Software Build v9.0 2019.28.3.1 f9e95acd (8/16/2019)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Did you install this release?

• Total voters
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Same, I've lost 20 miles of range. I just noticed it about a week ago
Same here. I didn't adjust the target recharge percentage, but my mileage after a charge has reduced by 2 miles almost every day since the new software was installed. Down 9 miles so far. Seems like this is counteracting the increase we got a while back when the overall mileage max went from 310 to 325.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Feel free to toss tomatoes at me, but.......

........I, on the other hand, always keep my energy gauge reading in % so I don't get all caught up in the minutia of the latest software "best guesses" for remaining range.

After 15 months of use, there are two (regular) critical trips I make in this car.

One is a (same day) round trip to the airport in Toronto, the other is a one way trip (remain over night) to the in-laws in the eastern Ottawa area.

In the summer, I can make the airport round trip with no charging stops and the Ottawa run with 52% used.

In the winter, I make a six minute stop at the Port Hope supercharger on my return leg from the airport whilst the Ottawa run uses 67%.

If the (winter only) recharge at Port Hope suddenly requires seven minutes of charging time, or my Ottawa runs suddenly require 54%/69%, I'll still leave my battery gauge on % and not worry about it.

Signed,

Blissfully ignorant EV driver

slasher016

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I move my daily charge limit around so much that I can rarely tell about alleged degradation. The only times I pay attention is on the rare occasions I charge to full -- maybe 4 times ever. Most recently I was charging to full this past weekend because I wasn't sure what the day was going to bring, by it got up to about 315 miles and I needed to leave and it still said 30 mins to full charge. I think most people are probably seeing minimal actual loss, but the perception of loss is based on changing formulas and temperature variances and whatnot.

NEO

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The profile tied to our phone keys is not working. My wife and I share the car and we still have to choose our profiles every time we switch. Is this feature working for anyone?

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I lost about 4 miles to vampire drain over 24 hours.

Last week I noticed that charging to my usual daily 70% resulted in about 6 miles less range so charged to 90% and haven't charged since. I'm down to about 50% now and want to see how close to teens % I can get before I need to take a road trip. FWIW, I charge on 120v. I have about 9k miles on the odo.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Likewise, lost 4-6 miles at 80% charge since last update. Sounds like many variables could be at play but interesting that many are seeing a degradation from this upgrade...

Frully

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The profile tied to our phone keys is not working. My wife and I share the car and we still have to choose our profiles every time we switch. Is this feature working for anyone?
I find if we both get in the car simultaneously it matters who walked into the garage first...often times since I hold the door for her, her profile goes primary when I drive.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
thing is i did nothing , car is plugged not moved before and after update, loss was 20+ miles.
Also keep in mind the miles range is an estimate. They may have moved those miles around on the percentage battery remaining curve as discharge is non-linear. they may have condensed the 'available miles' toward the top of the battery and you would only see a 'drop in range' when really it's just redistributed.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My car was down to 302 miles at 100% previously.

I charged to 100% last Friday on this version of software, and it was up to 306 miles.
So I am happy. :)

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

I charged to 100% last Friday on this version of software, and it was up to 306 miles.
Did you have to let it sit at 100%? The only time charging to 100% helped me was when I left the car at 100% overnight. Generally I try to avoid that since it is supposed to be bad for the battery. I am nervous about trying it again.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Did you have to let it sit at 100%?
The only time I charge to 100% is at work on a Friday. I aim for reaching 90%-100% right before I leave to go home so that the car doesn't sit at 100% for any appreciable length of time. It just so happened to reach 100% this past Friday.

I don't do this for "calibration" like others do. I do this to get that sweet, sweet free EV charging to last an entire weekend of running around. :D

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country

........I, on the other hand, always keep my energy gauge reading in % so I don't get all caught up in the minutia of the latest software "best guesses" for remaining range.

After 15 months of use, there are two (regular) critical trips I make in this car.

One is a (same day) round trip to the airport in Toronto, the other is a one way trip (remain over night) to the in-laws in the eastern Ottawa area.

In the summer, I can make the airport round trip with no charging stops and the Ottawa run with 52% used.

In the winter, I make a six minute stop at the Port Hope supercharger on my return leg from the airport whilst the Ottawa run uses 67%.

If the (winter only) recharge at Port Hope suddenly requires seven minutes of charging time, or my Ottawa runs suddenly require 54%/69%, I'll still leave my battery gauge on % and not worry about it.

Signed,

Further to my rant:

Latest EVTV from Jack, fast forward to 1+17 (77 minutes) for beginning of context and then listen along as he builds up to (@ 1+25) his world view of how accurate the range listed on the battery icon is.....or isn't. .......

[mod edit to link video to start at the 1hr 17min mark]

zosoisnotaword

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Signed,

I don't pay attention to it either. I'm also set to display battery as a percentage and have still seen some squirrely behavior. Occasionally I'll get home from work at, for example, 76%, and an hour later it will display 72%. The most I've "lost" during one of these short-period observations is 5%. It's probably happened about a dozen or so times in 16 months. On the other hand, occasionally I will get home with 76%, and wake up the next morning with 78%.

The first time I lost 4% in an hour last year I was a little shocked, but the first time I had vampire gains I realized it's probably normal calculation/pack adjustments based on varying temperatures and voltages.

A few times I've charged to 100% since the "added range" update came out, I checked the range in miles and got something like 319 the first time, 312 the next, and then 318. I lost interest in what my instantaneous "maximum range" is long ago because of how fluid the calculation is. Plus I average close to 260 Wh/mi, so it tends not to matter for me.

Edit: 253 Wh/mi. I'm not as fast as I thought I was.

Last edited:

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I haven't charged to full since getting this version, but I did notice that the "rated" line on the consumption graph has changed. It was 230 Wh/mi before, if I recall correctly, and is now around 235 Wh/mi. I'm quite certain it's higher than it was.

That would explain, both qualitatively and quantitatively, the reduction in reported range people are seeing. Of course, whether that represents a real reduction in efficiency (presumably in exchange for some other benefit) or just a recalibration of the reported numbers will be difficult to ascertain, as the difference is only a few percent.

I have a LR RWD Model 3 (a discontinued option!).

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I haven't charged to full since getting this version, but I did notice that the "rated" line on the consumption graph has changed. It was 230 Wh/mi before, if I recall correctly, and is now around 235 Wh/mi. I'm quite certain it's higher than it was.

That would explain, both qualitatively and quantitatively, the reduction in reported range people are seeing. Of course, whether that represents a real reduction in efficiency (presumably in exchange for some other benefit) or just a recalibration of the reported numbers will be difficult to ascertain, as the difference is only a few percent.

I have a LR RWD Model 3 (a discontinued option!).
That varies depending on your last 30 miles or whatever you have it set to on the bottom. It’s showing your average over that many prior miles

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Mine did something similar recently... It was around 300 +/- 2 for a while, now it's at 303 +/-2. It's as though every month or so it jumps up (or down) 3 miles, with no obvious change in charging or depletion patterns, charging methods, or firmware.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That varies depending on your last 30 miles or whatever you have it set to on the bottom. It’s showing your average over that many prior miles
No. You're talking about the "average" line. There's also a "rated" line. The rated line never changes (except with some firmware updates!).

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Also keep in mind the miles range is an estimate. They may have moved those miles around on the percentage battery remaining curve as discharge is non-linear. they may have condensed the 'available miles' toward the top of the battery and you would only see a 'drop in range' when really it's just redistributed.
well car went from the original 264 mile range charged at 100% to 220 miles at 90% when previously it was at 247 at 90% might as well saved myself a couple K and gotten the standard range if i knew these shenanigans would have ensued. car still parked by the way not moved before or after update.

njkode

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Keep in mind not all drives are created equal. They may be rated at usb3 speeds but suffer in random iops performance...where usb writes happen in large bursts - not necessarily a lot of data, but a lot of concurrent files being written.
Yes that is true but I've been running this USB thumb drive since the dash cam was enabled and it is just now failing. I guess the thumb drive could be failing but that seems unlikely