Software Build v10.2 2020.4.1 4a4ad401858 (2020-01-27)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Did you install 2020.4.1?

• Total voters
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have 4.1 since end of January and I must admit this is the better update I had. No ping pong, no phantom breaking, smooth stop and go, smooth Lane change, no phone problems. Just waiting my FSD upgrade.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Finally got some rain and have been able to test the auto wipers. VASTLY improved. They operate in a more measured tone in light rain. The last version I would turn them off because of the almost sporadic operating.
I just leave mine off and manually swipe as needed.

Dick Blonov

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had more weird stuff happen today the car showed P when it was in drive again and all the different icons that appear at the top lit up at once and the steering wheel icon turned yellow. I guess I should take in to Tesla.
Most likely a bug. Exact same thing happened to me, along with the speed displaying some random value. Reported it. Solved with the two scroller salute.

Another funky behaviour: I wake the car, turn on climate control and when I get in the car, the navigation is set to the location I'm at. So in the morning before I leave home, it's set to navigate home.o_O

Phil

ibgeek

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
According to a tech. The Ping Pong affect was introduced a while back with an update to some cars. It's due to a bad calibration of the sonar sensors. Some users have gone to the service center and had everything re-calibrated. Users that have ping pong issues will usually notice the car moves over in the lane like a semi is there when it is not. Once the calibration is done, the issue is solved. If you are getting the FSD computer installed, everything will get re-calibrated as part of that process. If not, then i suggest service.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I totally don't get why this occurs for some people and not for others.
I drove Trevor's Model 3 for several hundred miles on Sunday. I can confirm that his vehicle does not exhibit any of the ping-pong behavior that mine does.
According to a tech. The Ping Pong affect was introduced a while back with an update to some cars. It's due to a bad calibration of the sonar sensors. Some users have gone to the service center and had everything re-calibrated. Users that have ping pong issues will usually notice the car moves over in the lane like a semi is there when it is not. Once the calibration is done, the issue is solved. If you are getting the FSD computer installed, everything will get re-calibrated as part of that process. If not, then i suggest service.
That sounds reasonable. At this point, I'll probably just wait a few more weeks to let them further refine this whole upgrade process and then request the FSD upgrade.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been having daily bluetooth phone key problems with this release. Never had them this prevalent before. Anyone else?
After I updated the Tesla app on my phone, I had to re-authorize my phone to be used as a key. Weird thing is that I have two phones (both Samsungs) and only one of them had to be re-authenticated.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The issue is confirmed fixed in Hardware 3.0 but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to fix it in 2.5. The code set has diverged though. What I did to deal with this was switched auto lane change to the mode where it only does lane changes for navigation. If I wanted to move to a faster lane I initiated it myself.
I NEVER run NOA and I still have this behavior. It's very reluctant to change back and I often take over.

ibgeek

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I NEVER run NOA and I still have this behavior. It's very reluctant to change back and I often take over.
If you are not running NOA then your car should never make lane changes of any kind unless you tell it to. If you are having issues with standard AP lane changes, then you REALLY need to get service. I can't even remember the last time I had an issue with Autopilot or NOA when it comes to lane changes. It sounds like you lack confidence in your cars abilities. You paid way to much to deal with that. I can tell you that it's not the norm. My car is rock solid in AP or NOA.

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll be checking this on the 60 mile ride home from the SC next Tuesday (HW3). The gash on my front bumper (this fascia should be replaced too - if they got the color right this time) was right on a sensor, but that was months ago, and the P-P really got bad with this release. I definitely feel the move over when a semi is passed/goes by. It's kind of jerky though. Also last trip I actually had a few cars in adjacent lanes wander into my lane, and my car did nothing. I took control twice, maybe too soon, but how long do you wait?

I will remember to tell the tech these details this time too. I didn't mention it last visit; never thought of it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I bought my 3 there was autopilot, enhanced auto pilot and full self drive. EAP allowed it to change lanes on command. FSD allowed NOA, I think. New Teslas only have AP and FSD options. I was surprised with my wife's new MS without FSD that it won't change lanes when commanded. I'd never driven on AP that also didn't have EAP.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I bought my 3 there was autopilot, enhanced auto pilot and full self drive. EAP allowed it to change lanes on command. FSD allowed NOA, I think. New Teslas only have AP and FSD options. I was surprised with my wife's new MS without FSD that it won't change lanes when commanded. I'd never driven on AP that also didn't have EAP.
To my recollection, there was never a point when AP, EAP, and FSD were all options you could buy.

At first, there was EAP and FSD. EAP provides every function currently available, but does not include upgrade to HW3 and will not provide some of the FSD functions that will come out in the future. FSD, so far, has only provided the hardware upgrade and thus the associated visualizations.

Then it switched to AP and FSD. AP provides TACC and AutoSteer. FSD provides everything the old EAP did, plus the hardware upgrade, plus future features.

Now, on new cars, HW3 and AP have become standard. The only separate option is FSD, which provides what the old EAP did, plus future features.

ig0p0g0

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m getting a different kind of ping-ponging...in the forward direction. Following a car that is going a constant speed, my car will slightly speed up and slow down, the gap repeatedly narrowing and widening. This is new with this release. Seems like it might have the same cause as the ping ponging that others are reporting.

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m getting a different kind of ping-ponging...in the forward direction. Following a car that is going a constant speed, my car will slightly speed up and slow down, the gap repeatedly narrowing and widening. This is new with this release. Seems like it might have the same cause as the ping ponging that others are reporting.
I've also noticed that happening, enough so that's it's detectable. It wasn't all the time, but it did happen multiple times on the last few AP trips. Another item on the list of things it never did before.

Boy, I hope the next software update, or HW3 upgrade, fixes many of these problems.

ibgeek

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is caused by there not being enough dampening of the radar's reporting speed changes of the car in front of you. I actually tested this with a Friend because I was seeing it too.
If the drive in front of you likes to tap on the throttle while driving, your car will mimic this behavior. I had a friend of mine drive in front of me and tap the throttle and it transferred to my car. I had a co-worker years ago that thought that doing that saved gas. :|

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
This is caused by there not being enough dampening of the radar's reporting speed changes of the car in front of you. I actually tested this with a Friend because I was seeing it too.
If the drive in front of you likes to tap on the throttle while driving, your car will mimic this behavior. I had a friend of mine drive in front of me and tap the throttle and it transferred to my car. I had a co-worker years ago that thought that doing that saved gas. :|
Back in the 2008-2010 time frame, there was much online discussion about the effect "pulse and glide" would have on fuel consumption in a Prius.

Under certain conditions, one could make a case (via results observed on a Scan II gauge plugged into the OBD II port) that accelerating and then controlled coasting would result in better fuel economy.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I totally don't get why this occurs for some people and not for others. There seems to be NO rhyme or reason to it. I was perhaps wondering if it might be non-standard tires (my X-ice mess up my regenerative braking), but that doesn't seem to be it either. Some people say it gets better after the HW upgrade, I'm worried I'm going to go from barely noticing it to having it bad :-(
I reported earlier that I was seeing less ping ponging, but I’ve noticed a couple of spots on U.S. 101 in Sonoma County where it still does it.

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought this exact same thing when I first felt it, but I could not detect any such motion in the car ahead. My car definitely inched closer then backed off repeatedly. It could still have been the case, but I couldn't validate it. It feels like they need to adjust the TACC/AP speed control PID.

Why would someone drive this way? I know, people do all kinds of crazy things for all kinds of crazy reasons. I probably do some of them too. But it seems consistency wins in the long run.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To my recollection, there was never a point when AP, EAP, and FSD were all options you could buy.

At first, there was EAP and FSD. EAP provides every function currently available, but does not include upgrade to HW3 and will not provide some of the FSD functions that will come out in the future. FSD, so far, has only provided the hardware upgrade and thus the associated visualizations.

Then it switched to AP and FSD. AP provides TACC and AutoSteer. FSD provides everything the old EAP did, plus the hardware upgrade, plus future features.

Now, on new cars, HW3 and AP have become standard. The only separate option is FSD, which provides what the old EAP did, plus future features.
You are probably correct. Our first Tesla, a 2015 S, did have a charge for auto pilot ($2500), at that point there wasn't EAP or FSD. Our next car was a 3 and it came with auto pilot, but charged for EAP and FSD. Now EAP and FSD have been combined on new models.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another example of completely different experiences on different cars. I haven't noticed this speed ping pong (I do have lateral ping pong) and I'd describe the speed control on this version as the smoothest it's ever been. Up until ~2019.40.x, I’d often disengage AP because of its uneven speed control when following cars in various traffic conditions, but I noticed a big improvement around mid-Dec. That was also when my lateral ping pong started, but I recall thinking that the smoother acceleration made it an overall net improvement.