Question Speed limit icon

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

rfpmoxie

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
On the upper part of the "car visualization" screen there is a speed limit sign that turns a bit larger/bolder when respecting the chosen buffer. It isn't very noticeable and isn't very useful. My thought is that either the numerals, outline, or both go from black to yellow (again, respecting the buffer) to red. This seems incredibly simple and will aid in many ways including safety and speeding tickets. Any thoughts?

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The gray on gray high performance HMI could be greatly improved. It is sad and has very little user customization. I just noticed today I had left the AC in manual but all it says is manually and gray underneath the fan blade. It would be nice if things change colors and maybe even if the fan rotating. Other minor things should be more intelligent such as when the ambient temperature is above 60°F there should be a acknowledge prompt to turn on the seat heaters. My dogs were definitely appreciate this. Since I added the difference between the speed limit and my current speed on the micro display I found it probably the most useful display. Also on my third-party metal display having the tire pressures in constant view really makes sense. It would be nice if I’m the main display animation of the vehicle it would show the tire pressures next to the tires. At minimum share the last valid tire reading from the previous trip. It would be nice to show the exterior temperature next to the tire pressure as this is very important. The range gauge should change colors based on the percentage available. Not just wait to under 50 miles in range to start changing colors. And from all the video we’ve been giving Elon when are we going to get tesla Street view. And potholes adetection. Also if our data will be eventually sent to Tesla or the insurance provider to establish rates based on our driving pattern it would be great if the car will display our current trip score for both safety and battery efficiency.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you like you can also touch that speed limit icon and it will adjust your current speed to the speed of the sign.

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have always thought that the speed limit warning display(little speed limit sign vs big speed limit sign is ridiculous). if you can't see both of them side-by-side, the difference is almost indiscernable. The solution seems obvious, use colors for the speed limit display. Green up to the speed limit, yellow when you're speeding but lower than your stated tolerance, and red when your speed is above your stated tolerance. Simple and very useful fix. Do it Elon!

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. Spacely

Enginerd

Country
Country
  1. I would bet that Elon is focused on the future where not much manual driving is done. When the car drives itself per your settings, any speed overages will be intentional and therefore of no interest to you.
  2. I'd also bet that for a joyful user experience, a nag which effectively highlights one's propensity to break the law would probably not be appreciated. In any car, if there was a flashing red light whenever I was above the speed limit, I'd be studying wiring diagrams and getting out my soldering iron to nip that in the bud.
“I like to build products which bring joy." -Elon Musk

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. Spacely

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree that flashing red would be intolerable. Don't think I mentioned flashing. Maybe green, yellow. red is not the best solution, but there's a better solution than speed limit sign and negligibly larger speed limit sign. Not enough differentiation, not good enough.

skygraff

re member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
By default, it had(s?) a chime but I'm really glad that there was (is) a toggle to turn that off and just have the visual cue; there's too many alert sounds in this car.

As for how subtle that sign enlargement is, I think it's just fine since, if you're keeping the speedo in your scan while manually driving, the slight change will catch your peripheral vision without blasting your brain or catching the eye of most passengers. If you need more overt alerts, turn the sound back on (assuming that toggle option still exists - not in my car).

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I believe there might be an NHTSA prohibition against using red for anything other than imminent danger, and yellow/amber for possible mechanical failure. Or at least that’s been the motor vehicle standard going way back. Blue/green is the standard for informational indicators.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I believe there might be an NHTSA prohibition against using red for anything other than imminent danger, and yellow/amber for possible mechanical failure. Or at least that’s been the motor vehicle standard going way back. Blue/green is the standard for informational indicators.
Does this mean those with red cars should expect updated visualizations showing a green car with blue brake lights? 😉

rfpmoxie

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for the responses, I, too, turned off the annoying chime the 2nd or 3rd day of ownership. If there is a prohibition on using red, green and yellow (amber) would be acceptable to me. Perhaps, it could start at green which turns to amber which then will become bold and flash after the buffer is exceeded.

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The best way, I think, to go slowly from subtle to annoying is to keep increasing the physical size of the speed limit sign as you go further from the speed limit until it becomes uncomfortably large. By the time you're going 25 mph over the limit, your passengers will know it, and so will drivers behind and alongside you.

Actually it would be very convenient if you didn't notice a school zone. You would be cruising along at 45 mph, and all of a sudden the speed limit sign would grow to HUGE, and then you would know something is wrong.

Reactions: Madmolecule

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I believe there might be an NHTSA prohibition against using red for anything other than imminent danger, and yellow/amber for possible mechanical failure. Or at least that’s been the motor vehicle standard going way back.
I’m in a rental Corolla right now. It displays the speed limit on the dash. If you exceed the speed limit, it gets outlined in red.

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m in a rental Corolla right now. It displays the speed limit on the dash. If you exceed the speed limit, it gets outlined in red.

From what I read, the rules have to do with warning lights - I don't know if it even applies to digital screens at all. Maybe Tesla is being extra careful by avoiding using red or yellow?

• Informative
Reactions: iChris93

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
From what I read, the rules have to do with warning lights - I don't know if it even applies to digital screens at all. Maybe Tesla is being extra careful by avoiding using red or yellow?
They use red and yellow for the proximity warning arcs.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.