Sometimes Frunk opening takes 2 phone-clicks to open

mptpro

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
About 25% of the time, it takes clicks on the Tesla app to open the Frunk. Most of the time it take just one click.

I click the "open Frunk" icon on the Tesla app (android) and I can hear the Frunk "unclock" but the Frunk won't open. I click the button on the app a 2nd time and then it's unlocked and I can pull the Frunk open.

Any ideas what's going on?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is the car locked when the frunk won’t open? Even if it “pops”, it can’t be opened if the doors are locked.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had the same issue with often needed multiple open commands to actually get the frunk pop. I've definitely noticed myself locking the frunk a couple of times after giving it the open command (by then locking the doors) where it's popped but can't be opened.

It feels a bit hit or miss if I'll only need to issue one command. I think my experience encompasses both when the car is locked or unlocked.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems like the Frunk has always been an issue with Tesla, I'm baffled that they don't have a permanent fix for this yet. Makes me nervous to put something important or perishable in their only to have it fail and be stuck in their for weeks.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It seems to me that the frunk release(which is built with redundancy) is time sensitive. If I don't open the frunk almost immediately after release, it seems that the secondary latch re-engages. Could it be that this is intentional in case you release, forget, and drive away?

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had this happen to me twice (I use my trunk all the time as my cleaning supplies are there). From what I've noticed, it always works from inside the car but for some reason when the car is locked it can take two clicks on the app to get it open.

mptpro

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It seems to me that the frunk release(which is built with redundancy) is time sensitive. If I don't open the frunk almost immediately after release, it seems that the secondary latch re-engages. Could it be that this is intentional in case you release, forget, and drive away?
I don't this is my issue, specifically.

Though I've only had the car for 3 weeks I open the front at least four to five times every day as that's where I put my laptop bag so I've carefully watched this procedure.

Everytime I unlock the frunk the car is already locked because I'm coming from my office or the store or from home. sometimes one click will open it and sometimes it takes a second click on the phone.

by the way the seems to be a known issue as I started a thread on Reddit and there is a number of people commenting with the same problem

mptpro

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I went to Mission Veijo Tesla store and spoke to them about this issue. We tried it on a M3 on floor room, and after a few tries we were able to reproduce the problem. It didn't matter whether the car was already locked, or not. It would sometime take one click, and sometimes two, with both the car being locked and sometimes not.