Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Have you installed a version of 2021.4?

941 - 960 of 1,003 Posts
Any evidence of a widespread software download this weekend, July 11th?

Bob Wilson
I think that one is still only going the FSD early access group for the moment. Even folks that had some tastes of early access for various features in the past are left out of this one. Allegedly wider release in about a month. Which month was not specified!

ewwww. I'll have to book a couple of hours and give that a try. (will need to do my wife's as well).
thanks to @Long Ranger @Ken Voss and @gary in NY - i deleted the phone from the key cards, and the app from my phone, then reinstalled the app, logged in - was asked if I wanted to set this phone up as a key card - did so, and then tagged my profile to the new key card.

had car lock itself, unlocked with my wife's phone key and the car went to her profile even though I had been driving this afternoon. Then had the car lock itslef after I exited, then traded phones back in the house and open the car with my phone key and the car went to my profile.

seems to be fixed - thanks guys!

Any evidence of a widespread software download this weekend, July 11th?

Bob Wilson
Not at all. Seems this is still just going to be "early access' people, most of which are probably still employees. They MAY have upped that from the ~1.5K to ~2K but still employees, still no general Joe or Jane. no download button, no subscription being announced or trial offered. I'm thinking we're probably at least September, maybe later.

We KNOW Tesla wants to do this and get it out somehow. I don't know anymore exactly how much deferred revenue they are still carrying on the books for undelivered functionality, but it was well over 100M several years ago, it's got to be 3-5x that amount by now. That's a lot of money to recognize when they can legitmatly show the delivery. For me, I've given them ~7K for which I didn't get much value or real usage of it (sure, I use TACC and some lane change functionality, but I'm not having it take off ramps or of course enabling any city driving at all), but at this point I'd rather have kept the 7K (now that we know it isn't transferable to a new car and one gets no credit for it at all) and I could have doubled that money in the past 3+ years.

... For me, I've given them ~7K for which I didn't get much value or real usage of it (sure, I use TACC and some lane change functionality, but I'm not having it take off ramps or of course enabling any city driving at all, but at this point I'd rather have kept the 7K (now that we know it isn't transferable to a new car and one gets no credit for it at all) and I could have doubled that money in the past 3+ years.
this.

I was thinking about the same thing over the weekend. My wife and I opted for FSD/EAP/AP/whatever for about 9K Canadian extra when we bought our M3 in November 2018. Then not 5 months later I find out that to actually get that functionality I needed to buy an upgraded board/chip for another 2K (and only that low because I tripped over the sale that was happening). So more money. Eventually after a couple of years I got the install. Now I can have the car slowdown at cross walk signals which are not illuminated and have the car waffle at forks in the road until it aims right at the dividing barrier.

At this point, Tesla should give us branded seat protectors for the passenger side of the car.

The car won't come to me in a parking lot, won't find parking spots on the other side of the row and in recent updates has messed up previously functionality with media, profiles and so on. NOA has become less and less reliable - my wife never uses it and I have stopped because it is too chancy - I even had my car start to follow the lead car through a red light the other day.

my 11K Canadian would have been better spent on bigger battery or some house renos or schooling for the kids than for what I got for it which is bupkis.

If I truly felt a part of this brave new world of cars by having my feedback matter I might have a different story, but the deaf ears of Tesla have stopped me from submitting bug reports, emailing with issues or otherwise providing feedback. At this point I am starting to feel that we have all been taken for a ride by this company as they cleverly convince us to pay a bit more for this or for that on the promise of this being the final hurdle to what we have been promised for years.

At this point if it turns out that we need yet another MCU upgrade in promise of achieving what the car was supposed to do before the first MCU upgrade, then colour me surprised if people don't finally toss in the towel saying enough is enough.

to actually get that functionality I needed to buy an upgraded board/chip for another 2K
What?! I thought Tesla was upgrading free of charge the MCUs as needed, if you purchased FSD... I was considering eventually getting FSD, but only to upgrade the MCU - FSD is completely useless here in France and I have little confidence it will do anything more than the EAP, which I already have, before I'm ready to change my car...

It's kind of unclear - I think he may have originally just bought EAP, then added the FSD during the March sale in 2019. Although they may have been doing things differently in Canada back then.

nope. back in Nov 2018 i bought the car with all the software upgrades available at the time and paid dearly for them. However, I just went over my bills

at purchase Nov 2018 - EAP - $7K (FSD was not available)
Mar 15 - FSD software/hw - $3K

My point is that paid 7K for "the everything" only to be hit up in 4 months for almost 50% more for the true "everything" which to be honest is still not here. I suspect that another MCU upgrade will be required to achieve "the everything" and I suspect I'm going to pass until I see much better car functionality.

What?! I thought Tesla was upgrading free of charge the MCUs as needed, if you purchased FSD... I was considering eventually getting FSD, but only to upgrade the MCU - FSD is completely useless here in France and I have little confidence it will do anything more than the EAP, which I already have, before I'm ready to change my car...
I can't speak for @lance.bailey, but I bought EAP originally back in 2018. Upgraded(foolishly) to FSD at the $2K fire sale. And Tesla upgraded my 2.5 to 3.0 last year(?) at no charge.

There is no MCU upgrade. The only component that gets upgraded is the FSD computer. That is a ‘free’ upgrade if you have purchased FSD either at initial purchase or later as an upgrade. If you do not have FSD, no free upgrade of the FSD computer, but that really is a non-issue as that computer is only used for FSD. It does not make Netflix work better or Fallout any faster.

When they told us about Hardware 3, they also said they were working on Hardware 4. So, when that comes out, I certainly hope we get THAT upgrade free, too, if they determine that's what it takes to make this (so far, very expensive) pipe dream come true.

I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about HW4. The lead time on that kind of development can be awhile thus they always have to be looking/developing forward.
It will be interesting to know what the new S/X have in them. It has been a full 2 years since 3.0 was ready, the next generation should be available soon if they continued working on it. I would hope in time for the Cybertruck, if it didn't make the S/X.

this.

I was thinking about the same thing over the weekend. My wife and I opted for FSD/EAP/AP/whatever for about 9K Canadian extra when we bought our M3 in November 2018. Then not 5 months later I find out that to actually get that functionality I needed to buy an upgraded board/chip for another 2K (and only that low because I tripped over the sale that was happening). So more money. Eventually after a couple of years I got the install. Now I can have the car slowdown at cross walk signals which are not illuminated and have the car waffle at forks in the road until it aims right at the dividing barrier.

At this point, Tesla should give us branded seat protectors for the passenger side of the car.

The car won't come to me in a parking lot, won't find parking spots on the other side of the row and in recent updates has messed up previously functionality with media, profiles and so on. NOA has become less and less reliable - my wife never uses it and I have stopped because it is too chancy - I even had my car start to follow the lead car through a red light the other day.

my 11K Canadian would have been better spent on bigger battery or some house renos or schooling for the kids than for what I got for it which is bupkis.

If I truly felt a part of this brave new world of cars by having my feedback matter I might have a different story, but the deaf ears of Tesla have stopped me from submitting bug reports, emailing with issues or otherwise providing feedback. At this point I am starting to feel that we have all been taken for a ride by this company as they cleverly convince us to pay a bit more for this or for that on the promise of this being the final hurdle to what we have been promised for years.

At this point if it turns out that we need yet another MCU upgrade in promise of achieving what the car was supposed to do before the first MCU upgrade, then colour me surprised if people don't finally toss in the towel saying enough is enough.
This is borderline genius comedy, and th post deserves a round of applause.

Sounds more like a foreshadow of a lawsuit that is coming....the Canadian version, anyway.

Though I'm sure the US one isn't far behind.
I see large payouts of maple syrup in the future...

941 - 960 of 1,003 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.