Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Absolutely we do. If I want to leave the charging cable and adaptors in the vehicle, then would you buy a Tesla cable and 1772 adapter or a reputable though different brand.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I could have any that I wanted, my choice would be the Wall Connector (formerly the High Powered Wall Charger or HPWC). It now comes in gloss black as well as the original silver-ish.
https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/category/charging.html

But this can be overkill for anyone that doesn’t drive to the point of needing a full strength of charge super quick. That’s really the biggest benefit to the Wall Connector, the ability to use a 100amp circuit breaker and deliver the most juice the fastest to our cars. It can also smartly split a charge if you have two of them, and two cars that are charging simultaneously.

My wife and I have two Tesla vehicles, a Model 3 for me and a Model S for her. We had a 50amp breaker installed and cable ran to our garage for a 240 plug as we don’t really need more than that though I do love the look of the Wall Connector and really want one! We instead got a Corded Mobile Connector which allows for a little more juice to flow than the new Mobile Connector shipping with cars. I was able to source one on eBay for less than the cost on Tesla’s website.
https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x-corded-mobile-connector.html

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We are installing a Solar Edge Inverter in Salida, Colorado for a new home with solar panels. The inverter is grid tied, 240V, level 2 with a J1772 plug. BTW, Tesla/Solarcity is not available here for the panels.

The PDF for the unit is below.
https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/single_phase_inverter_integrated_ev_charger_na.pdf

Question, if you did not want to use the mobile cable, what charging cable would you purchase?

Thanks in advance,
Lydia, co-owner
if the inverter has the connected cable with the J1772, you would just need to add the adaptor. If you want to leave the kit one in the trunk, you can get just the J1772 to Tesla adaptor from Tesla. If you were thinking there was an option to have a complete Tesla cable wired to your inverter, I don't think there is an option for that.

96s46p

Country
Country
The inverter comes with a 25ft j1772 cable so you could buy another tesla j1772 adapter if you think you need it (cheaper on eBay) but really it is not much hassle to take the small adapter on and off since it doesn't involve packing/unpacking a cable. Plus it depends on how often you expect to use j1772 chargers away from home.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. The charging unit is the solar inverter.

So I will need a charging cable and a J 1772 adapter. Would you buy directly from Tesla or from somewhere else? If from another vendor, who would be best?

Thanks, Lydia

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. The charging unit is the solar inverter.

So I will need a charging cable and a J 1772 adapter. Would you buy directly from Tesla or from somewhere else? If from another vendor, who would be best?

Thanks, Lydia
Why do you need another cable if the inverter has a 25’ cable?

96s46p

Country
Country
Oh, cable is sold separately? Well it still may be the only compatible cable. Does it say what the connector on the inverter is? It is not priced too badly anyway.

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/SOLAREDGE-Charging-Compatible-Inverters-Inverter/dp/B07GQC5XDN
Amazon forum plugin is broken

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi, thanks for sending the SolarEdge Amazon info, funny it is not on the Solar Edge Page. The PDF shows a picture with the cable but fine print say cable sold separately.

Will likely get it, but as only the roof panels are installed, the inverter gets installed in about a month, then will test with the UMC first. Will post again when I have more info.