Starlink Info/Beta

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

jdr93@

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
musk has indicated starlink uplink/downlink reception is poor, so far, at the boca chita spacex facility.
people living in the states along the canadian border may be the earliest to be offered a chance to be beta testers. the already reported very early users in washington state included fire departments in/near burned out communities. there are already starlink ground stations in washington state. it was reported a couple months ago the fcc granted permission for stations to be operated in california, minnesota, idaho, alabama, georgia and montana. (that authorization may have run out in september.) but see this too.
heard rumour there may be a pre-beta tester in central vt. there is a planned ground station in beekmantown ny. (a person perhaps associated with tesla or spacex or starlink?) if the rumour has any truth the tester likely signed an nda.
the agency of the canadian government responsible for licensing services offered by entities like starlink has not yet given permission for people in canada to receive a starlink signal.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I signed up some time ago but haven't heard anything back. I was on the lower end of the latitude they were covering

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Interesting to hear about Boca Chica as that is South of DFW even by over 500 miles. Interesting to know they are getting any signal there. Must be some sats above us, just not many. It will continue to fill in fast.

The ground stations were something new I just heard about last week. Either I haven't followed as closely as I thought or they've just started talking about them. Anyone know how they play a part? Is the ground station where the sats will connect to the wired world back here on earth? If I end up being 3 miles from a ground station, my signal would go up and hit a sat, transfer to the appropriate sat and then back to the ground station?

jdr93@

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
i signed up by providing starlink with an email address a while back. shortly after received an email asking for a physical address. sent that and nothing seen since.
the satellites are relay stations, operating like telephone poles with wires, but instead wirelessly linking homes/offices to ground stations which send the signals on to data centers. there have been reports the eventual intention is for the satellites to commuinicate directly with one-another, the idea being to keep the signals moving at light speed, twice the speed as through even fiber optic cables.
the service will be most useful to people too far from cable or dsl services to provide them with profits. musk has said they're looking for public beta testers with a clear view of the sky.
here is a link to a near real time representation of the somewhat more than 700 starlink satellites circling the planet. you can see the several 'trains' of dots which represent newly launched satellites which have not completed their 2 -3 month long transfers into their more spread out orbit locations necessary to increase signal reach and coverage.
there have been 13 launches of starlink satellites but most if not all of the first 60 satellites were to demonstrate and experiment with their communication capability. they are now being 'deorbited', burning up as they speed through the atmosphere. apparently they were never intended to be part of the starlink service.
here is a reddit forum dedicated to all things spacex

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Right now they are only calling on beta testers at the latitude of Seattle and north. it will take a few more launches to bring coverage south.
But I'm sure Santa's loving it!

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was very impressed to hear they are actually using their optical satellite to satellite links, but at the moment only between four satellites...just a proof of concept. I hope they add it to all future satellites. Meanwhile, just waiting for more launches to bring coverage a bit more south.