Software v10.2 2019.40.50.1 7fefc12d805a (12/24/2019). The Christmas Eve Update

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Did you install?

• Total voters

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As I've said many times before, I do not get any un-expected phantom braking at all in my car. any and every time AP has braked it was because of adjacent cars, something in the traffic pattern (IE, slowing at a curve or normally congested area - so picking up on prior traffic patterns even if no others are slowing at that time).
not saying your car or your roads are not having phantom braking issues, but it certainly is not everywhere on every car.

The one (as in single ONE) phantom braking I have experienced driving any Tesla was in a Turo Model 3 in August 2018. wide open freeway on a sunny day, with any nearby cars behind me. Nothing adjacent or ahead for some distance. So I know it happens and on this one particular day witnessed it, but have never in my own car (that Turo rental was an early VIN 5,70x also).
I have to agree with you @MelindaV. Phantom braking is a non-issue for me also. I recall one serious incident more than a year ago while going under an overpass. Since then any unexplained braking has been infrequent and minor. When these minor braking events happen, it seems to me that the car is being uncertain and over-cautious of it's surroundings. It might slow by only 2-3 mph, but that sudden decel feels much more drastic and can still be alarming.

As for the over-cautious slowing for cross traffic, in 45k miles the CAR has trained ME to be ready. These incidents are much improved from last year, but the car still slows when a normal driver wouldn't. I now overide such slowing with manual acceleration, mindlessly. While we don't have to steer, brake, or accelerate in many situations in these cars; we do, currently, have to be ready to overide the car with manual steering, braking, or acceleration.

I think that each of us has to decide whether we can live with TACC functions as they currently work, or if we'll leave them off for now and wait for more acceptable iterations. As long as someone in the fleet is using these functions, they will continue to improve mile by mile.

Jason Krellner

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife doesn't swear... but she does in my car...
Phantom braking is not getting better, hard brake with red steering and warning on TACC yesterday (on a road I've travelled before).
After a year, any waiting to upload any software wouldn't have fixed this.

I don't call this a glitch anymore, hiding behind beta has to end eventually.
Anyway, I'm glad I don't have a heart condition :)
Agree. This is the biggest issue with the car. I don’t swear much either, but I do when it brakes when I don’t want it to. My issue is when someone makes a turn in front of me and there’s plenty of room between my car and theirs, the car still brakes hard versus I wouldn’t have brakes at all. I’m hoping this behavior improves with HW3.
Totally agree. I've experienced both true "phantom" braking (i.e., not caused by ANYTHING happening on the road) and the unnecessary "holy crap" braking when a car turns in front of me (i.e., a situation where I would not have applied any braking). To add on top of it, the last time the unnecessary braking occurred, the car also bleeped at me. I, too, am glad I don't have a heart condition.

As I've said many times before, I do not get any un-expected phantom braking at all in my car. any and every time AP has braked it was because of adjacent cars, something in the traffic pattern (IE, slowing at a curve or normally congested area - so picking up on prior traffic patterns even if no others are slowing at that time).
not saying your car or your roads are not having phantom braking issues, but it certainly is not everywhere on every car.

The one (as in single ONE) phantom braking I have experienced driving any Tesla was in a Turo Model 3 in August 2018. wide open freeway on a sunny day, with any nearby cars behind me. Nothing adjacent or ahead for some distance. So I know it happens and on this one particular day witnessed it, but have never in my own car (that Turo rental was an early VIN 5,70x also).
The Turo observation is an interesting one. I, too, rented a Model 3 through Turo in Colorado and experienced two gut-wrenching completely surprising phantom braking events. Sunny, dry, etc. - car did a HARD brake for no reason at all. I ended up not using AP/TACC for the remainder of the trip. I did not note the VIN.

To me, the car's "intelligence" has a long way to go before FSD is even close to a reality. Setting aside all the really tricky/unexpected things that come up driving on city streets, if the car can't even handle a car turning left in front of it without totally freaking out, this whole thing is dead in the water and will only ever be worth anything on highways.

All part of the reason I wish I had passed on FSD and gotten a performance model instead...

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In general, I haven't experienced much true phantom braking (as opposed to over-cautious braking). But on one of the last v9 firmware versions I experienced quite a bit of it. That version didn't have any more than the usual number of TOO reports of phantom braking, and every version seems to have some people saying "it's much worse now!"

That's convinced me that some (not all) of the problem probably has something to do with failed/poor calibration after a firmware update, or similar installation issues. In other words, there's nothing wrong with a particular firmware update per se, but sometimes the update process goes awry. The same goes for some of the other problems that show up for some people on some firmware updates, seemingly at random: backup camera failures, sound system problems, etc.. Problems that occur with the update process are probably fixable (e.g. a more robust self-test routine after updates), and I hope Tesla is working on them.

The other explanation I've seen people on this forum give is that it's just particular combinations of hardware, firmware, and settings that trigger the problem, and that's why it seems to afflict people randomly. That's possible too, but my hunch is at least some of the issues have to do with the installation process and subsequent recalibration.

For people who have true phantom braking that extends over multiple firmware updates, I suspect a hardware problem or a corrupted register that gets carried over from firmware update to firmware update. I don't think people should accept that as "just the way it is"--it deserves a service call.

Summary of how I react to phantom braking issues:

--Out-of-the blue, frequent phantom braking: I wait for the next update to see if it corrects itself

--Out-of-the-blue, frequent phantom braking that doesn't correct itself with a new update and isn't reported as unusually widespread by other owners: this hasn't happened to me, but if it did I would make a service request

--Overly-cautious braking, braking caused by incorrect speed-limit problems, mild to moderate phantom braking on a particular stretch of road (perhaps due to "memory" of previous owners encountering traffic jams there): that's just the way it is. I expect these kinds of problems to gradually get better with new firmware updates, although sometimes there might be a two steps forward, one step back kind of pattern.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I know this was a BIG update and a lot of stuff was included, but the EAP on highways took a step backwards for me, with drifting between the lanes outer markings and not managing turns on a highway too well, so much so that as others have commented I ended up turning it off since I was concerned any police officer might thing I was intoxicated and pull me over. I think there is some needed work here that should correct it since this is the first time a WHILE that I have noticed this behaviour

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I still experience phantom braking. It's usually due to overpasses or overhead road signs, and usually when the overpass or sign appears "lower" due to me cresting a hill before it.

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lucky you;)
I still experience phantom braking. It's usually due to overpasses or overhead road signs, and usually when the overpass or sign appears "lower" due to me cresting a hill before it.
I agree fully with you, in my case, probably an overhead road sign added to low sun.
It's just the suddenness, on a road where it never did it again.
Even after these comments, I find FSD to be less annoying due mostly to the reduced time it flashes before moving lanes (I know, not due to this rev but the last one)

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll also note that I've had no phantom braking from since it was fixed a few releases back. I had quit using TACC due to the braking. I'm sure it can happen in some situations, but mine has been cleared up. I get a little ping ponging back and forth, but it's not bad. I know this is just like any other release, it will get tweaked. Just think back where we were 12 months ago.

Thank you for being a beta tester.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Almost exactly matches my experiences as well. Didn't an earlier version of autopilot mistake a truck crossing the road for an overpass? I believe the driver was killed in that incident. Makes sense that Tesla is being overly cautious. Every time I get a phantom braking incident I try and imagine the images the cameras are seeing. Of course, that doesn't explain those of you who have it happen randomly, it's just not been my experience (with over 50k miles). My wife hates it when it does it too BTW.
https://www.wired.com/story/teslas-latest-autopilot-death-looks-like-prior-crash/

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I havent had it in a while either i had it a few months ago in this same spot maybe ive been lucky.

NightStorm

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I really like being able to change the wiper speed. .
Me too. I went to a car wash and as the suds started so did the auto wipers. I brought up the wiper menu to turn them off, would have had to poke around to find out how to do that, then realized I could just say "Wipers off". Worked great and saved time.

NightStorm

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FWIW, you don't have to pull over to reboot.

As the MCU reboots you can't hear the turn signals (though they still work normally) and can't see the speedometer and navigation—but the driving functions (including AP) work uninterrupted. If you are on a familiar route and aren't stressed, you can just do it as you drive.
Interesting, tells me I've been doing it wrong. Press and hold only the scroll wheels? I've been also holding the brake.

NightStorm

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife doesn't swear... but she does in my car...
My wife hates hates hates my car, says she'd never buy a Tesla. Partly my fault (?), I am always engaging autopilot when I drive. The red steering wheel on the screen, the screeming alert sound, the phantom braking, the lane wandering, the sudden aborts during lane change, the surprise jerk of the steering wheel dropping out of autopilot, all have given her many an unwelcome start. I think there needs to be some passenger-factors engineering on many of these alerts. I am grateful that they provided a disable for the lane departure warning (was mandatory on in the original) as it was a real pain for the kinds of roads I'm on.

ibgeek

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife hates hates hates my car, says she'd never buy a Tesla. Partly my fault (?), I am always engaging autopilot when I drive. The red steering wheel on the screen, the screaming alert sound, the phantom braking, the lane wandering, the sudden aborts during lane change, the surprise jerk of the steering wheel dropping out of autopilot, all have given her many an unwelcome start. I think there needs to be some passenger-factors engineering on many of these alerts. I am grateful that they provided a disable for the lane departure warning (was mandatory on in the original) as it was a real pain for the kinds of roads I'm on.
Just drove from SF To Vegas and back 99% NOA and it was flawless. Honestly AP on my car has been nearly perfect for months with one exception right after v10 was installed but that issue was patched within 2 days. I haven't had a lane change abort, phantom break or anything like that in so long that I don't even think about it anymore.

If your car is truly that bad, you need to get it serviced. Seriously there is something very wrong with it.

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another small issue, not very important but this function is mentioned in the release notes for this update. "Additionally, if you have favorite phone contacts on your device, you can now easily access them from the Favorites tab of the Phone app."

As before I can see all my contacts as they are synced with my phone. I thought you should also be able to see a "Favorites" tab in the phone app. I don't see this tab, but my wife sees it when her phone is connected to the car. I have an iPhone 8 she has a 7.

Have others had this issue? If yes, is there a fix for this?
Are you both using ios13?

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have favorites on my phone (an iPhone 6S on iOS 12). I haven’t updated my Tesla app (and therefore can’t enable text syncing). Are you using the latest Tesla app?
The Tesla app on the phone doesn’t matter. They are talking about the phone app in the car (from app tray)

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Tesla app on the phone doesn’t matter. They are talking about the phone app in the car (from app tray)
The Favorites option is missing from my Tesla phone app (in my car). I was postulating at reasons for why that is the case. Obviously the car needs to get your favorites list in some manner.

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Today was the first time the auto wipers worked without any manual overrides. This was both before and after dark. They were not perfectly timed, but unlike prior drives, they did wipe before I could press the button. Needs to be a bit quicker though, especially after dark with ongoing traffic. Up to a "C" from an "F".

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just drove from SF To Vegas and back 99% NOA and it was flawless.
It's not too surprising that AP works well on California roads in California weather. Tesla needs to sample a LOT more scenarios in the North East, and train that NN to deal with them better. All the hills, bridges, and overhead signs - not to mention our rainy weather - just seem to confuse the hell out of it. I had it brake again this morning on my commute for absolutely no good reason - other than the fact that I was approaching an overhead sign. In the dark. In the rain.

1577705139163-png.31477

(also, WTF Google, did you forget to tighten down the camera to the top of the car, or do you now have motorcycles taking these street view images?)