SpaceX Starship Thread

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm dumbfounded that the most advanced rocket by far is being built as if we were in an episode of Junkyard Wars (aka Scrapheap Challenge in the UK).

But here we are, adding some canards to the nose section.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I find it crazy they're building this massive thing out in the open instead of a cleanroom. I just have this image in my head that spaceships are delicate things and the engineering involved demands controlled environments. I hate to say it but it smacks me of another boiler plate type of thing which I realize it is to some degree. Maybe the final orbital version will be built in different circumstances.

Still can't wait to see this thing fly though

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I love how they’re throwing this thing together mostly in the last week before Elon’s big presentation. Wonder if they’ll just take it apart again afterwards to finish it properly. Sounds like this MK1 version is going to be limited to 30km straight up and down, so not orbital class. Engine and aero fin test bed for the most part.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What I believe that you are seeing is design where cost is a consideration. Unlike the way NASA and it's contractors do to day where "spend as much as possible" seems to be part of the game.

You've got a vehicle that's going a few hundred feet in the air. Does it really need clean room?
Even the one in low orbit isn't that critical.

Remember, with all the boosters now, they are reused and they get really dirty when the fire and fly. Used rockets look pretty crappy, but fly well. Does a new one have to look that good?

Elon re-writes rules.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm dumbfounded that the most advanced rocket by far is being built as if we were in an episode of Junkyard Wars (aka Scrapheap Challenge in the UK).

But here we are, adding some canards to the nose section.

As insane as Elon is, the stuff he’s doing at Tesla and SpaceX are awe inspiring. I STILL get goosebumps when I see a falcon 9 rocket land.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just watching this video that Elon RTd... Interesting to me is that they have four 100kWh Tesla packs inside, running Model 3 motors running the hydraulic pumps.
This thing is clearly slapped together. Which is what I love about it. Just figure a way to get something done and lean on what you already have. You can iterate later.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just watching this video that Elon RTd... Interesting to me is that they have four 100kWh Tesla packs inside, running Model 3 motors running the hydraulic pumps.
This thing is clearly slapped together. Which is what I love about it. Just figure a way to get something done and lean on what you already have. You can iterate later.

I like how the cameraman gets a wandering eye when they start talking about the header tanks. :) Focus!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It sounds like SpaceX plans to make a version of Starship specifically designed for launching payloads. But I don't understand these concept renderings. Wouldn't it make more sense to design it so that the entire nose opens up? Then you just need to give the payload a little push in the axial direction.

With this concept of a "side door", you now have to additionally impart some sideways momentum, and have to make sure the payload clears that "bottom" portion of the nose that doesn't retract. That seems so much more prone to having issues.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It sounds like SpaceX plans to make a version of Starship specifically designed for launching payloads. But I don't understand these concept renderings. Wouldn't it make more sense to design it so that the entire nose opens up? Then you just need to give the payload a little push in the axial direction.

With this concept of a "side door", you now have to additionally impart some sideways momentum, and have to make sure the payload clears that "bottom" portion of the nose that doesn't retract. That seems so much more prone to having issues.

File a bug report.