Station features?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd rather have a lot more low-power (even L1 if need be) charging stations than a handful of L2 charging stations. Especially where people work.

It's a pain to have to move your car to allow others to charge during work. When there are a small number of charging stations, then you end up in this weird situation where one of the following happens:
  1. Charging is in some ways less convenient. Now I have to take time out of my day to move my car to allow someone else to charge. If the parking garage is full, it could take a while to find another place to park too.
  2. People get upset at my car remaining at a charging station when it appears to no longer be charging. But I have reasons for wanting it to remain there. I prefer to "top-off" the battery from 80% to 100% right before I leave, because it shouldn't be sitting at 100% charge for too long. And I like to pre-heat the cabin right before I leave.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I'll second Garsh - low cost chargers. In my spare time I'm assisting with a commercial project in the design phase, and the developer - having a green and forward-thinking attitude - would like to have 50% of all parking spaces have access to EV charging, so many that you don't even have to mark spaces as "EV charging spaces", and nobody needs to worry about parking in the right spot. But when per-unit prices on chargers are high, that's difficult to accomplish.

Whether or not there's a central piece of hardware that processes payments / controls access, the bulk need to be dumb, simple units (each serving up to 4 vehicles, placed caddy-corner to the parking spaces). Even if they're just level-1 sockets (Schuko sockets here), we just need something that's cheap to deploy en-masse.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Home Charger with option for second plug and sequential charging. Many people may only be able to connect a charger to a 50 or 60 amp circuit but want to charge more than one car. If you have a second plug option, both cars can be plugged in and automatically switch over when the first car is fully charged.