SpaceX space :-)

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I'm really excited about this. I hope they get it into orbit. A successful mission would mean a great deal to SpaceX. I don't really think it will hurt them much in the long run if it blows up either. Still, it will be a tremendous show regardless of the outcome!

Dan

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I'm really excited about this. I hope they get it into orbit. A successful mission would mean a great deal to SpaceX. I don't really think it will hurt them much in the long run if it blows up either. Still, it will be a tremendous show regardless of the outcome!

Dan
And here are some live comments from the Man himself... ;)

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On the video at 8:36 on the flight clock, they announce, "We've lost the center core."
And after that there are images of the drone ship in what appears to be a pitching sea with no booster on it.
Also, someone got three frames of video of the retro burn that appeared to be off to the side of the ship.
One monitor flashes brightly and quickly (too quick for a burn) at one point.

Not sure why the secrecy. My guess is "Let's have no bad news today. Keep it positive and don't focus on the little part that failed."
But it was kinda obvious they squelched it and weren't comfortable sitting up there pretending for very long. Quite awkward.

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Possibly, @John , yet you know the classic saying ‘two out of three ain’t bad’ and overall up to now, against Elon’s own 50/50 odds of success, the test is right up there! :cool::cool:

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Last edited:

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Kind of ironic that the two Falcon 9 boosters that we know landed safely were both reused rockets from previous missions. The center core was the only new one.

Even if they lost it, what a tremendously successful day for the entire SpaceX family. So happy for them!
Dan

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Kind of ironic that the two Falcon 9 boosters that we know landed safely were both reused rockets from previous missions. The center core was the only new one.

Even if they lost it, what a tremendously successful day for the entire SpaceX family. So happy for them!
Dan
Dan, seems like the jury is still out on the center core and in any case, to your point, the test is a formidable success.

Boy, can y’all believe this is the same Elon Musk who is making us wait for 2 to 3 years for a car... And now, pretty soon we’ll want a ticket to Mars!! :)

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Dan, seems like the jury is still out on the center core and in any case, to your point, the test is a formidable success.

Boy, can y’all believe this is the same Elon Musk who is making us wait for 2 to 3 years for a car... And now, pretty soon we’ll want a ticket to Mars!! :)
Delivery center opening on Mars...2020!

Dan

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On the video at 8:36 on the flight clock, they announce, "We've lost the center core."
And after that there are images of the drone ship in what appears to be a pitching sea with no booster on it..
At T+4:16, it sounds like mission control says "center core defect on shutdown".

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
SpaceX has confirmed the loss of the center core due to only 1/3 required engines firing. The core crashed into the Atlantic Ocean at 300 mph. Note that the center core is different and specially made for Falcon Heavy and not like the two outside cores. Sad that the third rocket didn't make it home, but in no way does this diminish SpaceX's amazing success today.

I'm still getting goosebumps from watching the twin Falcons land on LZ1 and 2! :hearteyes:

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
SpaceX has confirmed the loss of the center core due to only 1/3 required engines firing. The core crashed into the Atlantic Ocean at 300 mph. Note that the center core is different and specially made for Falcon Heavy and not like the two outside cores. Sad that the third rocket didn't make it home, but in no way does this diminish SpaceX's amazing success today.

I'm still getting goosebumps from watching the twin Falcons land on LZ1 and 2! :hearteyes:
Apparently not enough remaining propellant to fire the outer two engines. Took out two of the engines on the drone ship too. In Elon's words, "It sounds like really fun footage. We'll be sure to release it if the cameras didn't blow up." Typical Elon... gotta love it.

Dan