Speed Assist

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there a way to set it as a realtive speed ?
For example on a 45 mph road not to go more then 10% faster?

Jakesthree

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I wonder if there is a legal reason for requiring the driver to initiate a change in set speed. If the car was to change speed unexpectedly could there be the possibility of a lawsuit in the case of a collision?

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
maybe but I doubt it the reason is the car i just traded in would alert me at 10% but maybe its different for auto pilot? i think its a simple programming fix.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there a way to set it as a realtive speed ?
For example on a 45 mph road not to go more then 10% faster?
No way to set it as %, it's just a fixed number above. Most people have a "comfort zone" of 5 or 10 above the limit and with the new scroll wheel speed adjustment it's easy enough to change it as needed.

who goes 0 above the speed limit on the highway?
Well, from living in a place that doubles in population with snowbirds during winter, I'm going with "Old People"!:D

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
which version is that ? i'm on 2018.10.5 342f4e3 I thought I had the newest one ill try it out tomorrow.

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
who goes 0 above the speed limit on the highway?
So what are you going to do when full autonomous becomes a thing, and your car decides that it needs to travel at some rate slower than you’d like over the majority of your trip in order to avoid creating/adding to congestion along your route?

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
that's a loaded question it really depends on how many cars are autonomous at the time ...right now I would get trampled believe it or not i tend to go the speed limit or 5 mph over on the highway and I would guess 80% of the cars pass me... :) also if the majority of cars were autonomous wouldn't the majority of speed limits go away and it would base it on road conditions...? again a loaded question

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
that's a loaded question it really depends on how many cars are autonomous at the time ...right now I would get trampled believe it or not i tend to go the speed limit or 5 mph over on the highway and I would guess 80% of the cars pass me... :) also if the majority of cars were autonomous wouldn't the majority of speed limits go away and it would base it on road conditions...? again a loaded question
I totally agree. Before ALL cars are fully autonomous there will always be people driving faster than the limit. Once all cars are fully autonomous then there is no need for any speed limits, stop lights, stop signs, yield signs or any type of traffic control device. At that point all cars will be talking to one another and could go through any intersection at 100MPH and inches apart from cross traffic. I'll be long dead by then but it sure does sound like a fun future!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Once all cars are fully autonomous then there is no need for any speed limits, stop lights, stop signs, yield signs or any type of traffic control device.
You'll never see things go that far, at least not in your lifetime.

First, we have a history of grandfathering-in old car tech. Even though that 1908 Ford Model T doesn't meet any modern safety or emissions regulations, you're still allowed to drive one on today's roads.

Second, some people enjoy driving too much to give up the right. Yes, even when computers are demonstrably better, we'll still permit self-driving. The good news is, these people should NOT be the ones driving around distracted on their cell phones (or at least, they'll have the option to tell the car to take over when there's a text message to write). So you'll still want all of the same old rules and signs available for them.

But there's a third reason too. Many of those signs and rules help protect against other kinds of accidents. You'll still have signs & lights in cities and towns because cars interact with bikes and pedestrians. Self-driving cars will still keep distance between each other - you never know when the car in front will hit something to make it slow quickly, or get a blown tire, or slow down quickly because of an accident it spotted before your car notices it.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
@relidtm , @atebit , may I please remind both of you that we privilege candid yet civil exchanges here on this forum which is what makes it so special.
The reality is, as @garsh suggested, we’re probably a long way from any of this mattering at all.

In the meantime and for many years, I want to believe that drivers will retain the ability to speed or not to speed. I hope that with the advent of increasingly powerful driver-assist technologies, people will learn to become also increasingly respectful of one another on the road, not just on M3OC! ;)

Love T≡SLA and yet, love driving, whichever way you like as long as it does not infringe on the comfort & safety of others...

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I totally agree. Before ALL cars are fully autonomous there will always be people driving faster than the limit. Once all cars are fully autonomous then there is no need for any speed limits, stop lights, stop signs, yield signs or any type of traffic control device. At that point all cars will be talking to one another and could go through any intersection at 100MPH and inches apart from cross traffic. I'll be long dead by then but it sure does sound like a fun future!
Yes but the roads only have so much bandwidth, when there’s lots of traffic things will still likely have to slow down a bit to accommodate and/avoid creating more congestion. But I agree that with full autonomous the normal traffic controls will be obsolete. But I think they’ll be replaced by other “controls” that aren’t under the occupants control...unless perhaps you’re willing to pay for “expedited routing”.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I suspect it is because it uses GPS/map data for the speed limit signs and they are not all that reliable. There are decent sized stretches by me that have the wrong speed limit showing, either under or over by 5mph as the limit shifts on the interstate around cities. Once they have the camera's reliably reading speed limit signs cross referenced with GPS and map data, it may be reliable enough to have them automatically adjust to the current limit.
Try an entire island ;-) On the Big Island of Hawaii here, there is not a single stretch of road anywhere where a Model 3 can get a speed limit value ;-(
I sure hope V. 9 will introduce reading speed limit signs from the cameras instead of relying on GPS data -- fellow Tesla drivers on the island with a model X or S have no problem acquiring speed limits on the same roads.