Speed Display - Ford Explorer 2104 vs Tesla Model 3

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
An old topic, but I'm killing time waiting for M3 (Feb-April delivery).
I've driven Ford Explorers for quite a while, and thought I would try to compare speed indication on the Exp vs the M3.
Pulled some pics from Google and overlaid them, adjusting sizing to be comparable. I traced out the Tesla wheel, top-of-dash line and speed indication on flat panel.
Attached pic shows the M3 tracing overlay (in red) over the Exp dash pic. Note how low the 35-60mph range of speed indication is on the Exp speedo. And note how high the Exp top-of-dash line (blue) is vs that on the M3.
The actual distance from the center-of-road view to speed indication is about 10% farther on the M3. But...and I think it's a big but...the M3 indication is just below the top of dash. Peripheral view of the road is still in sight. In the Exp, the typical speed range (35-60mph) is well below the top of dash - reducing peripheral road view.
All this is a bit conjectural, and the pics aren't definitive comparisons, but I actually think looking at the M3 speed indication
likely maintains more road visibility and awareness than that on the Explorer.
Another topic, the Exp panel joints, eg rear doors, are similar to many M3 "panel misalignment" pics I've seen. That topic for another day....

tsla-vs-exp-jpg.5241

Country
Country
From various pics I've seen, the text sizes are relatively accurate. It just strikes me that although the M3 speed is off to the side, rather directly ahead, it seems actually to allow much better peripheral road awareness than the way-below-top-of-dash Ford speedo.

BTW - just saw my first M3 today in Las Vegas. Followed it and took a good look. Midnight silver, aero wheels (color match).
Beautiful!!! Makes any of the quibbles about instruments, door gap, etc seem totally irrelevant! So different seeing it than just pics...pics don't do it justice.
-no, no VIN...

Country
Country
I’m surprised that a Ford from 87 years in the future looks so much like one from a few years ago. :)

After a couple weeks with my 3, I think the offset displays are an improvement over a traditional binnacle. Less visual blockage of the road directly in front of you and, for driving at night, the offset screen throws less light into my eyes than a binnacle. It's less distracting and allows my eyes to adjust more completely to the darkness ahead.

IMO, the important test is if you can still notice visual alerts from the center screen. As a heavy duty autopilot user, my most frequent visual warning is the "jiggle the steering wheel" warning, that is, do you notice the flashing display before you get the audible warning? Don't have enough time with the car yet to offer a definitive statement, but after about 450 miles, I find it pretty easy to notice the visual warning and have gotten only one audible warning so far. At least as easy to notice as with our S, if not easier.

So yes, in addition to being thrilled beyond belief with the 3, the center screen displays work very well.