Spare tire without TPMS

mnsweeps

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought a full size OEM (Michelin MMX) spare tire with OEM wheels but has not TPMS....If I need to use spare for a flat sometime in the future, do I need the TPMS at all? I understand I would have a warning on the display but aside from that I can drive a few hundred miles without any issues, right?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Correct. The car will continue to work just fine.

New cars are required to have TPMS. But most states do not require a functioning TPMS to pass safety inspections, so it's legal to drive without it working. But I only really know PA law - check the laws in your own state in case that differs.

I bought a full size OEM (Michelin MMX) spare tire with OEM wheels but has not TPMS....If I need to use spare for a flat sometime in the future, do I need the TPMS at all? I understand I would have a warning on the display but aside from that I can drive a few hundred miles without any issues, right?

mnsweeps

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks Garsh. Would the car even recognize the spare tire missing TPMS? It has already 'learned' the other 3 TPMS and continue to check them and report everything is okay?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks Garsh. Would the car even recognize the spare tire missing TPMS? It has already 'learned' the other 3 TPMS and continue to check them and report everything is okay?
You'll end up getting some kind of warning message about the one tire with no TPMS sensor. The other 3 tires will still report air pressure to the car.