Speculation: The Standard 3 "roof" will also be glass

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Keep in mind this is purely my speculation. However, it is in part based on quotes I've seen from retail channel employees as well as one conversation I had with a former Tesla employee.

My speculation is that the standard roof, that has yet to officially be unveiled/announced, will actually be the same glass roof already in place on the 3, with at most some additional insulating material and headliner in place on the interior. From the exterior, the materials will be the same as early production.

Also, for clarification, when I say "roof", I am referring to the section of roof above the driver and front seat passenger, not the rear glass behind the B pillar.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Based on what they did with the Model S (getting rid of the metal roof in favour of basic glass) I think this is what they're going to do with Model 3 as well. Metal roofs are not something Tesla want's to do anymore.

Despite the lack of calling it out specifically in the FAQ and specs I think it's just a marketing move by Tesla to justify the premium options nature they're building.