Software Build v10.2 2019.40.50.5 79b51bc (12/28/2019)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Have you installed 2019.40.50.5?

• Total voters
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This update did nothing for the voice command issues for me. Still same as the previous version. I can't test the text messaging replying either since the voice won't work.
I just spent 30 minutes in my driveway trying the voice commands. Everyone was recognized, either doing what I asked, telling me that the command was recognized (but it did repeat it on the screen), or saying it was not implemented yet. Not once was I told to "Try saying navigate to Palo Alto". So I would say that something seems to have been done to fix the voice commands. BUT, I may have just been lucky. with 50.1 it had gotten pretty bad with maybe a 80 - 90% failure rate. I was on LTE at the time even though I was in wi-fi range.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Homelink in this version (and probably in 50.1 too) now supports a D-Mode. Previously this mode was available only for models S and X. This mode is required to operate Sommer evo+/Pearl 922MHz, Sommer 310MHz (TX03-310 on the back of the transmitter), and Direct Drive 310MHz (blue buttons on the transmitter) openers (https://homelink.com/tesla).
I tried to program my Sommer Direct Drive but without success :(. Well, have to wait for another firmware update, I guess.
How do you know it's supported now, even though you couldn't get it to work?

victor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How do you know it's supported now, even though you couldn't get it to work?
When you start to configure a homelink connection, it offer you a choice to select between a standard mode and a d-mode. This selection wasn't here before. And with d-mode you don't need a remote to pair up with your car.

Sjohnson20

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just spent 30 minutes in my driveway trying the voice commands. Everyone was recognized, either doing what I asked, telling me that the command was recognized (but it did repeat it on the screen), or saying it was not implemented yet. Not once was I told to "Try saying navigate to Palo Alto". So I would say that something seems to have been done to fix the voice commands. BUT, I may have just been lucky. with 50.1 it had gotten pretty bad with maybe a 80 - 90% failure rate. I was on LTE at the time even though I was in wi-fi range.
i just tried again and it worked fine. Seems to depend on when I try.

sterickson

TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
... While the car was quick to move left into the passing lane, at no time would it move back right out of the passing lane. The car has turned in to one of those A-holes who rides in the left lane and forces faster vehicles to go right to pass them. How very American of Tesla! ...
I was really hoping they would have fixed that. It's been a problem for several releases now, and really needs to be fixed.

ibgeek

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same here. Couldn't use NOA at all this morning on the way to the airport!
Not any more sensitive, just making sure you are better informed. The winter months are more prone to sun blindness due to the lower sun angles throughout the day. You will start to see this issue slowly decrease as the days start to get longer now that we are past the winter equinox.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not any more sensitive, just making sure you are better informed.
Perhaps true... but at 35 degrees latitude, the sun angles aren't all that different winter to summer, the roads are currently dry with very little snow. This is the car's 3rd winter too and the first time we've had issues with not being able to use autopilot at all for long portions of a drive. Interesting. Was trying to demo autopilot and it simply wouldn't most all morning. Having said that, tonight heading back, late afternoon and sunset, I had the visor down and couldn't see without a hand in front of my eyes and the car didn't complain at all! Very weird. Wonder if it was a fogged forward-cameras pocket instead of the sun this morning? No way to know I guess.

ibgeek

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Perhaps true... but at 35 degrees latitude, the sun angles aren't all that different winter to summer, the roads are currently dry with very little snow. This is the car's 3rd winter too and the first time we've had issues with not being able to use autopilot at all for long portions of a drive. Interesting. Was trying to demo autopilot and it simply wouldn't most all morning. Having said that, tonight heading back, late afternoon and sunset, I had the visor down and couldn't see without a hand in front of my eyes and the car didn't complain at all! Very weird. Wonder if it was a fogged forward-cameras pocket instead of the sun this morning? No way to know I guess.
Interesting observations. Camera obstruction/blindness is an issue that is going to need to be addressed at some point in the future. Otherwise when we get to FSD we're going to see a bunch of cars that might in some situations simply need to stop in the middle of the road.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When you start to configure a homelink connection, it offer you a choice to select between a standard mode and a d-mode. This selection wasn't here before. And with d-mode you don't need a remote to pair up with your car.
OTOH, it could simply be that they've made that code common between the S, X and 3, but forgot to put in a conditional to not display d-mode as an option on the 3.

Last edited:

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not any more sensitive, just making sure you are better informed. The winter months are more prone to sun blindness due to the lower sun angles throughout the day. You will start to see this issue slowly decrease as the days start to get longer now that we are past the winter equinox.
Driving in similar circumstances last year didn't result in loss in functionality. So not just better informed, but less capable too.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got this last night and so far it suuuuuucks.

1. Voice commands WAY reduced again. Either not working at all or working with huge lag.
2. Voice command pane freezing. At one point during my commute this morning, the volume froze. Could not adjust up or down even though the "indicator" on the screen was showing I was adjusting. Had to re-boot mid screen.
3. Auto lane changes seem to be more hesitant again.
4. Still ping-ponging
5. The "thou shall not overtake with almighty closing speed" is back. It kind of faded out there, but now I saw it again this morning in full force. Slowed me down like 8 MPH below my target speed because there was a lumbering truck in the right lane. IMO, that's not all that safe. If I'm doing the speed limit and someone is in the right lane going very slow below the limit, don't slow me down too!

I did reboot last night (two buttons plus brake) after the install. I'm hoping that a nice sleep after the drive in this morning kind of resets everything. Because it needs it.

Oh, and the one bug I wanted fixed, isn't. (that when the texts are read to you it doesn't mute your audio programming volume). Also, my nav voice is set to off. But if it's reading a text and your nav starts talking...you get the damn nav voice talking over your text!!!

motocoder

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got this last night and so far it suuuuuucks.

1. Voice commands WAY reduced again. Either not working at all or working with huge lag.
Agreed. Voice commands in 2019.40.50.1 were finally working for me. Then I installed this one, and although it is recognizing my speech (prints what I said on the screen) it keeps telling me its an unrecognized command. And this is with me trying out commands that are in the list of those known to work. Took me 20 tries to get it to open the owners manual! And I did a full power off reboot before trying.

ibgeek

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agreed. Voice commands in 2019.40.50.1 were finally working for me. Then I installed this one, and although it is recognizing my speech (prints what I said on the screen) it keeps telling me its an unrecognized command. And this is with me trying out commands that are in the list of those known to work. Took me 20 tries to get it to open the owners manual! And I did a full power off reboot before trying.
You are going to see this for a while. Has very little to do with the update as it's a server side issue. As soon as people get the update they all want to try everything out so the demand on the servers is artificially elevated beyond normal usage. Hopefully Tesla will spin up some more hardware to account for the loads soon.

Jim H

Country
Country
Has anyone lost satellite view on maps with this release? Tried to use voice command with no luck. Globe indicator that was in corner of map no longer there, just supercharger location icon.
Maybe moved somewhere else but could not find any navagition settings for that option anywhere.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone lost satellite view on maps with this release? Tried to use voice command with no luck. Globe indicator that was in corner of map no longer there, just supercharger location icon.
Maybe moved somewhere else but could not find any navagition settings for that option anywhere.
Still present for me.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Works for me. Do you have Premium Connectivity? You’ll lose satellite view without that, and I think it expires for many people today. You can verify Premium Connectivity status by logging into your account, Manage you vehicle, and View Details.

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lane tracking seems smoother. However, the earlier generation, Y-intersections still fail. No problem as I'm used to it.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well that was disappointing. I got home after the update and plugged in. It would not charge until a double-nipple reboot and then I could get charging to work. It complained that I had departure set for the next morning at 7:45 AM.

It is charging now, 5:31 PM, but this is not impressive.

Bob Wilson