Squeaking noise coming from passenger brakes

2pix

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This high pitched squeaking happens when starting to move from being parked. I've noticed it in parking lots so far. Maybe other times I have the music up so I don't hear it. Is this a pedestrian safety feature so people can hear the car coming at low speed situations or do I have brake component interference that I need to get checked out? I have the 19" sport wheels, it not throwing any parking brake codes and whatever it is it's definitely not slowing the car down.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
This high pitched squeaking happens when starting to move from being parked. I've noticed it in parking lots so far. Maybe other times I have the music up so I don't hear it. Is this a pedestrian safety feature so people can hear the car coming at low speed situations or do I have brake component interference that I need to get checked out? I have the 19" sport wheels, it not throwing any parking brake codes and whatever it is it's definitely not slowing the car down.
It's not a pedestrian safety feature, the brakes shouldn't squeak. Have Tesla check it out.

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same issue. It's coming from the passenger side. I have the 18" wheels. Not sure if it's a sticking caliper, bearing, etc but I don't hear it above 10 MPH and it mostly does it when turning to the left.

2pix

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same issue. It's coming from the passenger side. I have the 18" wheels. Not sure if it's a sticking caliper, bearing, etc but I don't hear it above 10 MPH and it mostly does it when turning to the left.
So I manually turned on the parking brake and it sounds like it acctuates on the passenger side so I wonder if it's not fully releasing. But yeah it's more pronounced turning left, like out of a parking space. II'l try turning right out today. Wasn't able to get my local Tesla service on the phone yesterday but did send an email, waiting on a reply.

2pix

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla service rover could hear the noise and replaced both rear pads and brake clips. He stated on the paperwork they were installed incorrectly. A little scary but been a few weeks I haven't heard anything else.

EarlyBuyer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same issue with my RWD long range. The squeaking/squealing started at first only when braking while backing up, however over a few weeks time it graduated to while driving forward as well. I took it into the service center and was told it was due to the brake spring clip(s)- (it wasn't specified if they were broken or if there was some other issue). In any case they are going to be replaced; currently they are on backorder. This is being handled as a warranty repair. My M3 has 14,400 miles on it.

2pix

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Who would have done such a thing??
IDK but I guess when you're under pressure to produce 5k a week. Someone is going to screw up something. I waited pass them working out most kinks to order so brake clip and condensation in a taillight is all the production issue I have out of the thing I'll be okay.
I had the same issue with my RWD long range... My M3 has 14,400 miles on it.
Mine was fixed in the first 1.5k miles. Early buyer went much farther. I assume whomever was installing the brake clips messed up a bunch since they are on backorder they must be replacing a lot.

Vin

Country
Country
I had the brake clips squeak when I first got the car last July. They said it was those brake clips getting stuck sometimes causing the squeak. They replaced it for free by installing 2 new rear brake pads. Haven't had a squeak since.

Magnets!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Glad they are tackling the issue rather than just saying it is normal for high performance brakes, ala Audi. However I have a feeling this will be a long term issue on the Model 3 due to minimal need for brake usage and therefore some drivers having their pads glaze. Solution is some occasional hard braking.

EarlyBuyer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks everyone; glad to read we're not alone on this and Tesla is fixing the issue for us. I hope I get new rear pads (plus new clips) like Vin did. Mine have been squealing for 2+ months now and it took some time to get an appointment that worked with my schedule. Concerned there's been damage to the pads (or rotors) at this point.