Squeaky brakes?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The brakes on my Model 3 Performance have started to squeak rather loudly as I'm slowing to a stop. It gets worse in wet weather, and almost goes away completely in dry weather.

When I mentioned this to the Service Center, they said that this is normal for the performance brakes. Given that they made no such noise for several months, I believe that this is a solvable problem, and I intend to solve it.

Has anybody else had an issue with squeaky brakes? Any suggestions or ideas for a solution? To start, I'm planning to lubricate the parts where the pads move within the calipers. But I wanted to see if anybody else had thoughts or information.

Slade037

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same issues with my P3D+. It only happens when the rotors gets a little wet. I get an annoying honking like sound. It happens at the last moments of breaking. 5mph - complete stop. Haven't really put much effort into researching any solution. It does not happen when it is dry. Like now in the summer.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know if it's your particular issue, but regen on EV's makes brake rotors and pads build up a little bit of squeaky rust that doesn't want to go away. Drive the car harder for a half hour or so to get the brakes to heat up and the rust to be scraped off.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same issues with my P3D+. It only happens when the rotors gets a little wet. I get an annoying honking like sound. It happens at the last moments of breaking. 5mph - complete stop.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm experiencing.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know if it's your particular issue, but regen on EV's makes brake rotors and pads build up a little bit of squeaky rust that doesn't want to go away.
No, it's not that. I've had that happen. Usually, that results in more of a grinding sound than a squeaking/honking. And I can always clear that up with a quick burst up to speed followed by some panic braking.

This is a different issue. My guess is just the pads vibrating due to lack of lubrication. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to work on it and confirm that.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Performance brake pads are much more likely to squeek due to the harder compound. It often becomes more pronounced as they bead in...
And it might just be that, and the technician at the SC is correct. But it's annoying enough that I'm going to attempt to solve it.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
And it might just be that, and the technician at the SC is correct. But it's annoying enough that I'm going to attempt to solve it.
Any luck solving your issue?

Back in the olden days.........:rolleyes:

.......the first thing I would try is synthetic caliper grease between the back of the pads, the anti rattle clips and the mating areas in the calipers themselves.

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Back in the olden days.........:rolleyes:

.......the first thing I would try is synthetic caliper grease between the back of the pads, the anti rattle clips and the mating areas in the calipers themselves.
This works in 100% of all cases of "squeaky" brakes. Make sure the greased surfaces are clean and dry before applying.

I use this stuff:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any luck solving your issue?
So far, no. I've only worked on the front calipers though. I'll have to perform some 2-man tests to confirm that the noise comes from the front.

I used this on all the brake pad contact points (after cleaning & drying (and no, not on the rotor-touching surface)):

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I used this on all the brake pad contact points (after cleaning & drying (and no, not on the rotor-touching surface)):
Not what that stuff is used for. That's more used to prevent dissimilar metal anti-corrosion and lubricating threaded applications. More better to use a compound specifically made for brakes. If I remember I will post some pics on how/where to apply the lube to stop squealing. Maybe tmr morn.

Last edited:

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have not done brakes in a while. But years ago when doing brakes part of the job (and kit) was to apply this blue gel to the back of the pads (might have been made by permatex). Later pads have that built in to the pad with some layer on the back of the pad. They probably still make that “anti squeal” gel. Bare pad against piston has high probability of squeal.

You could try a different (better) brake pad or/or rotor. It’s high frequency resonance. The material on the back of the pad breaks (insulates) the path for the vibration to travel through the car.

Here is the stuff, I’ve not needed to use it in decades because good pads already have it built in. But it won’t hurt to add this. It’s not intuitive where you apply it either. Just a strip down the middle not the whole contact surface. At least that’s what it used to say.

I remember the first time I used this stuff and put it on the wrong side of the pad. Typical guy not reading directions.

Last edited:

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I always take my car for a drive after a wash to avoid letting the brakes rust over night. When I didn't they would sound horrible until a few hard stops.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I always take my car for a drive after a wash to avoid letting the brakes rust over night. When I didn't they would sound horrible until a few hard stops.
I experience that periodically (on my Nissan Leaf as well), but it's a very different sound, more of a grinding than a squeak or groan. And that one's easy to fix - a few moderate applications of the brake pedal will clear off that rust.

JustTheTip

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same issues with my P3D+. It only happens when the rotors gets a little wet. I get an annoying honking like sound. It happens at the last moments of breaking. 5mph - complete stop. Haven't really put much effort into researching any solution. It does not happen when it is dry. Like now in the summer.
Yup. Count me in.