Software Build v10.2 2019.40.50.5 79b51bc (12/28/2019)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Have you installed 2019.40.50.5?

• Total voters

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not any more sensitive, just making sure you are better informed. The winter months are more prone to sun blindness due to the lower sun angles throughout the day. You will start to see this issue slowly decrease as the days start to get longer now that we are past the winter equinox.
Solstice you mean. Equinoxes are spring and fall.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You are going to see this for a while. Has very little to do with the update as it's a server side issue. As soon as people get the update they all want to try everything out so the demand on the servers is artificially elevated beyond normal usage. Hopefully Tesla will spin up some more hardware to account for the loads soon.
If true, then people without the new update should see voice commands degrade once large numbers of other people start installing. Can anyone verify that their voice commands on 50.1 degraded once 50.5 started rolling out in large numbers?

Jim H

Country
Country
Works for me. Do you have Premium Connectivity? You’ll lose satellite view without that, and I think it expires for many people today. You can verify Premium Connectivity status by logging into your account, Manage you vehicle, and View Details.
Yep, signed up for that service, but do see a error message on my Tesla account. Sent a message since that seems to be were the problem is. Thanks.
Happy New Year to all!!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
since on 2019.40.50.5 Teslafi (and occasionally the native app) will have the API fail more times than not. still waiting for the .7 update so hope this was something unintentionally broken that is the reason for the quick update(s).

here's a snapshot from last night showing the API fails
screen-shot-2020-01-01-at-6-17-33-am-png.31548

Last edited:

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Bug Report voice command is now working again as of 2019.40.50.5, it even pops up this message:
Haven't tried it yet this morning, but bug report didn't work at all yesterday.

From a deep sleep in the garage (on wifi), the voice commands didn't work at all.

Once on the road, many commands were not recognized or the system didn't hear me.

When it heard any request for the "defroster", "front windshield defroster", "set defroster on high" (etc) all it would do is "turning HVAC on" and keep the current HVAC setting.

rdskill

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A couple of observations after about 60 miles on NOA with 50.5 today. Merge onto interstates was pretty smooth with proper acceleration, blend, and nearly immediate lane change to the left lane(only 2 lanes on this interstate, and my speed is set to +9mph). I found ping-ponging to be very minimal, but I'm not terribly sensitive to this. I noticed that movement within the lane to give large vehicles a wider berth seems to have gone away. While the car was quick to move left into the passing lane, at no time would it move back right out of the passing lane. The car has turned in to one of those A-holes who rides in the left lane and forces faster vehicles to go right to pass them. How very American of Tesla!

The car now prepares for exit about 1 mile before exit instead of the previous 2 miles(much more appropriate). The blinker is still late for exit, and now the car slows to speed limit at exit. To me, this seemed too abrupt and I worried about traffic behind me. The max speed indicator on the ramp counted down 5mph at the time down to 40mph.

IMHO, this update did very little to improve NOA, perhaps a half step backwards. But I can see that changes are being made to try to improve the experience, they just don't always hit the mark.
Maybe you could add which hardware version you have in your signature. I am curious of hardware v3.0 has the same issues or if the v2.x aren't capable of dealing with the required processing.

rdskill

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
since on 2019.40.50.5 Teslafi (and occasionally the native app) will have the API fail more times than not. still waiting for the .7 update so hope this was something unintentionally broken that is the reason for the quick update(s).

here's a snapshot from last night showing the API fails
I was curious where you found this information on Teslafi. I searched by didn't see it.

JeanDeBarraux

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On a side note, take out your USB drive before rebooting and put it back in after it boots up if you are having issues with voice commands. This is a known fix by a Tesla support person. There is a bug that doesn’t allow the communications portion of the software to reboot if the USB is in there.
I'm still on 50.1, but I will try this later today. Hopefully it will help because, at the moment, the new voice control is completely unusable.

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was curious where you found this information on Teslafi. I searched by didn't see it.
Help -> Raw Data Feed is where you can find this information. I saw a few API login errors yesterday morning however haven't seen any since:

1577971952710-png.31568

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know if "bug report" works differently because I said "bug report the speed limit on this street is incorrect" and the response I got was "unknown command" (or something to that effect). I tried two more times and got the same responses.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s under Help / Raw Data Feed. then noted in the Logger Notes column.
i did get a response back from my bug report on Teslafi saying tesla’s servers were causing the problem and appears to have been corrected.

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
TACC still seems a little off. These are my reproducible problems.

The only phantom braking was a speed change, 55 mph to 40 mph, when the car took the access lane speed while driving in the outside lane of a divided, four lane road. I was passing a section where I frequently take the access road to merge into the main lanes. My speculation is a GPS error.

A second TACC problem is on my residential street, default 30 mph, the TACC indicates 45 mph when driving South-East-South. I quickly spin down the right thumbwheel. But returning home driving North-West-North, it shows no posted speed and takes the set speed. In contrast, our BMW i3-REx ('Magic Eye') reads speed signs and only takes the current vehicle speed.

Bob Wilson

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I don't know if "bug report" works differently because I said "bug report the speed limit on this street is incorrect" and the response I got was "unknown command" (or something to that effect). I tried two more times and got the same responses.
I find since 24 Dec 2019 (50.x) that my in car bug report capability has been effectively broken.

Yesterday, I was given a tip that one can still create a "time hack" type of bug report (with no details of why the report is being made) by simply pushing and holding (for about a second) the icon at the lower left of the screen that normally takes you to "quick controls" menu.

Now, when something stupid happens, I can still tap (and hold for a second) that icon and I get the "bug report has been made (or to that effect)" in the odometer card area.

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I find since 24 Dec 2019 (50.x) that my in car bug report capability has been effectively broken.

Yesterday, I was given a tip that one can still create a "time hack" type of bug report (with no details of why the report is being made) by simply pushing and holding (for about a second) the icon at the lower left of the screen that normally takes you to "quick controls" menu.

Now, when something stupid happens, I can still tap (and hold for a second) that icon and I get the "bug report has been made (or to that effect)" in the odometer card area.
This is a nice workaround however I wish they had a formal bug reporting portal where you could submit the following info:
  • Timestamp from when you filed the in-car bug report
  • Category of the bug
  • The actual problem you were experiencing in detail
  • Workarounds you attempted
I have been providing the above information to the service center if the bug is annoying enough as they mentioned they could route them internally to the appropriate teams. My only concern with this approach is that these folks are busy enough...

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got 50.5 today, then just a few hours later got 50.7. Only managed one short drive on 50.5. Did they find some big bug that must be fixed immediately?
Never had two updates in the same day before.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got 50.5 today, then just a few hours later got 50.7. Only managed one short drive on 50.5. Did they find some big bug that must be fixed immediately?
Never had two updates in the same day before.
Same here. Downloaded 50.5 about an hour ago, went out to the car after it installed, and it said software was up to date. Rebooted, checked for updates, and now it's downloading 50.7. It's as though 50.7 was just an incremental update to 50.5.

Since some of the V10 downloads have been only a couple hundred MB, versus the consistent 400-600MB I saw for every update under V9, it makes me think they've migrated to smaller, more modular firmware deployments, which may occasionally warrant a "waypoint" release.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same here. Downloaded 50.5 about an hour ago, went out to the car after it installed, and it said software was up to date. Rebooted, checked for updates, and now it's downloading 50.7. It's as though 50.7 was just an incremental update to 50.5.

Since some of the V10 downloads have been only a couple hundred MB, versus the consistent 400-600MB I saw for every update under V9, it makes me think they've migrated to smaller, more modular firmware deployments, which may occasionally warrant a "waypoint" release.
Agreed, so I wonder if .5 is required before .7... curious if anyone skips .5

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agreed, so I wonder if .5 is required before .7... curious if anyone skips .5
I see some on TeslaFi going from .1 to .7.

And I’ve been on .5 since Sunday, no .7 yet, so I think it’s just Elon with his random number generator laughing as we try to find a method to it all.

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The earlier versions had symptoms of random core smashers. Not in the critical code but things would break that required a RESET to clear. IF they've gone to a modular software approach, hopefully the symptoms of random code smasher(s) will go away.

Bob Wilson