Stain

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I can’t seem to get this stuff off my car. It appeared after using the wiper guild. It seems to have left a stain on the car. I fluid seem to get it off, even after multiple car washes.

Anyone have ideas how to get it off?

Attachments

Last edited:

W F

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Aren't those just hard water spots? You can avoid them if you wipe dry your car after the wash. If the spots are more stubborn, you can probably spray some alcohol/water mixture and wipe it off.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Also, you can use distilled water to wash your car to avoid water spots.

BTW, what in the world is a "wiper guild"?

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
lol. My bad. Autocorrect. And this happened after I used the wiper fluid, not from a car wash.

I have tried nail polish remover. Maybe I need the higher proof stuff.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have tried nail polish remover. Maybe I need the higher proof stuff.
go to a detail shop and ask them what product to use to remove the water stains - it will be different depending on your local water (what works here may not work there...) but I would stop with the acetone immediately! water stains are typically a mineral deposit that the acetone will not do anything for. What acetone will do is mess up the bright trim and paint if any comes in contact with it.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Can you feel it, is it on the outside or inside the panel? Can you scratch it off with your fingernail (which is OK only because this part is glass)?

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
go to a detail shop and ask them what product to use to remove the water stains - it will be different depending on your local water (what works here may not work there...) but I would stop with the acetone immediately! water stains are typically a mineral deposit that the acetone will not do anything for. What acetone will do is mess up the bright trim and paint if any comes in contact with it.
I only did the acetone on one small spot as a test but only on the glass. Didn’t work.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Can you feel it, is it on the outside or inside the panel? Can you scratch it off with your fingernail (which is OK only because this part is glass)?
You can feel it with a finger nail but can not scratch it off. There’s some on the trim and a very small section of paint.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had hard water stains like that before and I used vinegar and water mixture and removed them without any issues.
What percentage of vinegar to water ratio have you used and is it safe on a small section of paint?

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You can feel it with a finger nail but can not scratch it off. There’s some on the trim and a very small section of paint.
I'm amazed it won't scratch off. Do you have any car polish you can try to rub it off?
Vinegar shouldn't hurt anything if you rinse it off after a few minutes. But I really wonder what this is if it's not coming off so easy.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think 10% vinegar 90% water. You can bump up the vinegar percentage if needed.
This didn’t work either. I bumped to about 30% and no luck. I took it to a car wash and they don’t think it’s water stain. They haven’t seen something like it and tried with their nails too. No luck. They tried buffing it a little and suggested I take it to a detail shop.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This didn’t work either. I bumped to about 30% and no luck. I took it to a car wash and they don’t think it’s water stain. They haven’t seen something like it and tried with their nails too. No luck. They tried buffing it a little and suggested I take it to a detail shop.
Sorry to hear that. That stain is tough! Looking forward to seeing how you'll resolve this.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sorry to hear that. That stain is tough! Looking forward to seeing how you'll resolve this.
So I finally got into the service center and had them look at my car. They said they had no idea what if was besides maybe sap that eroded the B pillar glass and part of the chrome. They replaced it for me and looks great. Will post pictures shortly!

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So I finally got into the service center and had them look at my car. They said they had no idea what if was besides maybe sap that eroded the B pillar glass and part of the chrome. They replaced it for me and looks great. Will post pictures shortly!
That’s great. Tesla Service Centers are very accommodating. Looking forward to your pics. Take care.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sorry the late reply. It’s been crazy finishing up a project at work.

They did a wonderful job. Plus I got my windows tinted finally!
That's great! Glad to hear they did a great job for you. Take care!
I really like tinted windows on red Model 3s.