Software v10.2 2019.40.50.1 7fefc12d805a (12/24/2019). The Christmas Eve Update

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Did you install?

• Total voters

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Yesterday, a 3.5 hour freeway trip in moderate rain and fog.

Ping-ponging is bad as well as unstable on curves.

Many times I had to bias the pressure on the steering wheel to calm it down.

Had a few aborted lane changes.

Had a few slow downs because of locking onto slower traffic to my right.

.........and voice commands did not understand "bug report" until a scroll wheel reset was done.

Only real improvement to the driving experience with this update IMO: I am able to tell the wipers exactly what I want them to do as the auto setting can't deal with rain and a monochromatic white sky.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Just imagine having to figure out how they translated the commands in french...I barely use them because I don't know them, not that I didn't try.
I just might end up switching language to english, but it's just against my principles :rolleyes:
I find wondering what the key or trick words needed to make Internet searches successful in english a challenge.

I can only imagine what two layers of possible losses in translation does to add to the fun.

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Favorites option is missing from my Tesla phone app (in my car). I was postulating at reasons for why that is the case. Obviously the car needs to get your favorites list in some manner.
Ah ok. Well, still, the Tesla app on your phone still has nothing to do with it :)

This is a just a feature of the "phone interface" standard over bluetooth. The phone can optionally transfer your phone's contacts and favorites lists to the car. It works in most cars with bluetooth phone capability for the past ~10+ years (even in my old 2007 acura).

ibgeek

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's not too surprising that AP works well on California roads in California weather. Tesla needs to sample a LOT more scenarios in the North East, and train that NN to deal with them better. All the hills, bridges, and overhead signs - not to mention our rainy weather - just seem to confuse the hell out of it. I had it brake again this morning on my commute for absolutely no good reason - other than the fact that I was approaching an overhead sign. In the dark. In the rain.

View attachment 31477
(also, WTF Google, did you forget to tighten down the camera to the top of the car, or do you now have motorcycles taking these street view images?)

I get what your saying, but wanted to point out that a large part of my trip was in this:

1577734002425-png.31481

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
It's kind of an issue. I find myself having to manually manage this almost every time when someone is trying to pass me.
I completed another 3.5 hour freeway trip today (2nd one in two days with V10.x and using NOA).

With only two lanes, I prefer to drive in the right lane and only use the left lane for passing.

This latest software iteration ALWAYS wants me to move to the left lane when approaching any interchange, regardless of the amount of traffic in the area.

In busy areas, it would make sense to preemptively move into the left lane if there is traffic merging ahead.....but even at lonely middle-of-nowhere interchanges where there is NO other traffic, this software wants to shift to the left under all conditions.

In other words, it is shifting to the left lane with no context of when that would be logical to do, it is simply defaulting to do that at every interchange.

Often, I have to de-select NOA for that 30 second period so it stops nagging me to change lanes.

----------------------------------

Ping-ponging: is really bad when the car is approaching an exit split-off or entrance merge.

Once the lane dimensions widen, the car starts to hunt (typical for past 19 months).

However, upon re-acquiring the nominal lane dimension after the exit split/entrance merge, the "race to the lane center" causes such an oscillation that I am continually de-coupling from NOA to maintain a smooth, lane centered driving pattern.

The NOA oscillations are precluding passenger comfort in any of these exit/merge areas.

-------------------------------------

Context for "firm" NOA lane changes that are also recent with 10.x: in heavy Toronto traffic, they make total sense.

NOA lane shifting is as firm as I would do manually whilst dealing with a constant parade of vehicles in the lane I wish to enter.

However, in light or nil traffic, there is NO need for these "firm" NOA lane changes.

With heavy rain and fog just after sunset, the autopilot system did the whole "loud alarm, red steering wheel, giving control back to the driver" thing three times (over a 20 minute period) this afternoon.

I've never had it happen with this amount of repeats prior to V10.x.

TL;DR: too much ping-ponging, no context for firm lane changes, no context for moving to the left lane, autopilot too quick to give up in marginal weather compared to V9.x

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Found another bug.

After having shut down my car, I was trying to see if it was still unable to correctly read a received RCS text message (no, still buggy). During that time, the Navigation voice decided to tell me my next upcoming turn, even though I've had the navigation voice turned off since day one. But it seemed to turn itself back off after it was done with trying to read my text message.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
on the drive home last night (just prior to downloading & installing 40.50.5) I had a weird/unexpected NoA issue.
I have NoA set to require the driver use the turn signal to confirm a suggested lane change.
Right where 2 freeways merge together, I was in the 2nd of 4 lanes (the left of the two coming from the freeway I had been on with the remaining to left lanes the freeway I was merging onto). traffic was backed up on the freeway I was merging onto and planned to stay in the 2nd lane I currently was in that was still moving slightly faster than the nearly stopped leftmost lanes.
Right after the four lanes were all together, without the blue flashing screen or me touching the turn signal, the left turn signal came on and the car immediately started to move into a gap in the next lane to the left. I disengaged auto steer to stay in the 2nd lane.
I checked the AP screen, and it was still set to require turn signal confirmation.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting, tells me I've been doing it wrong. Press and hold only the scroll wheels? I've been also holding the brake.
Holding the brake has never had an effect during steering wheel reboots in Model 3.

There are two types of reboots: steering wheel and Power Off in the Safety & Security options. When you do the full Power Off, you have to NOT touch the brake or anything else for a few minutes to let it fully power down.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car does not leave the passing lane on its own nearly as much anymore. Has anyone else seen similar behavior?
Dirty Tesla on You Tube has been documenting this problem with the last few updates. I’ve also stopped seeing the suggestion to move out of the passing lane. I wonder if folks complained about the car not wanting to stay in the left lane. I would expect that if NoA put the car there, it should leave the lane also.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife hates hates hates my car, says she'd never buy a Tesla. Partly my fault (?), I am always engaging autopilot when I drive. The red steering wheel on the screen, the screeming alert sound, the phantom braking, the lane wandering, the sudden aborts during lane change, the surprise jerk of the steering wheel dropping out of autopilot, all have given her many an unwelcome start. I think there needs to be some passenger-factors engineering on many of these alerts. I am grateful that they provided a disable for the lane departure warning (was mandatory on in the original) as it was a real pain for the kinds of roads I'm on.
Hmm. For what it's worth, none of that happens in our car.

But it's understandable that passengers would be alarmed by what's happening in yours.

Here's our sitch:
  1. We only use Autopilot on freeways.
  2. We never cancel Autopilot by yanking the wheel. Instead, we place our foot on the accelerator to hold speed steady and stalk-up to calmly and quietly disengage it when necessary (and engage Joe Mode to quiet the chimes a bit).
  3. We never "chase nags." Instead, we keep hands in our lap on the wheel providing a gentle turning force either direction, and never hear nag beeps. That habit of providing steering pressure is not stressful, and your hands are ready in case you need quick action.
  4. We so far have disabled Lane Departure and Emergency Lane Departure features. In my opinion those are annoying and not necessary. My brother has a Toyota with Lane Departure Warning enabled, and I beg him each time I'm in his car to turn it off.
  5. We don't see any phantom braking lately. Haven't seen those on our local (Norther California Bay Area) roads in over a year. Had a few in early/mid-2018, but subsequent releases cleaned them up for us on our roads.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is not correct. You just tap the right wheel - no need to hold it down. The issue with the voice commands is that the Tesla servers are massively overloaded due to the release and the holidays - everyone is out trying the feature at once whereas before people only sporadically used voice commands.

Unfortunately, there is some guy here spreading the misinformation that you need to hold it down, because apparently he did that and it worked for him that time (random chance). Reminds me of those animal conditioning experiments that BF Skinner did with lab rats - first train the rats with a reward when they perform some action, then change the system to give the rats rewards at random times. Eventually the rats will start doing a strange dance thinking it's causing them to get a reward. Or in this case, they'll come to TeslaOwnersOnline and tell everyone they need to hold down the scroll wheel to trigger the voice command :)
I was using the tap and was able to get the words I was saying transcribed, but the commands weren’t carried out (or I didn’t get confirmation) as the card disappeared as soon as I finished speaking. Holding the button down while speaking allowed me to get confirmation that the command was recognized and executed.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My main complaint with this release is that occasionally it seems like the voice recognition process gets busy/non-responsive and takes a while to return to normal functionality.
Hopefully the expanded commands won't continue hampering what I have considered to be the only daily worthwhile speech rec that I use.

Me: "Siri, what's the phone number for Fry's Electronics?"
Siri: "I'm not sure. Here's [a web list of unrelated stuff]. Wanna try one of these?"
Me: "Dammit, no."

Me: "Alexa, play hits from the '80s."
Alexa: "Playing instrumental chamber music from 1980 from Spotify."
Me: "Dammit, no."

Jarettp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Dirty Tesla on You Tube has been documenting this problem with the last few updates. I’ve also stopped seeing the suggestion to move out of the passing lane. I wonder if folks complained about the car not wanting to stay in the left lane. I would expect that if NoA put the car there, it should leave the lane also.
Apparently it's a HW2.5 bug.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Took my car for a quick spin this afternoon, my first time driving with this release.

Like others have reported, I noticed significant Autopilot lane ping-pong for the first time in a V10 release. There was also one particularly concerning moment going around a curve where the car actually crossed over into the adjacent lane (which was completely empty as far as the eye could see, so no real danger). I haven't experienced a lane cross-over since a particularly buggy spring-2019 release (can't remember which), but I never understood why the car wouldn't correct itself before this happened, even though the Autopilot display showed the car's left wheels significantly over the lane line. At any rate, last time the behavior went away with the next firmware update, so hopefully this will be the case again.

On the plus side, voice commands worked flawlessly (once I remembered to keep the button held down until I finished speaking) and it was nifty to FINALLY be able to control the HVAC system and seat heaters without poking around on the display!

Sending a text message also worked as expected, though I had to read and tap the touchscreen a few times to disambiguate my wife's various phone numbers.

motocoder

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was using the tap and was able to get the words I was saying transcribed, but the commands weren’t carried out (or I didn’t get confirmation) as the card disappeared as soon as I finished speaking. Holding the button down while speaking allowed me to get confirmation that the command was recognized and executed.
I think it was just a coincidence that it worked when you held the button down. I’ve tried out dozens of commands in my car, successfully, without holding the button down for any.

NightStorm

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmm. For what it's worth, none of that happens in our car.

But it's understandable that passengers would be alarmed by what's happening in yours.

Here's our sitch:
  1. We only use Autopilot on freeways.
  2. We never cancel Autopilot by yanking the wheel. Instead, we place our foot on the accelerator to hold speed steady and stalk-up to calmly and quietly disengage it when necessary (and engage Joe Mode to quiet the chimes a bit).
  3. We never "chase nags." Instead, we keep hands in our lap on the wheel providing a gentle turning force either direction, and never hear nag beeps. That habit of providing steering pressure is not stressful, and your hands are ready in case you need quick action.
  4. We so far have disabled Lane Departure and Emergency Lane Departure features. In my opinion those are annoying and not necessary. My brother has a Toyota with Lane Departure Warning enabled, and I beg him each time I'm in his car to turn it off.
  5. We don't see any phantom braking lately. Haven't seen those on our local (Norther California Bay Area) roads in over a year. Had a few in early/mid-2018, but subsequent releases cleaned them up for us on our roads.
I think these are all good points and it is nice to see them listed as you have. I also follow similar protocol (except when I am alone in the car and want to experiment :p ).

Btw, my original was to explain why my wife dislikes my M3, take it as an explanation of events over about 15 months of time, I did not mean to say that all of that is occurring all of the time. For example I still do experience phantom braking but fortunately much less common (sadly not yet zero).

Applying pressure to the wheel is an unfortunate necessity during autopilot. I wish the car had another way as I prefer to drive two handed. Alas two handled does not work for me as I seem to subconsciously drive with the car and that gets me the nag. This update has some problem where it unexpectedly drops out of autopilot. Suddenly the gentle pressure that autopilot was applying to my hand is gone and now my hand is turning the wheel in a jerk, startling both my wife and me. Oops.

My phone tells me my car has the .5 update now, by the time I get back from traveling in a few weeks there will probably be another. I'm looking forward to returning to all of the improvements these bring.