SpaceX space :-)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ll be on a work trip that gets back home to Florida on the red eye first thing in the morning on the 7th. Would have been awesome to take delivery of the Model 3 and immediately drive up for the launch!!
There's a decent chance that the launch gets postponed, so don't give up on that idea just yet. :)

@gravityrydr

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My plan is to drive down to see the first Falcon Heavy possible after I take delivery of my car. I had hoped it would be the maiden flight but it's certain that won't happen. Maybe the 2nd.

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, looks like I'll be putting my "Closest" package tickets up for sale. Will try to hit the the Tuesday Falcon 9 launch this week.

Let me know if anyone is interested (wanted to give the forum first crack) otherwise I'm going to get them up on eBay this week probably. Going to be a bit of a pain selling these while on vacation.

@gravityrydr

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just as well I wasn't going to this launch. I now have to go to sunny Philadelphia on business next week.Not only will I likely be in meetings when the launch happens but I'll be watching the Superbowl at a hotel bar Sunday. On the plus side, I'm rooting for the Eagles so I'll be in friendly territory.

Last edited:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I just called SpaceX and the very knowledgeable person on the phone says that the Falcon Heavy launch will definitely take place on time with no delay because the weather will be perfect and Elon hasn't planned for any RUD event. In fact, her computer shows that invites will be going out this week for those that have reserved for the SpaceX tourism flights. Invites for non-Tesla owners will be going out next week.:rocket::fireworks:

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Too bad there's no landing Tuesday. Expendable launch.
Aww, I didn't know that. Not that I have much choice though with the plans as they are. Gotta make due. :p Got our tickets for the launch viewing tomorrow though. Missed out on getting some for my in-laws for some reason. I tried to break up the order to get 2 parking passes, and it kept saying there was a payment problem with the second order, so tickets sold out on me after trying that a few times over the next few hours. Sounds like they weren't that into going though, so oh well.

Should still be pretty cool, I believe it said the outdoor viewing area is less than 4 miles from the launch pad, so closer than the heavy launch is allowing. I've never seen a live launch either, so I'm sure it will be fun.

Sounds like good news for the heavy launch then if they plan to launch almost no matter what. We got back to out rooms too late tonight for me to confirm if I got the parking placards they were fed-exing to the hotel supposedly for the heavy launch. That is going to be the pain in the but for transferring tickets, getting these physical placards off to someone. Will have to check again tomorrow.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Today's Falcon 9 launch succeeded at its primary objective - it successfully placed a satellite in the correct orbit.

But as you know, most Falcon 9 launches have a secondary objective. This rocket was meant to test some new high-thrust landing technique, then crash into the ocean. SpaceX failed to crash their rocket. It's just floating there, perfectly intact, in the ocean.

ULA has never failed to crash a rocket, FYI.

Last edited:

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I guess the nice thing is that now that can "waste" the older booster and still experiment with them.
Great planning. Teslarati had the thought that SpaceX didn't want to risk breaking the drone ship because they know they need it for the Heavy launch next week.
But the whole concept of not using drone ships at all and STILL recovering the booster is just amazing.

Sarah

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
So I was really surprised not to see a thread on this yet, but how many people are going to the Falcon Heavy event, or preordered tickets?

I'm really bummed right now, and still trying to decide what to do. I'm in Florida this week, and really wanted to see the Falcon Heavy Launch, so preordered tickets before the targeted date was set. Desperately hoping (irrationally as it may have been) that the launch might slip into this next week. Unfortunately with the targeted date set on February 6th now, it would require me to extend my trip 5 days, and I don't know if that is going to fly with the fam.

I talked myself into it as the closer package was only $15 more than a daily admission (at the time, appears to have gone down $10 in the last few days), and it came with a 2 day admission, so figured I was only out a little cash if I missed it and could use the ticket part whenever. Then talked myself into the Closest package.

Anyway end of the story, I've got 6 Closest Package tickets and 2 parking passes that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with yet. I may get to ebaying pretty soon, or maybe offer them up to any interested forum members first. Still deciding.

So who actually gets to go? I saw it looked like Trevor might have changed his mind from not going earlier in the week.

Hello. My name is Sarah and I've recently joined this Forum. We are not yet Tesla owners but are hoping to be in 2020 (I know it's a way always but it's our bucket list top item and we are saving our pennies). I would love to take my daughter to the rocket launch next week to inspire further her developing interest in math and science. If you still have the tickets available (we can afford to pay a little extra if that helps), we would love to purchase them. Please let me know. Thank you!!!

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello. My name is Sarah and I've recently joined this Forum. We are not yet Tesla owners but are hoping to be in 2020 (I know it's a way always but it's our bucket list top item and we are saving our pennies). I would love to take my daughter to the rocket launch next week to inspire further her developing interest in math and science. If you still have the tickets available (we can afford to pay a little extra if that helps), we would love to purchase them. Please let me know. Thank you!!!
Sorry, Sarah, I probably should have updated the thread. I sold them all off on ebay Wednesday of this week since it didn't appear anyone on here was really interested. We will just have to reserve ourselves to catching one of those future launches. Would have been cool to see this one though. Although, if you are in the area I guess the locals know other good viewing spots to see launches from that don't need tickets, although not as close as at the center, if that is even an option. I didn't get into researching where those spots are though.

As a heads up, it looks like the best way to be notified for those launch sales is to follow the Kennedy Space Center twitter account. That is how I found out about the heavy tickets. Also, for more standard launches like the Falcon 9 launch last week, I guess sometimes viewing tickets don't go on sale until the day before a lot of the time.

Sorry about that, hope you guys get to see a launch sometime in the future.

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, I should probably update the thread even though it isn't really about the Heavy Launch.

As some of you probably saw, the Tuesday Falcon 9 launch was postponed a couple hours before the launch window. Wind was a bit high and they also decided to swap out some sensor from what I read. And since this was a family trip, I only had the one day as a shot to see the launch (couldn't let the kids down with Disney on the itinerary for the next day). Soooo, we were kind of luckyish, we were still waiting in line for the bus when the launch was scrubbed so our options were come back tomorrow (our tickets were still good for that), or use the value in the gift shop. So we ended up with $210 worth of gift shop stuff. LOL. Probably better than those that had been on the bus (which I estimate was about half the ticket holders). The agreement says those tickets are considered used in full, even if they didn't make it to the site and get their T-shirt souvenir yada-yada-yada. Guest relations said they would have to buy another viewing ticket for the next day if they wanted to come back and see the launch. Only problem with that was as far as I saw, they never did get tickets listed to sell for those people to be able to get them, so that is kind of an odd policy, cancel the ticket and not provide the new ones they say you need? I'm guessing it was a pretty uncrowded viewing day.

So basically I struck out twice on this trip. Still yet to see a launch in person.

So back to the Falcon Heavy launch, since I didn't get any interest on here, I put my tickets up on eBay for the price I paid. Ate the cost of the Auction, PayPal fees, and shipping of the parking placards required to get to the center on the day. Still better than not getting any of that money back and having the tickets go to waste. At least someone will enjoy them. So for taking that chance, not knowing the date on the Heavy launch, I'm out about $125, plus scrambling a little during vacation to sell them and ship the parking stuff.

So I'm a little sad about that. Still had a pretty good vacation overall though.

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tomorrow’s the big day already. Not sure if I’ll be able to catch the live stream at work or not, but excited to see how it goes.