Some M3 questions and observations (New to Tesla)

TDLI

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got our car about 2 weeks ago and only has about 200 miles now. Couple of questions below and would appreciate some help and feedback:

Powering off – screen will turn off but back on again after door is opened? Is this a UX flaw?

Random headlight flickers - Sometimes when I open the driver door (after car parked over night), front lights will flicker for a second but sometimes does not. It has also done this few other occasions when we exited the car. Anyone else encountering this?

Is there anyway to unlock the charging cable (while plugged in) from the screen? Currently I am only able to unlock from my phone. (I am NOT referring to “opening” the charger port)

There is a very minor clicking noise around charging port area when car is parked, normal?

When car is unlocking and opening rear driver side door, there is a noticeable clunking noise coming from underneath the car. I read somewhere that's normal because that's where the car has it's hardware that connects to our phones/key and it is recognizing our phone to allow for entry?

Slacker account - just to confirm that I need to be a paid slacker member in order to login in the M3?

This is probably a no, but is it possible to move the steering wheel further towards the front of the car to allow for more leg room?

Thanks all.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got our car about 2 weeks ago and only has about 200 miles now. Couple of questions below and would appreciate some help and feedback:

Powering off – screen will turn off but back on again after door is opened? Is this a UX flaw?

Random headlight flickers - Sometimes when I open the driver door (after car parked over night), front lights will flicker for a second but sometimes does not. It has also done this few other occasions when we exited the car. Anyone else encountering this?

Is there anyway to unlock the charging cable (while plugged in) from the screen? Currently I am only able to unlock from my phone. (I am NOT referring to “opening” the charger port)

There is a very minor clicking noise around charging port area when car is parked, normal?

When car is unlocking and opening rear driver side door, there is a noticeable clunking noise coming from underneath the car. I read somewhere that's normal because that's where the car has it's hardware that connects to our phones/key and it is recognizing our phone to allow for entry?

Slacker account - just to confirm that I need to be a paid slacker member in order to login in the M3?

This is probably a no, but is it possible to move the steering wheel further towards the front of the car to allow for more leg room?

Thanks all.
Welcome and congrats!

Here are some answers from my experiences...

Sometimes my screen is black for a second before fully launching. This is recent for me with one of the last few updates.

No headlight flickers here.

Clicking and even clunking :) noises seem to be perfectly normal.

Slacker use with the car is free!

The steering wheel is adjustable. You can go as far as it let’s you!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country

I haven't noticed this but I don't think I would since the headlights are not shining on anything where I park.

If you have your phone on, and it is registered as a key, and the Bluetooth is active, then the charge cable can be unlocked simply by pressing on the charge cable button.

Very normal. I think if I'm working around the parked car, and I have my phone on me, I've noticed it happens every few minutes. I assume it is from my phone going in/out of Bluetooth range.

Normal. My impression is the Model 3 has some very solid, heavy duty power relays.

Before I took delivery I was under the impression I would not have music when the car was delivered unless I brought a memory stick with music on it or signed up for a music service. So it was a very pleasant surprise to find not only does it come with free Internet music but that the stereo sounds awesome!

The steering wheel moves through quite a large range. Bring up the steering wheel menu and you can control it with the thumbwheels on the steering wheel. But, in my experience with all cars with this feature, I can only get more legroom by moving the seat back. And this means I will be moving the steering wheel back also, not forward. Maybe you are not aware that the steering wheel can also be adjusted up/down?

Thanks all.
Enjoy what is, IMHO, the best car in the world, at least in so many ways that matter to me.

Country
Country
First post after receiving my midnight silver model 3 'Smokey' a few days ago!

Only one issue so far.

My facial muscles are hurting....seriously!!

....cause I cant stop smiling!!!

This car exceeds my expectations..and I keep finding cool stuff I had no idea it had.

My teenage daughter loves to play.. Stump the audio streaming!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
First post after receiving my midnight silver model 3 'Smokey' a few days ago!

Only one issue so far.

My facial muscles are hurting....seriously!!

....cause I cant stop smiling!!!

This car exceeds my expectations..and I keep finding cool stuff I had no idea it had.

My teenage daughter loves to play.. Stump the audio streaming!
How successful is your daughter at stumping the streaming audio? I've noticed sometimes it plays a song off the album of the same name as the song I wanted to play. But pretty impressive how much it "knows".

NRG4All

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Welcome and congrats!

Here are some answers from my experiences...

Sometimes my screen is black for a second before fully launching. This is recent for me with one of the last few updates.

No headlight flickers here.

Clicking and even clunking :) noises seem to be perfectly normal.

Slacker use with the car is free!

The steering wheel is adjustable. You can go as far as it let’s you!
Just yesterday my M3 was parked in the garage after driving it to town and back and started making weird sounds. There was a noticeable clunk from the rear which I assume is some relay. Then there was a hissing, squealing noice from the right front area of the car. I assumed that all of this was normal as the car was cooling down from being used. However, it persisted for an hour before I started investigating. I thought that it may have been because of me working in the garage with my iphone on my hip. I took the phone into the house. No change. I then turned off bluetooth on mine and my wife's iphones. No change. I then plugged the car into our L2 charger. All unusual noises stopped. When the charging was finished the noises started up again.

We then drove the car for about 60 miles to go out to dinner with friends. When we came back for the night, all unusual noises stopped and I hadn't put the car on the charger. It seems okay today.

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does you charge port door open when you press on it? (Car needs to be unlocked or see your phone nearby.) If not, might be leading towards a bad charge port- which has happened to several of us.

I have a bad charge port and the small clicks was the door trying to close itself even though it’s closed. It also will not open when pressed.

Country
Country
How successful is your daughter at stumping the streaming audio? I've noticed sometimes it plays a song off the album of the same name as the song I wanted to play. But pretty impressive how much it "knows".
Sbe stumped it on a Justin Bieber song...falala...apparently its a song...but its impressive how many songs are available