Static sound from dash speaker

Dano9258

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So we took a trip to CA this weekend and we listened to a lot of streaming music on the way. On a few (maybe 3 of the 200 + we lialiste to, there was a sound from the dash speakers that sounded like static or crackling. Change the song and it would go away. Is the speaker bad already? I've never turned it past approx half way, and bass has been kept at the middle 0 setting. Any idea what this is? The best way to describe it is static but maybe even crackling..

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm experiencing the same speaker static/crackling noise on random songs too! I'll need to pay more attention next time and see if it's specific songs that cause this issue and if it can be replicated by playing the same song again.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Reported previously as well. Don't know of any fix or outcome other than what you note you do. Change songs and it clears up. Does not seem to be a bad speaker or the noise would continue.

Edit. - I went searching and don't find the other thread. Could have been on TMC or FB at one time. Don't know if there was any resolution or not.

Last edited:

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the audio takes advantage of soft DSP filters that Tesla writes, because they've bragged in the past about being able to enhance sound a great deal.

My theory—and I do have one—is that occasionally they introduce bugs which generate non-music noise in the digital music pre-amp stream. Not purely white noise, but periodic false signals that hiss, flutter, or crackle.

viperd

Country
Country
I think the audio takes advantage of soft DSP filters that Tesla writes, because they've bragged in the past about being able to enhance sound a great deal.

My theory—and I do have one—is that occasionally they introduce bugs which generate non-music noise in the digital music pre-amp stream. Not purely white noise, but periodic false signals that hiss, flutter, or crackle.
I drove an AP1 Model X for 4 days 10 days ago. And I noticed this happening when supercharging. While charging (for 20 minutes), it only happened a few times.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This used to happen a lot more on older firmware but I've noticed it still comes up. It's not a constant thing either. Maybe 1 song a week and it's not song specific. Slacker tends to play the same songs pretty frequently.

Tony H

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
experience same issue occasionally. Seems to be randomly.
Will go away if I skip to next song and it didn't happen to same song if I play it again.

Chobo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had this issue since March. I mentioned it to the SC and they claimed to have fixed it, but the problem persists.

I just pause and unpause the current song to make it go away.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have had this problem as well. At first I thought it was the song but replayed one today that I noticed the issue with. No issues on the replay...so I have no idea what the issue is.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same issue. The temperary fix is to simply hit pause and then play. I think this is a digital aliasing issue - i.e. when a digital signal gets re-digitized, this can happen if the phases of the two signals are just in the wrong combination. Basically the digital signal gets digitized right when the digital transitions are occurring. Therefore, when you hit pause and then play, you effectively are resetting the phase, which fixes the problem. They should be able to fix this in a future software update.