Software Build v10.1 2019.40.2 36f8355b35 (12/04/2019)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Have you installed v10.1 2019.40.2 ?

• Total voters

Joaquin

Country
Country
Spotted in a couple of cars in California, according to teslafi.

MODERATOR NOTE:

Please only respond within this software thread if you have information to add. Posts that don't say much beyond "I got it" will be deleted.
Instead, take part in the poll at the top of the page to let everyone know if you've installed this build or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Those are the type of features I wanted in v10! Not I'm feeling lucky about my destination...

Can't wait to see some of these in action.

I feel like Adjacent Speed Lanes has been occurring already, although at a more much limited scale. I've noticed that the car will slow down for people on the on ramp coming on to the highway. Seems like an extension of that. Building out the puzzle. Exciting!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The graphic for Adjacent Speed Lanes in the release notes shows a car three lanes over on the driving visualization. Can anyone with 2019.40.2 confirm that the visualization is actually showing cars beyond the immediate adjacent lanes on the visualization?

Tesla blue 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I experience the adjacent speed adjustment as my car suddenly slowing when I am passing cars in an exit lane on the Right. Often it is a dedicated exit.

sterickson

TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
... I've noticed that the car will slow down for people on the on ramp coming on to the highway. ...
Yes, and that is incorrect driving behavior. The vehicle already on the highway has the right of way. Depending on the state, and the signage on the ramp (or lack thereof) the vehicle entering the highway has to either yield - stopping, if necessary - to that traffic, or they have to match the speed and seamlessly merge into the travel lane. At no time is the vehicle on the highway required to speed up, slow down, stop, change lanes, or do anything else, unless the vehicle entering the highway is about to hit it.

Many times, I've seen people pulled over for not following these rules when entering a highway.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, and that is incorrect driving behavior. The vehicle already on the highway has the right of way. Depending on the state, and the signage on the ramp (or lack thereof) the vehicle entering the highway has to either yield - stopping, if necessary - to that traffic, or they have to match the speed and seamlessly merge into the travel lane. At no time is the vehicle on the highway required to speed up, slow down, stop, change lanes, or do anything else, unless the vehicle entering the highway is about to hit it.

Many times, I've seen people pulled over for not following these rules when entering a highway.
Merging on to a highway is one of those things that is highly region-dependent. The customs are totally different in the San Francisco Bay Area from the New York City area, for example (both places where I drive a lot). In NY, for example, people are taught to drive to the end of the merge lane, stop, and then merge--which still seems crazy to me, but there are sometimes literal stop signs encouraging that behavior. In SF, people are more likely to get up to speed and then hope there's a place for them to slip in--which I can also see some people thinking is crazy!

At some point, FSD is going to need to figure out these regionalisms if Tesla doesn't want to seem like it's cars are driving weirdly. I can think of a couple of different ways those regionalisms could go:

--Firmware could use geolocation to put in some geographical variation in driving style (seems limited to me, as then every car would need to know how to drive everywhere all the time)

--The particular car could learn from it's driver's overrides how to change its style (fine, until you drive to a different part of the country)

--When driving to a new part of the country, the car could download new behaviors (it wouldn't be able to keep up on a cross-country trip, but at least could learn new behavior once you're overnight somewhere with wifi)

--Tesla could just say "deal with it." This is how our cars drive, and we don't care about regionalisms.

The last option is the one in place now, of course. If enough Teslas are on the road, it could even start to change some of the regionalisms, as other cars begin to adapt to the Tesla style.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At no time is the vehicle on the highway required to speed up, slow down, stop, change lanes, or do anything else, unless the vehicle entering the highway is about to hit it.
Completely agree. My Tesla is much too eager to slow down to allow cars to enter from an on-ramp. Many times there is plenty of time to pass the car at both vehicles' current speeds before you reach the merge point.

But it is both courteous and defensive to make room for someone to merge if they've done a poor job of adjusting speed to merge into an existing space. No point risking an accident by assuming they'll slam on the brakes at the last minute rather than swerve into you.

Last edited:

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Whether it's the proper behavior or not, I disagree with this. I don't think you should slam on your breaks to make sure the car entering the highway has room to merge, but I do think cars should change lanes to the left if its open. Then they need to get back in the right-hand lane after the ramp as the left-hand lanes should be used for faster or passing only. Just consideration for everyone on the road.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In NY, for example, people are taught to drive to the end of the merge lane, stop, and then merge--which still seems crazy to me
Wow, that is insane.

If traffic is so bad that I can't see a gap for merging, then I'll stop at the beginning of the merge lane, so that I have time and space to accelerate to fit into a gap I see later.

wst88

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But it is both courteous and defensive to make room for someone to merge if they've done a poor job of adjusting speed to merge into an existing space. No point risking an accident by assuming they'll slam on the brakes at the last minute rather than swerve into you.
I agree, I have to imagine that Tesla is going to design their autopilot to take the SAFEST and most COURTEOUS options especially when the vehicle is in development. My guess is that it will also always take the most courteous options even after.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@MVoccola forgot to post this morning In a meeting now :) anyway it doesnt see oncoming when there is a median. I drove in a 3 lane road with turning lanes it even showed the different line dashes wheater it was solid broken up or solid on one side or another (for passing) but after the median, it didn't show up. I also notice a lot more cars drawn on the display at a busy intersection I noticed a good 10 cars drawn. I'm driving on some divided highways this weekend I can see if it draws the other lanes then, by that time I bet you will get it though.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This firmware release does indeed see stop signs as well as stop lights (semaphores). When driving on autopilot at around 35-40mph I approached both a red light, and later an octagonal stop sign. In Both cases, the car issued the urgent warning klaxon in enough time for me to manually stop the car. In the case of the stop sign, autopilot actually slowed down some prior to sounding the alarm but in retrospect that may have been in response to my approaching the stop sign on a moderately tight, sweeping downhill curve.

My car: USA, Dec 2018, M3P+, EAP, add-on FSD.