Current Software Build V10.2 2020.36 (latest 2020.36.12)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Have you installed a version of 2020.36?

• Total voters

RickO2018

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Because technically, you are not allowed to stay in the far left lane. Once you pass a car, you are supposed to return to your lane...but most people stay in it.
In most states you are not suppose to exceed the posted speed limit, even when passing. So in a perfect world, everyone should be going the limit. What usually is required, is that "Slower Traffic Stay to the right" How "slower" traffic is defined is the challenge. Some think 10 miles or more over the speed limit is "Slow" and therefore should not be in the left lane; however it is more correctly defined as slower than the posted speed limit.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What usually is required, is that "Slower Traffic Stay to the right" How "slower" traffic is defined is the challenge. Some think 10 miles or more over the speed limit is "Slow" and therefore should not be in the left lane; however it is more correctly defined as slower than the posted speed limit.
It depends upon the specific law in each state, but in many states you can’t just camp in the left lane just because you are going the speed limit. The speeder can be ticketed, but so can you for impeding the flow of traffic. For example, text from our law here in Washington:
(4) It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic.
RCW46.61.100

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In most states you are not suppose to exceed the posted speed limit, even when passing. So in a perfect world, everyone should be going the limit. What usually is required, is that "Slower Traffic Stay to the right" How "slower" traffic is defined is the challenge. Some think 10 miles or more over the speed limit is "Slow" and therefore should not be in the left lane; however it is more correctly defined as slower than the posted speed limit.
Law or no law, what about good old-fashioned consideration for others? I'm not generally one of the faster moving vehicles on major roadways, so I don't spend a lot of time in the left/passing lane. When I do move left I generally make my pass and return to the right lane. It has nothing to do with how fast I think others should travel; that's their choice to make. It's just simple consideration for others to leave the left lane open for those who need/want to travel faster unless I am passing others myself.

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
For me that's tied with turn signal activation after already starting the turn or lane change. Why bother!!!
For me it's people running red lights. Such a plague up here. When the light turns green gotta check to make sure everyone is stopped ... at least until all cars are self-driving.

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
For me it's people running red lights. Such a plague up here. When the light turns green gotta check to make sure everyone is stopped.
I was recently roadtripping through Cleveland. I was shocked by what drivers there considered to be normal...pulling out into traffic at the smallest hole. I generally don't pull out into traffic if I believe that I will cause anyone already in the roadway to have to apply their brakes. This didn't seem to be the rule in Cleveland at all. In an hour of driving there I would guess that I had to hit my brakes HARD at least a dozen times because of someone pulling out in front of me. Regional differences?

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was recently roadtripping through Cleveland. I was shocked by what drivers there considered to be normal...pulling out into traffic at the smallest hole. I generally don't pull out into traffic if I believe that I will cause anyone already in the roadway to have to apply their brakes. This didn't seem to be the rule in Cleveland at all. In an hour of driving there I would guess that I had to hit my brakes HARD at least a dozen times because of someone pulling out in front of me. Regional differences?
That's not typical based on my experience. People are usually polite and try to be helpful but the large number of construction zones makes driving a challenge for us all.

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I must admit you have me a bit confused...Your "polite" drivers run so many red lights to constitute a "plague"?
In traffic, dealing with others drivers, yes that's my experience. Now that doesn't mean that people aren't delinquent when it comes to red lights.

ibgeek

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There is a special place in my heart uh, well you know where, for those that drive in the left hand lane. Likely my number one pet peeve in the world.
I get that but there are absolutely use cases where staying left is a necessity. I've already covered them in this forum so I won't repeat myself. The Most important thing really is, get the hell out of the way if someone want to pass you. Do that and really nothing else (but your local traffic law) matters.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
On 2020.36.10, when stopped behind another car at a red light, I don’t think I’ve needed to pull the stalk yet to start moving. The stop line has turned green with the light every time, as long as I'm not the first car.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Law or no law, what about good old-fashioned consideration for others? I'm not generally one of the faster moving vehicles on major roadways, so I don't spend a lot of time in the left/passing lane. When I do move left I generally make my pass and return to the right lane. It has nothing to do with how fast I think others should travel; that's their choice to make. It's just simple consideration for others to leave the left lane open for those who need/want to travel faster unless I am passing others myself.
Some months ago I opined about having a NOA "overspeed whilst passing slower traffic" option to prevent being a rolling roadblock in the left lane.

I am still convinced that some sort of set speed offset option should exist and it comes into play when entering the left lane to pass slower traffic...or the software will speed up to match the traffic flow speed in the left lane...or a combination of these two.

As it is, with NOA, I am always manually inducing a faster speed during the time spent in the left/passing lane.

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As it is, with NOA, I am always manually inducing a faster speed during the time spent in the left/passing lane.
This is my experience too, especially if I’m passing a big rig or a pick up truck with a lot of equipment in the back. I usually do this by mashing the “gas” pedal a little bit until the pass is complete.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wonder if Tesla will implement that. This reminds of Waymo talking about pulling out in traffic and inching forward to replicate human behavior. (About three years ago.) Although if they did have FSD and I didn't have to pay attention I wouldn't care as much about camping out in the slow lane.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I wonder if Tesla will implement that. This reminds of Waymo talking about pulling out in traffic and inching forward to replicate human behavior. (About three years ago.) Although if they did have FSD and I didn't have to pay attention I wouldn't care as much about camping out in the slow lane.
I liken this behavior to equate to an experienced drver with excellent drivemanship skills.

The current iteration of NOA is still like someone with a learner permit who refuses to get their eyes out of the car and look ahead.

So, if Tesla does implement it, it won't be for a while yet.