Standard Cruise Control Bailout

Vistan

Country
Country
I have the standard cruise control (no autopilot) on my Model 3. Is there a way to get out of cruise control other than tapping the brake? I tried manipulating the gear shift lever, but ended up shifting into neutral at 65mph - not good! I can't find any discussion about the cruise control in the online manual...

Vistan

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Have you tried tapping or double tapping the control stalk to disengage?

Even though it's not a problem, it's still not ergonomic. It takes more effort for no apparent reason, which is not acceptable. It's like looking at the shifter when shifting a manual transmission - you do it in driving school for few times, no problem, but you learn to do it with muscle memory. Not possible with cruise control buttons on the screen.
I'm pretty sure one of the scroll wheels becomes cruise speed adjustment wheels when cruise is activated. OTA can fix that.
And on AP enabled vehicles, left-right click on that same scroll knob would adjust following distance. Left shorter - right longer. Easy as that.

Country
Country
With the standard cruise control does the car maintain distance from cars ahead or do you get a sudden braking with emergency braking if you are going faster than car in front of you ?
AFAIK, the standard cruise control is just like every other dumb cruise control of the last umpteen years: it holds a set speed and knows *nothing* about the road around you and the cars on it. The collision avoidance system *should* kick in to keep you from rear-ending the car in front of you if you're not paying attention but then you'll get rear-ended by the car behind you. At which point your Model 3 will reach out and slap you.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With the standard cruise control does the car maintain distance from cars ahead or do you get a sudden braking with emergency braking if you are going faster than car in front of you ?
If the car determines that a collision is unavoidable, automatic emergency braking will kick in to mitigate the force of the collision, but otherwise will not slow down if you're approaching another car. I don't know if there's a certain speed differential for that to occur.

scottf200

Country
Country
I have the standard cruise control (no autopilot) on my Model 3. Is there a way to get out of cruise control other than tapping the brake? I tried manipulating the gear shift lever, but ended up shifting into neutral at 65mph - not good! I can't find any discussion about the cruise control in the online manual... Vistan
FYI, also the manual clearly tells you this and only takes a minute to look up.
Canceling and Resuming
To manually cancel Traffi c-Aware Cruise Control, move the gear lever up and release or press the brake pedal. The speedometer icon on the touchscreen turns gray to indicate that Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is not actively controlling your speed.

Runt8

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
AFAIK, the standard cruise control is just like every other dumb cruise control of the last umpteen years: it holds a set speed and knows *nothing* about the road around you and the cars on it. The collision avoidance system *should* kick in to keep you from rear-ending the car in front of you if you're not paying attention but then you'll get rear-ended by the car behind you. At which point your Model 3 will reach out and slap you.
As @Kizzy mentions above, there is no collision avoidance system. Automatic emergency braking is designed to decrease the severity of an accident, not prevent it. So standard cruise control will happily send you running straight into a brick wall and AEB will try to help you survive it.

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have Pre-Collision Avoidance System in my 2010 Lexus. In the 4 years I've owned the car, it's only kicked in once; when someone pulled out in front of me from a side street. Because I reacted at the same time as it did, the only thing I know for sure is the seat belt retracted to pull me snugly into the seat. I was only going maybe 35 mph and didn't hit the car, so I'm not sure if it would have braked for me (if I hadn't been paying attention) or if the seat belt retraction is the only thing it would have done. As much as I'd like to know this, I'm not going to run it into the garage door to find out.

Vistan

Country
Country
FYI, also the manual clearly tells you this and only takes a minute to look up.
Thanks for the advice on how to read the manual...I DID read this section, but since it is referring to the Traffic Aware Cruise Control system, which my car does NOT have, I was not sure that it applied to my standard cruise control. As far as I know, the current online manual does not address the standard cruise control.

Vistan

As @Kizzy mentions above, there is no collision avoidance system. Automatic emergency braking is designed to decrease the severity of an accident, not prevent it. So standard cruise control will happily send you running straight into a brick wall and AEB will try to help you survive it.
Incorrect. All AEBs have their limitations. Sometimes AEB stops before hitting. More info at Euroncap website.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You misspelled "correct". ;)
Sometimes AEB stops before hitting.
That is true, but nobody guarantees that their AEB system will prevent a collision. They'll just say that it will decrease the speed when it is determined that a collision is pretty much unavoidable.

It's not quaranteed but it will happen in identical scenario (tires, road surface etc). Otherwise Ncaptests would be useless.

Runt8

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Incorrect. All AEBs have their limitations. Sometimes AEB stops before hitting. More info at Euroncap website.
This is the Model 3 forum, and the way I described it is exactly how the Model 3 implementation of AEB works.

Country
Country
This is the Model 3 forum, and the way I described it is exactly how the Model 3 implementation of AEB works.
And every other implementation of AEB; sometimes they stop, sometimes they don't. Every company's version of AEB describes it in pretty much the same way Tesla does.

Last edited:

scottf200

Country
Country
Thanks for the advice on how to read the manual...I DID read this section, but since it is referring to the Traffic Aware Cruise Control system, which my car does NOT have, I was not sure that it applied to my standard cruise control. As far as I know, the current online manual does not address the standard cruise control. Vistan
Here is my confusion. If the manual stated "move the gear lever up and release" for TACC why would you not TRY that for standard cruise control guessing it was the same? That would have seemed like a reasonable thing to try. Hope that helps explain my confusion.

John Rea

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there a way to RESUME - say you cancel cruise and then want to go back to what you had it before. Most cars have a resume and cancel button.