Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Speed warnings

13K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  MelindaV 
#1 ·
So 6 weeks in and I'm still figuring it out apparently. I've had speed limit warning set to "display" since day 1 and never figured out how it worked until just now.

Communication Device Font Mobile device Gadget Display device

Notice I am less than 7 over the speed limit and the speed limit sign is small.

Clock Communication Device Gadget Font Gas

Now notice I am more than 7 over and it's big. It also animated as it increases/decreases in size.

Font Gas Technology Gadget Machine

I had seen the speed limit sign increase and decrease in size before but didn't figure it out until just now.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm gonna be honest: I can't see any difference in the size of the speed limit sign between those pics....

#3 ·
Funny because after posting I thought the same thing. It's actually noticeable in the car, I promise!

Reactions: MRinPDX
#4 ·
Side note/question: Does anyone know if setting the "Speed Limit Warning" to "OFF" would decouple TACC/EAP speeds from the speed limit?

I saw in a video that doing so grays out the "Speed Limit - Relative/Absolute" settings, but I don't know what effect, if any, that would have on TACC/EAP. (The section in the manual about the Speed Limit Warning setting and it's relation to TACC/EAP speed settings is pretty confusing.)

#6 ·
Ok so if you turn off the Speed Limit Warning it will gray out the Speed Limit, but maintain the Speed Limit selection and Offset. TACC/EAP continue to work with the limit but there is no speed limit "warning".

Computer Font Personal computer Electronic device Menu

#10 ·
Funny because after posting I thought the same thing. It's actually noticeable in the car, I promise!
OK, so yesterday I watched my display as I passed the threshold, and yes, indeed it does get bigger.

Reactions: SoFlaModel3
G
#11 ·
Therefore Tesla should conclude, "DISPLAY" option is insufficient
as even advanced users hardly notice (or understand) the warning.
This is safety feature, manufacturer gets some points for that. Let's make it a
real feature, not just a show-off slider. Whoever doesn't want warning, can turn it off.

Proposal: Speed limit sign turns big and red. Secondary option: speed reading turns red.

Proposal2: "CHIME" activated at secondary custom limit while "DISPLAY" at primary custom limit.
Example: visual warning at +7mph, audio warning at +13mph.

Question, is the chime continuous or single beep? I'd consider single beep as more reasonable.

#12 ·
The chime is a single beep that temporarily reduces audio volume so you can't miss it.

I really like your recommendation! I don't want the chime at 7 MPH over, but I want autopilot to default to 7 MPH over so I'm stuck since there is one control.

Let's see what happens!

Reactions: oj-m3 and Bokonon
#13 ·
Reviving an ancient thread. I've had my TM3 for 2.5 months and I never noticed the speed limit sign change size! Who knows how how much longer it would have been had I not found this thread. Tesla definitely needs to make the size change bigger or animate it somehow so it's more noticeable. Also need a way to update it. A road on my daily commute changed from 35 to 45 mph 3 years ago but my TM3 thinks it's still 35 mph.

#14 ·
You should see the size of speed limit sign when you get over 100, it's MASSIVE!:eek:

I'm totally j/k.

Related though, I get off a highway (50mph limit), take a right and drive a mile or so, then another right onto a road for my work. That road is a 25mph limit but my car thinks it's 50. I REFUSE to not use TACC on this road so every morning I'm activating it on this road and then frantically scrolling the right scroll wheel down as fast as humanly possible as my car is busy launching itself down the street!

#17 ·
It appears that TomTom is the source of Tesla's maps, or at least that both Tesla and TomTom source them from the same place. The car incorrectly thinks that several roads in my neighborhood are blocked, and I noticed this weekend that TomTom thinks they're blocked, too. TomTom has a web interface for submitting map errors, but unfortunately, when I used it to try to correct these errors, it told me that something had gone wrong and that my changes had not been submitted.

I subsequently noticed the same errors on Apple Maps on my iPhone, so I submitted them to Apple. Maybe they'll get addressed and make their way back to TomTom and, hopefully, Tesla. I don't know if you can submit incorrect speed limits in Apple Maps, but if you have an iPhone or iPad, it might be worth a shot.

For what it's worth, despite the Tesla maps' having the look of Google Maps, Google Maps does not have these errors, so I suspect that Tesla is not using data from Google Maps in its navigation calculations.

#18 ·
Funny finding this thread today. I was quite sure I had seen the speed limit sign change size just this weekend, but just wasn't sure. First time I had seen it. Just let it pass, didn't think about why. And now we know.

#19 ·
So 6 weeks in and I'm still figuring it out apparently. I've had speed limit warning set to "display" since day 1 and never figured out how it worked until just now.

View attachment 6466

Notice I am less than 7 over the speed limit and the speed limit sign is small.

View attachment 6467

Now notice I am more than 7 over and it's big. It also animated as it increases/decreases in size.

View attachment 6468

I had seen the speed limit sign increase and decrease in size before but didn't figure it out until just now.
This week I changed it to the chime and relative to the speed limit and that works really well. My question is how does it know what the speed limit it on a particular road/street/etc? I assumed it was based off the map info (a road I take to work used to be 45mph and now is 55, but the dashpad still reports it at 45) but then when I am on my street (where my home is), it doesn't know that it is a 25mph zone.

Any other geeks have ideas?

#21 ·
I thought it was Google because of the use of traffic looked similar to theirs. Does TomTom source from Waze as well?
The map imagery that is shown to us on the screen is definitely from Google, but the map data may come from TomTom, or from TomTom's data supplier (though I suspect that TomTom is indeed the data supplier). I know Apple Maps uses TomTom data, as that is specified right on the Apple Maps screen.

I am not sure who the data supplier is for the traffic information. It certainly looks like a Google product, but I suppose it's possible that the data is coming from somewhere else. I sure wish it were Waze, as that would give us info about how much time using the HOV lane would save. As it stands now, I run both Tesla and Waze navigation in parallel, as even on my relatively short 27-mile (one way) commute, the HOV lane typically saves me 10 minutes each way.

#22 ·
I believe the front camera should eventually see the signs and update the speed limit the car shows. For now it's GPS based and has a lag time for sure.
Tesla should fix that lag with software. It generally knows the point at which the speed limit changes but it doesn't do anything about it until slightly after the fact. Since it knows when you are approaching a speed limit reduction with a slower speed limit, it should begin to slow a little before (not a little after) that point is crossed. Sometimes radar traps are set up right where speed limit reductions occur.

I think most map speed limit data originates with cities, counties, states and feds (depending upon ownership of the road) and the mapping companies submit requests to the many different jurisdictions to complete their map data. I think there should be a federal database that local jurisdictions are required to submit changes to make the process more efficient and allow mapping companies "one-stop shopping" for all their updates. This would likely ease the burden of requests on local jurisdictions. If any M3OC members work in their local Public Works/mapping departments or have any insight as to how the process currently works, I, for one, would be interested to learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.