesting that Tezlab is free and being super conscious about security I wonder what the catch is?
Paying for an App does not make it more secure.

My issue with TezLab is that they require that I provide them with mu username and password for the Tesla.com website so that they can acquire an API authentication token. In contrast, the TeslaFi website will allow me to provide them with the API authentication token so that I don't need to give them my userID or password.

If the Stats App doesn't have an option to provide the API token, then I'm not interested in paying for something that I can already get for free from TezLab.

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

My issue with TezLab is that they require that I provide them with mu username and password for the Tesla.com website so that they can acquire an API authentication token. In contrast, the TeslaFi website will allow me to provide them with the API authentication token so that I don't need to give them my userID or password.

If the Stats App doesn't have an option to provide the API token, then I'm not interested in paying for something that I can already get for free from TezLab.
Not trying to convince you to download the app; just commenting on some of the points made.

I may add the option to provide a token instead of credentials but tokens expire and you need to generate and re-enter them and that's a hassle. When tokens expire, the app can't collect data and people will blame the app.

Regarding feature parity between Tezlab and Stats: I've listed unique features that Stats has and Tezlab does not want n another post in this thread. Also, I don't use the streaming mode of the API to collect data because it affects battery drain of the app. With Stats installed the phantom drain does not change at all if the Tesla app is installed already.

Regarding security and trust: unfortunately Tesla had not implemented oAuth2 yet. When they do, I'll use it and you don't have to enter your credentials into the app at all. I have several apps in the app store and you can decide for yourself about the credibility of me as a developer. There are several third party apps for Tesla and there had not been a single instance of abusing the credentials. As for Stats, your credentials are stored security on your device only and is sent over a secure pipe (TLS) to Tesla only.

Hope this helps.

CleanEV

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I never said anything about paid app and security. My key concern is and will remain where tezlab is requirement me to hand them my Twitter or Facebook - not happening even if it’s free.
While we are on this subject, and if you’ve installed it what is your experience as I never heard from other poster. I will try when tezlab comes up with non FB/twitter login

CleanEV

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Stats App

I've been using your app for a while and am pleased with what all it offers.
Can you add custom URL to your app if not already or let me know the URL so I can add it to launcher?

I mean to say this function -
http://iosdevelopertips.com/cocoa/launching-your-own-application-via-a-custom-url-scheme.html

This will allow to add an app to the launcher and with new features being added to iOS this may someday be incorporated into the OS instead of need to buy external products

Thank you

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Hi @CleanEV,

Yes, the app supports this feature already. The URL scheme is "quicktesla://"
For example, if you type this url in Safari, it'll launch the Stats app.

Also, another way to launch the app quickly is using the its Widget (I'm sure you know about this already).

Once iOS 12 is released officially (probably even before that), I'll add support for voice shortcuts to Stats.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Stats user here. Great experience so far, but why do the graphs display in reverse chronological order?? It’s infuriating to read. It should be oldest to newest from left to right, or at least have a toggle to let the user choose.

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Stats user here. Great experience so far, but why do the graphs display in reverse chronological order?? It’s infuriating to read. It should be oldest to newest from left to right, or at least have a toggle to let the user choose.
Thanks for using the app. The graphs are structured this way because otherwise as you accumulate more data new data goes off the screen to the right and you have to swipe left multiple times to see the most recent data. You will appreciate this once you have enough data that goes off the screen.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for using the app. The graphs are structured this way because otherwise as you accumulate more data new data goes off the screen to the right and you have to swipe left multiple times to see the most recent data. You will appreciate this once you have enough data that goes off the screen.
Thanks for the insight. Maybe it could default to always scroll all the way to the right and let the user scroll back to see old data? Reading a chart right to left just won’t ever feel natural to me.

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Thanks for the insight. Maybe it could default to always scroll all the way to the right and let the user scroll back to see old data? Reading a chart right to left just won’t ever feel natural to me.
It'll feel natural as you use the app more.
Scrolling all the way to the right every time will look weird. This is the mode that a lot of users requested.

What numbers so you get for efficiency?

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Considering to add iOS 12 "shortcuts" to the Stats app for Tesla.
Let me know if you can think of a good use-case for "shortcuts" and Tesla

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Considering to add iOS 12 "shortcuts" to the Stats app for Tesla.
Let me know if you can think of a good use-case for "shortcuts" and Tesla
I hardly use Siri at all, but custom Siri shortcuts, especially combined with my Apple Watch, suddenly make it very tantalizing.
Even Dick Tracy couldn't tap his watch and just say "pull my car out from the garage."

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I hardly use Siri at all, but custom Siri shortcuts, especially combined with my Apple Watch, suddenly make it very tantalizing.
Even Dick Tracy couldn't tap his watch and just say "pull my car out from the garage."
Default Tesla app supports a few Siri functionalities which I find very useful. I use the "Unlock my car" a lot when I don't have the fob on my and I need to get something from the car in the garage.

geiland

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Dear Stats App,
I just read this thread and decided to buy your app from the iTunes App Store. I downloaded it OK, but when I entered my Tesla credentials it crashed. Every time I try to reopen it, it immediately closes. I have an iPhone 6s with 20GB memory free. I don't have my Model 3 year, hope to get it in August; not sure if that matters...I did not see any other way to reach you so am trying this.

Please advise. Thanks.

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Dear Stats App,
I just read this thread and decided to buy your app from the iTunes App Store. I downloaded it OK, but when I entered my Tesla credentials it crashed. Every time I try to reopen it, it immediately closes. I have an iPhone 6s with 20GB memory free. I don't have my Model 3 year, hope to get it in August; not sure if that matters...I did not see any other way to reach you so am trying this.

Please advise. Thanks.
The app works only if you have actually taken delivery of your car. Let me know if you have any issues once your car is delivered. Thanks for downloading the app.